Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Progress on my Power Cat 14T

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6006

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
ATABOY, that's what I wanted to hear. Onward and upward, my friend. Man, I'm envious, those seats are gorgeous! Bet they're pretty comfortable too. I'm putting a set on my list to Santa this year. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6009

Seats may be up in the air given the news this morning Mark. My wife works for the state, and the gov has announced a furlough plan for most state employees to give up a day a week until the legislature passes a budget (due last April 1). Each day she misses would buy one seat. :( I have some old hard plastic ones I can use if need be, or I'll make some out of plywood and foam!

Can't wait to get that old merc on the Power Cat!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6149

F - You r pre-launch gift arrived today. Will deliver tomorrow. Already tried mine. They look great. B
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6152

Very cool. Thanks B. In the process of mounting the 1000. Will probably still be in that process after work here tomorrow. Things are going well. Got new stainless cleats today, some new (cheap) nylon dock line (3/8 X 15), and some small stainless eyes for tying off fenders. Got a letter & # kit, few other things. Got aluminum sheet/plate to protect the inside and outside of the transom. Also got a heli coil kit for one of the heads in the hot rod. I stripped a header bolt hole re-attaching my headers. Got to get that fixed!

See you tomorrow.

Frank

A story in pictures. 13 years 11 months ago #6208

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6209

• MarkS
Now she's starting to look like a real boat again Frank, congratulations!

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6210

Congrats Frank! I've been watching since the day you started the project..... quite a journey. I sold my boat last year but I may just go to Silver Lake again this year just to see your boat!

Its going to be hard to read these forums without your daily update of the project log. It is the first thread I check each time I connect.

Wish I was there to participate.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6211

Chris, we have to find you a boat.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6214

Daveswaves wrote:

Chris, we have to find you a boat.

Yup Dave, you are correct. Currently working on it! I still have my heart set on another Glastron/Carlson of some flavor. If you see any float by your window let me know :)

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6215

oh yeah! Now it's looking like it should! Glad to see everything coming together.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6217

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Considering the hull design and power to weight ratio, I'll wager the final prop will be a 22" pitch bass boat style prop in stainless steel. Low 60mph top end with good holeshot.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6220

Thanks guys! I'm just glad the big merc went on okay, and all my efforts building that custom transom paid off. Got the motor right where I want it.

I centered the motor by triangulation, thanks to a suggestion from Dave Bernard. I got it on such that I could just move it back and forth, then took measurements from the center of the bolt holes for the transom bracket to the inner edge of each outside sponson. I believe I got this baby to within 1/64" of center.

Had a little problem last night when I was done. Couldn't start my new GMC. For some reason, the security system went nuts, and while I had plenty of power, I didn't have ignition. So for the first time since I bought the truck, I called Onstar. The bottom line is they were of no help, but while we were talking and getting switched around, I tried it again and vroom, vroom. Apparently when my security light is flashing, I have to wait 10 minutes before I can start the truck. Gee, that real helpful...

Got to move the boat inside for work today I guess. Need to mount the steering, cut a hole for the tach, figure out where to mount the trim pump, build some seat bases, mount some hardware, stuff like that. The goal is to be done by June 1, if not before.

By the way, I have a feeling Kerry is close to correct with his prop recommendation. Only problems is it sounds expensive! All I have to start with is a 19 pitch two blade aluminum. Got a tach and a hand held GPS for speed, so at least I'm on the right track for figuring this stuff out.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6222

• MarkS
Morning Frank. What tach are you going to be using? (Got pic?) If it's one of the old Airguides you don't have to cut a hole, just drill a one inch hole just below center for the one little bump out in the back (where the needle mounts in the gauge), and can also run the wires thru there. Then the three mounting screw holes and you're done without a big cutout!

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6223

Top of the mornin to you sir!

I have two tachs Mike, a VDO and a Sunpro. Both are made to either mount on a steering column or in a dash. I'm going to put steering in 1st today, then take a look at where I want to mount one of these. Both are universal tachs, with switches for four stroke 4,6 or 8 cylinder. Even though the merc is two cycle, it's dual ignition, so setting these babies to 6 cylinder and hooking to only one side of the ignition (one of the two coils) gives you accurate rpm. I got both of them for nothing from a buddy who scraps cars and trucks, so no investment, and they both work fine.

I really hustled last night after dinner to get the motor hood on and take some pics. Go to move my new truck and it won't even turn over. Somehow the security system turned itself on and wouldn't let me go. Long story short, ten minutes later it started, but too late to pull the boat away from the garage for better pics, got dark quick. I was so glad to be done, I came in, had a few drinks, fell asleep. Left the truck windows open all the way, and last night it poured of course. Oh well, needed to clean the interior anyways.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6224

Chris, I will watch out for you. Still kicking myself for not picking up that Contender last year.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6225

• MarkS
Sweet rev meters buddy, either one will look great! Sorry to hear about the trouble with the Jimmy, dang new-fangled equipment anyway. I've got to call around to the junk yards today and find a passenger side mirror for my F150. I was looking at a boat along side the road yesterday morning on the way to work, got too close to somebody's mail box, and WHAM! (Just keep the Bonehead stunts coming.) I wanted to take the Starflite to the lake today, but think I better get the mirror fixed first. :blush:

PS - Just noticed someone whacked my karma down again, guess I'd better be less "opinionated" on here - Sorry Y'all, I'll try to do better!
I think Precious (the cat) wants to go for a boat ride!
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6226

Yeha Mark, both tachs look great. I'll probably go with the black one, but we'll see.

I've been having some issues with that security light, but this is the first time it's said "No, can't go." It's goin in the shop next week to replace a piece of trim that's comin off, so we'll add the security system to the list.

NAPA may have those mirrors too. F150 is THE popular truck. You might wanna check the price at NAPA or even ford before you head out to the boneyard.

My cat doesn't even go out of the house, doubt she wants a boat ride. :)

I gotta go get at it. Later.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6227

looking good cant wait to see pic's of it in the water

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6228

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, Frank, those props are pricey, but who sez you need a new one? Many dealers have nice used ones, and deals sometimes show up on Craigslist. Be real nice to the better half, and maybe she can surf while you wrench. BTW, I like the white tach. Matches the hull color, shows good against that red dash.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6230

Thanks Kerry. Working on getting steering in right now. Have made three templates for hub mount holes, next one should peg it.

Now's not a good time to discuss toy stuff. Wife works for the state and the gov has proposed furloughs of a day/week until the legislature adopts a budget. That could be a while, and we would be looking at a substantial hit. Think I'll make do for now!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6243

Steering is in the dash, but I can't find the connector for the steering cable to the motor. Grrrrr!

Oh well, controls next.

Frank

I need one of these!

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6264

Got a hole in the splashpan, power, cables and gas coming through a grommet, steering hooked up. Need to make another hole for the steering, connect the control cables, adjust the steering wheel, lot of little details around the rest of the boat. Got a lot done today.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6331

Need seats, PT&T installed, #s and letters, step plates and Power Cat logos. Other than that, got power, control, steering, fuel, could go boating if I had a seat!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6332

Looks good Frank!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6374

Thanks Doug. It was a virtual whirlwind of activity from 5 Friday night to 5 Sunday night. It took me the better part of an hour last night just to gather tools, put them away, and clean up a bit. I intended to start the motor on the boat last night, but I'd had enough, plus it was ear muff cold here. Was even thinking about dropping it in the Hudson just for a few pics, but too cold and windy, and me with no fenders and brand new shiny rub rail.

Speaking of rub rail, one of the things I haven't done yet is clean up the rub rail that goes around the inside. I have a few other things to sand - the badly pitted metal that surrounds the step plates, and my Power Cat logos. More stuff to bolt on!

Going to be gone next weekend, but I think I can have her done by June. Really the last big job is installing the PT&T.

Have a great day!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6376

• MarkS
Here comes Frank out of turn 4, down the mainstretch to the finish line! Awesome job this weekend buddy, you got a LOT done. ;)

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6378

Yep, not much more, but details always take a lot of time Mark. It's mounting that trim pump and wrestling trim hoses that gives me pause. Probably best to wait to put those trim hoses on on a nice warm day, leave em out in the sun a while, see if they might get a bit more flexible.

Still need a bunch of safety equipment too, but got two or three paddles, so I'm not in too bad a shape! :laugh:

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6382

My main complaint about Mercury motors is the ridiculous power tilt/trim setup they used. It's awkward to install and really kills the look of a classic boat with all the hoses and crap it requires. But, you gotta love it once it's installed! lol

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6383

Tell em about it Doug! Most all the aftermarket units use external motors, not internal. Run power and presto zippo. Not these old mercs though. And let me tell you, brand new hoses can only be described as STIFF!!! Mounting the pump is one thing, routing those new hoses and hooking them up will not be fun. Once it's working though, it WILL be fun!

I'm so stiff from working on that boat and trailer over the weekend I'm glad to be at my regular job... :laugh:

Enjoy yer day sir,

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6818

• MarkS
Morning, Frank! I know you've been busy with graduations and such, just wondering how the PC is coming along? (Glad the good Doctor was able to help out with the control piece(s)!)

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6822

I was too brain dead from lack of sleep to do anything last night Mark.

Yesterday we found a new boating resource on the way home from Buffalo, namely Bass Pro Shops out in Auburn NY. I have wanted a back-up motor in case the old Merc quit, and got a more-than-adequate transom mount trolling motor on sale. Even though we had a letter & #s kit from NAPA, Bass Pro shops had red ones, so we picked them up. Also, while in Buffalo, we stopped at West Marine and got some fenders and a telescoping boat hook. Does buying stuff count?

I replaced the cotter pin with a stainless steel one in the cable on the business side of the control box this a.m., put the other one in with the shift lever Doc sent me, greased stuff up and put the box back together. I may install it this a.m. if I have time before work. Then it's seat bases and trim pump time. Trim pump will definitely take time! I'm really not looking forward to moving those grommets on the hoses, and just mounting the pump will take some thought (as if I haven't given it enough already).

At least I don't have anything in my way this week, or the coming weekend or Memorial Day weekend. Should have it on the water by the end of the month, I hope, I hope, I hope!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6823

• MarkS

Does buying stuff count?

IMHO, Absofreakinlutely!

I hear ya bout the backup power ie:trolling motor, I keep mine on the boat for emergencies (re:Sandbar!) There's a BPS in Macon, (about an hour south of me) I go to occasionally. They're pretty reasonable, especially if you can catch on of the frequent sales. Everything else (West Marine, etc.) is on the other side of Atlanta, 'bout an hour and a half and too many people/too much traffic. I'm getting to be a grumpy old man that doesn't deal with crowds well. :laugh: Lookin forward to your progress reports, you're gonna make it!

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6824

I may also get back into fishing Mark, and the trolling motor will come in handy for that. This is a simple one, no foot pedal, but I will either build or buy an extension handle for it sometime. It will work fine the way it is.

Got the controls mounted this a.m., doing good. Now all I need is a prop. Of course, the trim pump install looms ahead of me...

I'm hoping Bernie might pipe in. I want to see where he mounted his control box in his 15T.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6923

Progress since getting the cables hooked up? Started the motor on the boat for the 1st time last night. Don't have pics or video, maybe tonight. Hooked up my tach this morning before work, but didn't have time to start the motor, make sure it works. Also need to "liquid electric tape" the connections.

Ordered some neat life vests from EMS. Gonna order a new prop this week (3 blade 21 pitch to start). Need an anchor rode (got an anchor), few other things, not much. Probably install cheap seats for now. Had a minor family disaster come up (one of the kids) over the weekend and seat money will go towards that for now. Nevertheless, we plan on 1st launch Memorial Day weekend, maybe the Hudson, maybe a lake, not sure right now. Still need to install power trim, tidy up a few other things, maybe a bit of paint here and there. If all goes well, we hope to join a few like-minded folk at Silver Lake the 1st weekend in June, then drag the boat up to Plattsburgh for some Lake Champlain boating when we go to our 35th college reunion the 2nd weekend in June. Gonna be some shake down time I guess. If all that stuff goes well, watch out! :)

I hope all you folks are doing well.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6933

frank, when your sure of the date for first launch, let me know. i told you i would come up and ride your stern with the mantaray. thatas if i can keep up! :unsure:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6936

If the planets align Ron, it will be Memorial Day weekend. I keep thinking of stuff that needs to be done, but I think I'm REAL close buddy. We'd love an excuse to see you and Sue anyways.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6945

Let's see if this works...

Don't mind the smoke, been running her rich since re-assembly. Gonna mix up new stuff with synthetic oil.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6946

• MarkS
Awesome Frank! A prop, two seats, a few incidentals, and you're in the water buddy. :laugh: :) :P

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6959

Thanks Mark, but still got the trim to hook up. Raining out tonight, couldn't do much on the boat other than start it and take a short video, so I made an attempt at a bracket for the trim pump. It's 1/4" aluminum and the 4 holes in a rectangle are 5/16 drilled exactly on center to match the 5/16 holes in the trim pump. I got an idea where it could go, but need to get some stainless hardware to mount it, and see how it works out. I need to be lucky!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6960

frank i bought some stainless bolts nuts,screws and washers at walmart,for boats ,they are made by attwood,and come in an assortment box,for 9 bucks,and by the way nice work frank,you should be proud,your boat is a beauty.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6523 guests and one member online