Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child

the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #14879

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
hi all,i just bought a 62 glasspar lido,that im going to restore during the winter and spring,i hope,lol.
but in my search for a cheap boat ,i was inspired by "wmlagna",who gave a kid with cancer a boat.
now what i want to do is offer my free labor to restore a donated boat motor and trailer,and then paint it to match the lido,ill try to buy extra paint for this.
i then think when its done we should sell this boat and give the money to a family of a sick child to help with medical bills and such.,we could even name the boat after that child.
or i plan on naming my lido,"once apon a time"we could name it "once apon a time II".
its all up to the fiberglassics family here.
about all im going to be able to give is the free labor,but it will be a pleasure to do so.
now what is needed is a committee of fiberglassics members to ,find a boat,get donations ,and virtualy handle all of this,im not great at paper work,lol.
about in 2006,the members of fiberglassics ,helped out my brother in laws family with project x,now its time i repay that fantastic feat of commpassion,thanks to all who helped with project x.
as we go along ,if we get enough interest in this,ill need people to handle things like keeping track of donations,and picking a deserving family.
please vote if you like this idea.
and nominate some people to do this.or volenteer if your interested in being a part of the committee,thank you ,sincerly,john gibson. p.s. im doing this now so that after i get the lido done this spring,everything should be ready to go on the boat to be auctioned off.
also,all of you come up with a name for this project and then vote on it,that way when its posted,we will know what its all about.OK WE NAMED IT "PROJECT X 2011"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14880

john, i can handle any paperwork associated with this. ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14881

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron thats great,i was going to nominate you,but didnt because i didnt want to put too much on your plate with yur health being bad,thanks john,now we need more folks also,kind of majority rules type thing.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14904

john, my health is great...dialysis does wonders. lab results perfect 4 straight months. i'm hounding the team to cut me to 2 days a week. myself and others feel that 3x a week is not needed. it just sets up there schedule best and earns more $ for the hospital. i've been getting adamant about this every time i'm there and the doc avoids me, doesn't want a confrontation i guess. i go from friday afternoon to monday afternoon. thats 2 off days and theres no problem, so why have me going every other day during the week. its the money i tell ya. i could understand if my lab results were poor but this isn't the case. well...enough rambling gotta wax the manta. ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14913

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thats great ron,fantastic to hear,my doctor is still playing games here too,did you talk to yours about what i have to do?mine wont even discuss it yet.

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14942

Ron, I'm in the same boat with you: I feel fantastic and I'm getting a lot of work done on the Seafair and the downstairs bathroom. John, if your issue is orthopedic-related, I can ask my brother. I have a boat I could donate, but Florida is a long way off from where you are!

Blest boater

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14946

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
mtdoragary Your back. Folks on the g3 forum were thinking about you this summer. Glad you have recoverd, Mike

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14952

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks gary,my issue is my heart,3 heart attacks and 1 blood clot,all that damaged the left side of my heart,what im talking about is donating a kidney for ron,butmy doctor is giving me the runaround,saying i have to find out why im having fainting spells first.
and by the way im glad your back,i was worried about you ,when tiffin told me about it,im glad your ok,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14975

mtdoragary wrote:

Ron, I'm in the same boat with you: I feel fantastic and I'm getting a lot of work done on the Seafair and the downstairs bathroom. John, if your issue is orthopedic-related, I can ask my brother. I have a boat I could donate, but Florida is a long way off from where you are!

glad to hear your back at it Gary.give my best to Ivy. ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #14976

john-gibson wrote:

thats great ron,fantastic to hear,my doctor is still playing games here too,did you talk to yours about what i have to do?mine wont even discuss it yet.

not yet john. i guess i feel to good to think about it, but i'm sure that won't last indefinetly and if it does they will probably run all kinds of tests to figure out why. lol ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15001

Hey,

Talked to ron last night who told me about this, then john while he was falling asleep....so.

Here's my take on this:

Let's say, we give this a year and still call it Project X, the First Project X didn't have a year so if the term "Project X" gets a year tagged on to it then people here will know it a project with a cause and it is current.

it late 2010, so why not tag it "Project X 2011"

when do you want me start working on some graphics?

if I toss in 5% of the sells of the navicards from folks here on fiber would that help?
(See john, don't let that lower lip dip to soon)

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15002

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
great mark,lets get this rolling,so far you ,ron and gary have offered help,thanks guys,i appreciate it and so will the kid that we find. who wants to run this?im nominating ron and mark,they did fantastic with the 1st project x.
does anyone know of a family with a sick child that this "projectx 2011" can help?if so let us know,even if its just us few,we will do it one way or another,john
mark ill send you some pics for your navicards and buy some,thanks john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15003

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ooops i forgot catfin,said he will help with the hardware,thanks catfin,and sorry i forgot ya,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15025

Aw, Ron I didn't know you had issues. But you're right having a diagnosis really helps.

My youngest missed half the school year with migraines, it turned out she had a brain hemorrhage and needed surgery. Eek what a mess.

I hope you all well.

And I'll think on this. It sounds like a wonderful project.

So far, I know of a 25 foot Silverton? Someone wants a grand for but may give up as a tax right off since it's just sitting there rotting. I'll ask.

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15026

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
penny its a true pleasure to meet you,and that would be great but my little garage isnt big enough,lol,its only 14x 24,the boat is bigger.about 17 foot is all i can handle,and its still crowded,lol.
just your willingness to help,is a great gesture,it warms my heart,thank you,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15028

I'll keep thinking, anyway.

I see a lot of cute little boats in in fields, but it's a pain in the arse to get papers for them. I know this first hand:)

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15030

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
penny,im in pennsylvania,all we need here is a bill of sale from the owner,or whoever says its his,pa is pretty easy to regiter a boat here.and we thank you for looking for us,just make it an easy restoration,lol,just kidding we will make do with what we get,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15129

now come on, I really didn't do all that much with Project -X-, other than write about it...There where the Nut & Bolt Crew with a broken wing (Tim), there was ron who ran the donation part and emails in the back keeping everyone informed...

here is where ron could fill in a lot of missing people that where instrumental in making it come around, I was just a guy with a idea.

heck All's I really did was tell a story backwards on the bow of a boat...If I could have done more I would of.

maybe with project 2011...I will be able to do more.

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15137

I'll donate a Merc 500 for that Project X, if someone is willing to make arrangements to come and get it. Mark can elaborate on the motor as it was previously his, and has not been touched since. I do not have controls for it. It needs a cosmetic overhaul.

Located about 30 minutes from Niagara Falls, on the snowy side of the border.

If someone wants to pursue this, let me know.
Attachments:

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15138

I will make a $150 donation for the project when it gets going. Just let me know who to send it to. Thanks for spearheading this.

woodboat
Corinne
(in Dixie) B)

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15151

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
glastron,maybe one of our new york members can get it for us,and i and we thank you for it,john,we wont need it until summer but ,i have a glasspar to work on now,but if we get it now one of us can store until its needed,thank you again,john
corinne,thank you so much, i think ron is going to handle the paper work and money,ill let that part up to him,im just going to resto whatever boat we can find,im hoping it just needs paint ,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15178

Count me in for $100 towards materials.

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15196

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
boy,thanks brian,ill try to make you proud,i know i cant restore a boat as good as you can,but ill aspire to that,thanks john.

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15210

that girl from Alabama is at the plate again. for those who are unaware with Project X, it was just talk amongst a few of us, until Corrine (woodboat), sent us a large donation. i think we were overwhelmed by her generosity and it just snow-balled from there with donations from every part of the country. as mark stated Tim C did most of the work getting the boat ready for presentation.. he did this with a BROKEN ARM. he also delivered the boat to our northeast meet at Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania. Dave A. (cc 1000) helped tim out with the delivery. so all i can say to this gracious woman is "thanks sugah". Brian Lawson (crosbyboat)let me thank you also for your generous offering. thanks to our friend in Canada for the merc 500 that somehow we will secure.
lets not forget the person who concieved this idea and will be doing the restoration "FOR FREE"...John Gibson..Thankyou John, Ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15217

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
awww shucks(looking down and kicking a rock),lol,thanks ron i was worried at 1st but it looks like it might come along,we have alot of time yet,it will be more like spring ,as to when i start on whatever we get,after my lido restore,(i only have temporary electric heat and propane heat in the garage.)
it was great of tim and corrine,but i think tim willbe too busy with his new venture.
now its time for project x #2.
thanks to everyone involved in both of them,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15234

Frank A. has offered to restore the trailer associated with Projject X 2011. thanks Frank. ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15236

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron ,thats great,if we get one,lol,frank would be the perfect guy for that,and it would take some presure off me,all i would have to worry about restoring is the boat.
im no mechanic so i hope someone can restore the motor .
ron i think you should start a new thread about "projectx 2011",because it seems we are the commitee,and it deserves a thread of its own.
list all the fantastic people that are donating.
then we will need a bank account,just for this,and everything we buy,post the reciepts in that forum so everyone can see how the money is being spent.
i wonder if kelly would let us make it a sticky post?
it is fg members that are doing this ,once again.
we will keep posting pics as we go along,heck by summer we should be ready to roll on this.
by the way thanks frank.john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15237

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by the way,if we get more than one offer to donate a boat,we can have the fg family,(every member)vote on which boat to restore.
hmmmmm,i wonder if the make a wish foundation could recomend a family with a sick child,who has high medical bills,and would love to have a classic boat named after him,or her.
something like "billys wish" or "donnas dream"as an example,but with that childs name in it.
or if one of our members knows of a family like that,in need of help,please nominate them.

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15267

john,whats a stickypost?

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15280

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Keeps a post at the top of the list in that section of the forum Ron.
(At the top of the main forum we're in now is one that's done that way, the background in yellow instead of white. "If you have literature to contribute".)

Mark

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15290

I'm definitely on board for this. I'll donate parts, money or whatever. I'll also keep my eye out for a boat (the one I posted that is on Grand Island might not be bad)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15295

hey guys i know i dont post offen but i did donate for x and i will do the same here. count me in for 100 and just let me know where to send it. i also will donate some life jackets and such but i need to know where to send them. rich

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15303

Gee Rich, good to see ya. Don't be so darn shy!

Frank

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15304

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,thanks tudor,which boat?is it in the clasifieds?
thanks rich as for the money send it to ron ,and ill get it as the boat needs it,and post the reciepts for it,as for the rest of the stuff se,i guess if its for the boat send it here,that when the boat is done it will all be together,ron you need to give your adress,i would but i dont want to without your permission.
thanks to everyone ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15311

ya frank 65 hours a week all summer boat sank two weeks ago not much time. boat looks great btw frank.

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15317

my adress...8 pearl court...lodi,n.j. 07644..phone 201-843-1347
the money will be kept in a seperate account as i do with the calendar money, and funneled to john as he needs it. good to hear from you rich. mark told me about your boat. thanks to you and tudor.
ron

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15320

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Gentleman;
Count me in. I can do something like a trailer jack, trailer lights and connecter. Ignition switch, light switch, lights, rope cleats things of that nature. Let me know, give me a list.
This is going to be a wonderful contribution to someone. This is a bit premature, but hats off to everyone who is going to make this happen. You are all huge hearted people.

Neil
Out here in Idaho.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15323

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks neil,its much appreciated,as soon as we get a boat ill know what ill need and post it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:committee wanted for special project 13 years 7 months ago #15326

Gezz john, hows that lower lip...looks like this has got a little throttle to it suddenly.

kind of ...starting to feel like the old fiber a little.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #15332

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
houston,yep,there now seems to be interest in this,im so happy to see the fg gang get into this project,its a great feeling.john

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)