Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Progress on my Power Cat 14T

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5835

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That boat is commin out great. I too like the shine. Glad to see its glassed back together Frank. Keep the update's rollon in, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rub rail on my Power Cat 14T done 13 years 11 months ago #5839

classicfins wrote:

Really looks greta Frank! It's amazing what difference a rubrail will make. You're almost there now! :)

Thanks Doug. Yeah, rub rail makes it look done, just get 'er rigged!

Thanks for the compliment Mike, but ya gotta know the paint is shiny only because it hasn't been sanded. It needs to be sanded, but there are still areas not covered well. Plus if I sand it, it will lose it's shine. For this season, I think other than a bit of touch-up and efforts to cover a few places the gray still appears, it's done!

Next project is finishing the trim, and mounting the steering mechanism correctly!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5841

frank are you bringing that beauty to silver lake,i sure would love to see it,great job buddy!!!!

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5842

F - She looks great! Excellent job on the rub rail. You'll definately want two tanks. That 1000 will have an appetite for fuel. B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5844

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm with ya on put the sandpaper away! She looks great Frank, just touch up where you need to and let's get her rigged and ready. Please tell your son thanks for helping out from me, would ya.? ;)

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5848

John, yes, I think I may be able to bring it to Silver Lake so everybody can see how crummy the deck paint job looks in person, lol!

I know I need two tanks B, got them, just need to find a place to mount my trim pump in between the battery and the tanks. I built a bench seat for back there that rests against the splash pan, so have ordered a couple small clam shell stainless ventilators that mount on the back end of the gunnels for that gas tank and battery area.

Maybe a bit more sanding Mark for areas on the hull that got red paint on it, or just some touch up in general. Putting all that crap away! Concentrating on finishing the trim, and getting the steering mechanism in correctly. Once the steering is in, everything else seems relatively easy.

These are the front buckets we're planning on getting for it...

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5849

• MarkS
Top shelf, very nice F!

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5857

Nice looking seats Frank.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5859

Thanks guys. They're a bit pricey, but we're old, and it's a small boat...

Taking one thing at a time. Need to do some trimming on my stainless channel transom cap to fit it on good. Maybe do that tonight do that so I can sit the merc on back! Next I have to do a plywood template for mounting my steering mechanism. I want it to be tight to the dash, not lose like it was when I got it. I think the mounting holes have to be drilled at an angle.

Where do you get those big grommets that go in the side of the splash pan for the steering cable to come through? I know I've seen them somewhere, but West Marine doesn't appear to have them, NAPA doesn't. I was looking at other grommets that might work too.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5866

great frank,and wow those are beautiful seats,do you have pics of the back seat you made,i love pics of homemade stuff,its raining here so im finaly going to go out and work on the sunray,ill work on the porch tommorrow.it will be great to see you all again at silver lake,by the way your boat looks fantastic,keep up the good work buddy.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5870

Thanks John. Had some pics of the back seat but hard drive failed. I'll find the pieces and get her mocked up sometime maybe this week and take some shots. No upholstery, just plywood right now.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5871

frank when your ready to upholster it let me know,i learned a few tricks the hard way,lol,john sunray dash
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5872

We were looking at hiring it done John, but for now, just may use throwing boat cushions, then Gail will probably give it a try. Cushions will just be flat, rectangular, fairly simple. Back seat is not a primary concern right now!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5884

if its flat and rectangular ,you and gale can do it,heres a tractor seat i just did a little while ago,it has angles ,round corners and its 3 peices biscut jointed and glued together,for yours if theres no sewing involved ,just cut your plywood backing,then glue foam to it with a good spray adhesive,then cut the foam all the way around with an electric carving knife,then start stapleing your vinyl all the way around ,1st staple one side in just a couple of places then go to the oppisite side and pull your vinyl until it is smooth and tight,then do the same to the other 2 sides,.
leave enough vinyl so you dont come short,you can cut the excess later,then if you have some small wrinkles ,use a heat gun on the low setting,but make sure you hold it far enough away that you dont burn it,hold it just close enough and long enough to shrink it some and the wrinkle should dissapear.
if you dont want to do it yourself,take the seat and vinyl to silver lake and ill take it home and do it for you if theres no sewing.at no charge frank,take a pic and ill let you know if i can do it,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5889

I saw that seat you did a while back John, but thank you for going through the process again for us. I've done boat seat upholstery ages ago, and I think I still have the stainless staples to do it with!

Frank

Rear bench seat on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5891

This is as far as I got John. You can see in the 1st pic the little mahogany blocks I glassed to the hull/floor, then the pieces I made to fit over the tunnels/hulls (they get screwed to the blocks or maybe thru bolted), then the top piece. Not sure I like it, but it is a low level priority right now. Heck, at least I could find most of the stuff. Not sure if I made a back or not.

Not sure whether to just paint it, glass it (cloth) on the outsides, totally encapsulate it with glass, or what. I just want to make sure it can be taken out.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Rear bench seat on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5896

F - What brand are the seats? I highly recommend Garelick products. Made in Minnesota, they are top quality. B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5897

That rear bench is homemade. Oh, the buckets? Don't know, mama picked them out. I'd just as soon stay outta it. What, you got stock with Garelick er sumpin B? I've heard you recommend them before. These seats Gail found are the only ones she likes. 3 year warranty on the vinyl, 6 years on the frame. 260 @.

Just got my custom stainless transom cap on, needed a bit of work, not much. Interference fit too, but I'll have a few stainless bolts with 4200 holding it down. Good buddy made it up for me in his shop, mucho gracias.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5898

wow frank ,you dont need my advise,lol,your way ahead of me,the back seats will look great,i cant wiat to see you gail and the boat,oh yeah i just finished some work on the sunray transom,i didnt even know it needed it,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5903

• MarkS

Where do you get those big grommets that go in the side of the splash pan for the steering cable to come through? I know I've seen them somewhere, but West Marine doesn't appear to have them, NAPA doesn't. I was looking at other grommets that might work too.

Frank, Check out this link and see if it helps.
www.iboats.com/Boat-Cable-Boots/dm/cart_id.807229670--session_id.750935802--view_id.217153
If you're talkling about just the trim ring that would cover the edge of the hole, I've been looking for those myself. I used to pick them up at one of the local marine dealers, who has since gone out of business. I think the boots look a little nicer anyway.

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5906

I'm gonna check out Home Depot in the a.m. Mark, see what they might have in electrical grommets, flanges, fittings, stuff like that. They carry the black corrugated hose I'll be using for both sides of the motor, and I want to buy a roll of that. Still figuring this out, but I think I got it, with help from a buddy out in Arizona who does this with his hot rod boats (Dick Davis).

I'd really like something that would seal better than the old rubber ring for my steering cable. Got a lot of stuff to do to get that boat of mine done!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5907

Frank,
I got mine at my local boat dealer here in town. Sometimes I use the ones that had the rubber boot on them that tie wrap around the cable or wiring harness so that water that happens to come in over the transom in certain conditions doesn't pass through the opening and into the boat.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5908

Yeah Doug, that's what I want, sumpin like dat. I want to keep as much water out of the boat as I can. I really have no clue how this old boat is gonna do with a taller transom even with the gunnels of the boat, and the motor sitting up like that. More water in the splash pan? Less water?

I hope to soon find out...

Boy, that's a real pretty boat from what I can see of it Doug. Which one is that?

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5915

I think you'll have no problems with water over the transom Frank. The pic was my Razorback Fury.
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5924

Ewwwwww, that's a pretty boat Doug!

I can't wait to get the old Power Cat out. Maybe in a month or so? Then we'll see how she goes. Don't know if the 19 pitch prop will do the trick, but we'll see.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5925

• MarkS
Beautiful boat, Doug. You said "was my Razorback", she's no longer in your fleet?

F, I see what you're looking for now, I'll keep my eyes open. Let me know if you find something acceptable in the meantime. I have a hunch you could run a taller prop, but the 19P will be a good starting point. You're getting soo close, the anticipation gets bigger every step you get done. We're all cheering for you bud!

Mark

Get Your Boots Here 13 years 11 months ago #5926

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9141&familyName=TH+Marine+Cable+Boot

F - I need 3 for the Power Cat. Let me know how many and what size and color you want...my gift to you. Sort of a pre-launch present. Actually, on re-checking, for 4.5", your choice is black or black. So I guess black it is! About $11 ea for the boot plus ring. B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5927

Really B? I guess the smaller one. My old ring has a 2 1/8 i.d., but I think it's very similar to the 3". I just need it for the steering. The gas, battery cables and motor plug cables will run through 1 1/2" irrigation hose like Dick Davis uses. Gotta buy it in 20' rolls. Need a few feet?

By the way, with my motor now raised 5", I wonder if I want the steering still to come out of the side of the splash pan or from the gunnel? Won't be tough to figure out, but just a thought. You might notice some of the Power Cat hot rod boats have them coming out of the gunnel because they have their motors raised so high.

I need to figure out what to use on my glove compartment covers for weatherstripping or something that just goes around the inside bottom so they don't rest directly on the paint. Maybe I'll ask Danny.

Thanks.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5930

Already ran my through new conduit. 6' section, $2.99 as I recall. I'll order you a 3" in black. I need 3 4.5 inch. B
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5932

That's split wire loom isn't B? I'm running mine through hose, no split in it. I'll use some small wire loom like that and tie wraps to clean up the end of the steering cable that pokes out. F

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5942

MarkS wrote:

Beautiful boat, Doug. You said "was my Razorback", she's no longer in your fleet?
.....quote]

Yep, she's gone. I sold it about 4 years ago. I have a 2nd one that I will finish one of these days. The Fury was the first boat I did when I got back into boats after a 10 year vacation.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5947

doug, the shine on that is awesome. what product did you use.? ron

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5950

Thanks Ron,
It's single stage PPG automotive acrylic urethane. Did all the body work, sealed everything with DP40 sealer, and then primed the hull with PPG K200 urethane primer, wet sanded with 600 & 1000 before spraying the paint. The deck was done the same except I used PPG K36 urethane primer since I had some on hand.

Doug

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5956

Gee, wish my paint job looked 1/2 as good. :(

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5970

PC1000 wrote:

Gee, wish my paint job looked 1/2 as good. :(

Frank

Your's looks good to me Frank. I've been painting cars and boats since I was 15 and I'm 46 years old now. At one point I was painting 3-6 a week so I've had lots of practice. Too much in my opinion. lol

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5971

PC1000 wrote:

That's split wire loom isn't B? I'm running mine through hose, no split in it. I'll use some small wire loom like that and tie wraps to clean up the end of the steering cable that pokes out. F

I like to use a mesh nose that our local dealer sells. Seems like all the new boats on the lot use these mesh stuff that is kinda small in diameter, but you hold one end and push on the hose and it opens up wide. Then you can slide your hoses and harness through and then stretch it back out and it shrinks back down to a snug fit around everything. Not sure what it's called but it's pretty neat.
Doug
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #5980

classicfins wrote:

Your's looks good to me Frank. I've been painting cars and boats since I was 15 and I'm 46 years old now. At one point I was painting 3-6 a week so I've had lots of practice. Too much in my opinion. lol

Thanks Doug. That's nice of you to say. I really worked hard at that deck... TOO DA*N hard. It shows brush strokes and is gritty to the touch. At least nobody will slip on it. ;)

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6003

• MarkS
Doug, that thing was a work of art! Turned out really nice.

Frank, you're being too hard on yourself. I think it's gonna look great unless you have your nose stuck right down on the paint. PLUS, now you have a barrier between the old paint and the new. If you are still unsatisfied with it at the end of the boating season, it wouldn't be that hard to rent a "waterbug" sander and knock down the imperfections, practice up with your new spray gun setup, and re-shoot a few top coats on the deck.

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6004

F - Not to worry! By the time you hit the 50 mph mark your eyes are watering and the bugs are smashing into you so hard you can't see anyway!! :ohmy: Not to diminish your thoughts friend, I am thrilled with my paint job on the Power Cat, but I can certainly find issues with it...if I am on top of it. But everytime I see it in the garage from 10' away it really takes my breath away. I drove past your place about 3:30 on the way back from CT and saw the boat. It looks fantastic! Go easier on yourself. You'll have more fun! B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 11 months ago #6005

It's maybe a 10' boat Mark. Nobody is gonna notice it unless they're closer than that, and so it goes. Yes, practice this summer with the HVLP, then topcoat it this fall or next spring. I want to go boating! Just moved the merc and my motor hoist out of the basement shop into the garage. Gonna at least set it on the transom today or tomorrow. Pics soon. Now I just have to figure out steering and make up a couple seat bases.

Frank

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5800 guests and no members online