Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It's not like I have to much to do as it is.

It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1407

• Heather
  • Heather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Today the sun is shining, most of my projects & jobs are on time.I got tired of looking out the window at it and feeling anxious to get it stabilized. So, I moved the 57 Rocket into the small shop to get all the hardware and gel coat off it. I think it can get it taken down to glass pretty quickly over then next few nights. Wish me luck.... Some day I shall take a day off. :P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1408

Be glad you can do it Heather. I'm just glad I built my hot rod 10 years ago. No way I could do it today.

Boat is getting there. Clean, sand, paint on outboard stuff lately, most every day much as I can.

Good luck with the Rocket. Keep us posted.

Frank

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1411

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey frank, no problem. Just keep plugging away at that Power Cat. I want to see you finish that thing. I know I have kinda picked at you about "Going All Frank On It" When some one keeps at some body work but it's a admiration of your perfection. Hey at least you finished a car. I worked on one for 4 years and gave up. Sold it on E-bay as a project.

What do you or anyone think of these tunnels under the forward deck? You think there was wood in these? There is nothing now. I can't see any rot dust in them, Any other boats have this configuration of just a glass tube?
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1413

Yep--- My 61 Bowman has the same hollow braces under the deck.
Attachments:

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1415

Heather, the tunnels under my deck were 1/2 cardboard tubes. I don't know if we're talking about the same thing.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1420

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cardboard? Humm it could have been? I cant see any traces of a material that may have been in them but I also can't believe all they were was just some glass mat. If they were cardboard this is not going to work. I will spin some oak on the lath and cut it.

Well I have everything off and have started lightly grinding the gel coat off. You ask why? I can pick it off with my finger. It's got to be re coated. Any way... Who is good at steering wheel restorations?
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1428

How about a picture or two of the steering wheel Heather? What kind is it? Eastwood sells kits to rebuild wheels, but sometimes it can be done with regular glass and fill stuff.

Frank

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 2 months ago #1429

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I am not sure frank. It has no markings. I have tried to do some wheels way back about 20 years ago and had no luck. I would like to keep as much of this boat as I can The cleats are shot. More than just pits. the pot mettle is brittle. I am going to send the bow light and handle off to see about re chroming. There were 2 switches in the dash. The Bakelite insulators were gone in them when I pulled them The Gale Dash plate is still good and the windscreen is good. So, I would like to keep the wheel but I need a pro job on it. When I take them on the lake I want people to see these boats as a representation of my work.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 1 month ago #1848

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well it's been about a week and I have just about all the dead gel coat off. Talk about a dusty mess. Maybe next week I can flip it over and start building up the under deck.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 1 month ago #1849

What kind of sander do you use to get the gelcoat off. The gel coat on my boat is crazed very bad all over. I was planning on sanding it down to bare fiberglass and regelcoating. I have a DA to sand it with but im afraid thatll take forever. Does it all need to come off to keep it from cracking in the future?

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 1 month ago #1851

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I use multiple sanders. There is no one sander I guess for a entire project. I guess I would say, I use a grinder with a 80 grit disk to get the bulk of it off. You have got to be careful and have some practice. It only takes a second to cut deep with a grinder,Ok? Assume you have that practice down pat, next I used a belt sander to get it cut down a bit more and fair out the gashes left I still leave by the grinder. Lastly I use a palm air orbital sander and varying grades of sandpaper depending on the surface condition.

The tight areas I use a Bosch multi tool. Dramel makes one for under $100 and I suggest you get one. They are invaluable in boat work. I just have got a Fien, I shall let you know how well that works soon.

After all this is done, I spray on a polyester filler with a heavy viscosity spray gun. It's a glazing putty thinned with acetone. Then this is sanded till a smooth finish is achieved. Then I spray a few coats of fiberglass resin thinned again with acetone. Again smoothed. Then shoot the final coat of Gel Coat or Polyurethane and that is it. I have had great results and no re-cracking problems. There are many ways to do it. Find what works for you and proves durable and prefect your style and enjoy it...
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 1 month ago #1857

If you're working indoors without a vacuum pickup on your sander your shop will be in ruins soon. The sanding dust will get into everything, ruin motor bearings, lay on horizontal surfaces and make future painting a nightmare. I highly recommend using sanders with vacumm pickup. My Dewalt 5" 8 hole ($90) I was able to easily adapt using a 40' pool hose. I put the shop vac outdoors and run the 40' hose into the shop. I get no sanding dust regardless of whether I'm using 50 or 220 grit. When I need to use the angle grinder, I take the project outdoors, period. I run a series of 3 fans behind the work and blow the gelcoat away from me. Also, I highly recommend you upgrade to a real respirator with a good filter. If you're going to be doing this work for the long run invest in the right safety equipment up front. It will save your lungs. You want a REALLY good organic capable respirator if you're spraying styrenes, urethanes, etc.

Re:It's not like I have to much to do as it is. 14 years 1 month ago #1861

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good point, crosby! Safety first.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'