TOPIC: ever hear of too many?

ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1439

• houston
  • houston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok,

Thank god I sold the funliner, and the paddle boat when I did, a couple of weeks ago we got a visit from our new code enforcement officer who loves to see half page spreads about how well he is doing his job in the local paper.....

so...

I have learned, scene I have a boat and it is on a trailer, I can not have a utility also so I had to scrap my double axle utility trailer in order to stay out of the courts and that local paper.

today wala, I got this week edition and again the enforcement officer has another half page spread, in this weeks it reads:

At a home on Auburn Ave was found to be in violation of town code regarding to many trailers/boats on the property, three trailers and three boats where in the back yard. Police got a call from the owner who said...."it was difficult to move the boats in the middle of winter"

I live right around the corner from there...and truthfully, I never even seen a boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1442

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Post deleted by it's author.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1445

OK so I bought a place near the lake (weekend place). It is a bit run down, and I have been rehabbing it. It looking better, however one of the lots next to cannot have a well or a septic system installed (too small) there forth it is a empty lot. and the owner had pissed off the old owner of my place. One of reason for him not selling it to him.

That guy is trying every thing to force me to sell to him.
He has called for me having too many boats on the lot. ...Not breaking any law and with in the rules of the subdivision. Called in on me for trash on the lot I was trimming the trees, and the officer said I had 31 days from date of visit to clean up...I stopped work on picking up the trimmed off limbs till the last day.

Now I pulled out the bath tubs, sinks, and bowls. called on. because they were stacked up till I got a full trailer (said I was storing trash (2 weeks ends..They are now sitting on his side of the lot along the street (I have the corner lot) filled with dirt and will soon have plants in them

The officer laughs and said that he could not do anything about art!

Now it is my turn. No camping in the subdivision. no storing boats less there is a building on the land. No camp fires in the subdivision. No storage buildings can be built till there is a house.

And by State law no house can be built less there is a state approved septic system installed

Do not p**s off the Irish

CAVU

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1450

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I guess (deleted) and I should be glad we live where we do! Some of the "upscale" neighborhoods do have covenants, but man it sounds like they're really tough in some areas of the country. Come into my backyard starting some crap like that and my attitude is going to turn ugly in a hurry. I understand no one wants to live beside Sandford & Sons, (front yard junkyard), but I thought this was America.

I pulled the Tornado around to the driveway yesterday to finish re-installing the lower unit after a complete water pump rebuild and cooling system flush, and you should see the trenches the trailer tires left in the yard! The ground is still very soft after all the precip. this winter. (The Starflite is still inside the garage, getting ready for carb, f/p, water pump kits, etc.)

TT - As far as construction refuse goes, I was going to suggest a tarp over it, but it sounds like you're having more fun doing it your way. Kudos to you brother! :woohoo:

Mark

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1464

ahhhhh.......the joys of living in the country. my other home in the poconos has very few restrictions. its nice to have a campfire at night and no one calling the authorities about the smoke. now as far as new jersey goes... here in my town i have to keep my tractor hidden behind the house, or in my garage, since its illegal to have agricultural equipment in plain sight.trailered boats must be parked on a hard surface ie: macadam,concrete,or pavers. need i go on.....ron
Attachments:

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1466

It's called zoning. And it's in place for a reason. Just like laws to stop industry from dumpng toxic wastes in our waterwys. The laws and zoning are in place to protect the greater population.

Who wants to live next to someone's junk yard?

If you don't like the zoning where you are, attempt to change the laws thru the electoral process by electing legislators who are in your "camp", so to speak.

Andreas

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1468

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
File for a remodeling/construction permit. That's how unfinished homes can continue to have lumber and fixtures in the front in some states. I would say zoning is more for keeping residential areas, residential. When I lived in Ft.Lauderdale and North Miami, stores and shopping centers could build almost right next to your home. It's totally different here in the midwest. Maybe just buy him a beer and try to buddy up with the code enforcer?

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1469

Some folks are reasonable and can resolve most any issue in an easy talk over a beer. Others aren't so reasonable and then the law becomes a tool for reprisal- your's and there's. Best to know your local laws, keep your head, or you might end up losing your individual rights and be put in jail over some superfluous issue like boat storage and property rights.

All of your important rights and the rule of law is much better than no law and the right to do whatever you want. I agree with Andreas- if you think the law has taken away an important right then organize a petition and change it.

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1477

If you can do it, so can your neighbor!...civilized societies "take away your rights" and "steal your property", so I don't have to see your junk, smell the stuff you are burning, witness you ruin the environment, or watch my property values go down the toilet because I live next to you.

Don't give boating a bad name, keep your collection within reason folks.

P.S. ...can you tell I have a few neighbors that only care about themselves?

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1478

Post deleted by author

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1482

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Post deleted by author.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1484

Sorry houston I did not mean to Hijack the thread...Allan

This is in the country, Mo permit require. and all of the zoning reg are met by me...Just the AH next door is trying to force me to sell to him. He did not build fast enough to get grandfather in on the well septic system for a 1/4 acre lot. new state law (17 years old) and Fed law for being near the lake, is min of 2 acres; and we are also the nearest lot that one can get to the lake. He just pissed of the old owner and trying the same to me, but it will not last long, for I have a deeper pocket then him.

as is the lot is useless to him for the truth is he cannot park a boat there, camp there, or do anything but Picnic till a house is built on the lot

there is no rules about yard art, but he cannot have any till a house is built

CAVU

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1486

• bubba
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Houston,

That rule does seem to be a bit restrictive: that you can't have a utility trailer AND a boat? I could see if the trailer is unregistered as most cities want to collect taxes on vehicles. I would call and check on that regulation to be sure.

Allan,

Maybe you could offer your neighbor $500 for his lot, he might bite.

I agree in general that the rule of law is important, but sometimes need to be questioned.

Bubbba

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1505

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well the thing is, a boat "normally" is on a trailer... and that trailer has a use...for the boat.

it gets allot better...you can have only one "recreational vehicle" park here, and that "term" covers a camper, a boat....a diving bell, just joking about the diving bell.

The thing of it all is, we have enough room next to the garage to park two trailers behind the fence like the funliner use to be behind the cobia, and they where behind the fence facing the street, but...that would not matter.

I can have a utility trailer and another boat..if I park them in the garage

I told genny after reading the town codes, this new code enforcement officer has taking "America" as I use to know it with his crossing of the T's and dotting the I's

P.s....no one can hijack a thread I started, I like them to have any input from any angle.

P.s...S

this city living...S%$K's, John Denver summed it up perfectly with his THANK GOD I'M A COUNTRY BOY

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1508

"it gets allot better...you can have only one "recreational vehicle" park here, and that "term" covers a camper, a boat....a diving bell, just joking about the diving bell."
i knew you would sneak the meteor in there somewhere! :laugh: ron
Attachments:

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1509

Attachments:

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1529

It's interesting. The community where I live has very restrictive and strange zoning laws (can't plant trees shorter than 6 ft), but they haven't hit me on boats yet. I currently have two boats, a spare boat trailer (plan to sell) and a utility behind my garage. My neighbor has a lot more junk than I do, but he has a 6 ft stockade fence around it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #1677

man,im glad i live in the country on 9 acres and recently got another 1 1/2 acres that borderes mine,i can do almost what i want,my water comes from an old milkhouse with spring water,i put in my own septic tank and field,(all to spefications).
i can have whatever i want,i just put in a garage,no permit required,
i only need a permit from the township if i build a new house,and the guys that run the township are great,10 bucks for a permit.
now dont get me wrong ,my property looks great i dont have junk laying around(my wife would kill melol)but i have a backhoe,lowboy ,utility trailer ,had a cabin cruiser,a car a truck,riding mower,camping trailer etc,but i store them nicely behind the house.
on my lower ground i put in 2 small ponds ,no permit required.
nowthe bad part is down the road from me is a car junkyard,this guy doesnt sell anything from them,he just does demolition derbys,then puts the cars there,recently his mobile home caught on fire and folks came to his rescue,hes only in his 30s ,i saw him the other day and he said he doesnt want a job,and things are very tough,so i suggested he sell his smashed up cars for junk,he has over 50 or 60 cars there,if hes so hard up for cash,but he said if he cant have fun at derbys whats the use in living( these cars are already smashed up),
so i guess what imtrying to say is even in the country there are people that get carried away,and i can see the reason for some rules.
wow i just looked back at what i wrote,sorry for being so long winded,lol,john,ps besides the 1 1/2 acre bordering my property i bought it in the hopes of getting a gas well put in,(free gas and maybe a royalty.)you have to have over 10 acres for that.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:ever hear of too many? 14 years 1 month ago #2067

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well..here's an update:

The guy with three boats, ok he has three boats...rather large boats (bigger than the cobia) but they are "kept" boats (as in shrunk wrapped/winterized) where I don't see an issue with that...

now you go one "short" block away from this guy, in a drive way right next to the street, which is one car long...sits next to a garage is a car no tires...doors...hood...windows...nutting, and nothing is said.

the guy across the street, lit his fireplace up...a neighbors "guest" brought a teenager with them, he went for a walk down our street and called the fire department...because the smoke stack had allot of smoke coming out of it...let me count the firetrucks that showed up, now I just tell the neighbor I don't want to hear him complaining about how high our taxes are....

this has become a crazy town.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7111 guests and no members online