Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP!

Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #141

This is on a '59 Crosby Cruisette.. The wood is completely rotten inside the 2 pieces of fiberglass/metal plating(inside) and I'm wondering if cutting the whole thing out & replacing it is best? Or just taking out the rotten & replace with new wood & bulking the whole transom up would be better? I talked to a friend that owns a boat repair shop and he said since it's laminated (not actually bonded together) between the 2 pieces, I should just replace the wood & bulk it up. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
-Matt

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

Re:Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #145

First welcome! A Cruisette?! Sweet! That said, are you talking bad transom or bad core. Hard to tell from your description or photos. Transoms are easy. Cores not so. Anything is fixable with time and money. And I do love Crosby boats!

Re:Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #147

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, as Crosby says, some photos from different views would help. I saw this boat where you posted it in the Gallery. Lovely boat! I love old cruisers.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #150

Thanks! Umm, I guess it's the core that is bad..(again, lack of boating knowledge :S ) It's just the wood that is between the outer & inner layer of fiberglass. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow if my explanation is still not sufficient. You can see in the bottom pic that the dark spot is where the wood has already fallen out. From what I can tell, the outer & inner pieces that 'sandwich' the wood are still in good shape. The top pic looks rougher than it really is; it has some kind of sealer on the edges so it looks like the whole thing is cracked. This may seem like a silly explanation, but imagine this is the transom [|] The [ and ] are fiberglass and the | is rotten wood.. maybe that helps?

“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

Re:Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #152

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
OK I think I understand what you are saying. You should cut out the inner fiberglass layer of the transom to make your repairs. A multi tool is great for this.

It should never be done from the outside since that is part of the hull. After a new core is in place, then you would re glass the inside, molding it back into the hull.

If you've never done it before myself or many others here can tell you how.

The first one is a mystery. :unsure:
After that, they are pretty easy.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Transom - Replace or Repair? HELP! 14 years 2 months ago #156

Ok sounds good! Thanks for your help and for bearing with me! :laugh: You too crosbyboat!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)