• Page:

TOPIC: Retired

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142845

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Finally really pulled the plug on boating. Went out four times so far this season and always had problems coming back into the dock, bumping, scraping, trouble backing the trailer etc. Last week I was attempting to back the trailer down the ramp and couldn't even get it straight. Some big young guy got behind and picked the trailer up and aimed it down the ramp. How's that for humbling! And it was before happy hour.
I put my Starcraft on Craigslist last Wednesday, and Monday it was sold. Not only did I sell the boat but also gave away the farm as a sweetener. Tubes, skis, ropes, Stern life jackets, fenders, anchors, boarding ladder, fire extinguisher, first aid and flair kit, spare props and probably more that I can now think of. A young gal bought it and I actually let her "borrow" it over the weekend before the sale. Those big sweet eyes. Leap of faith! Still have some steering gear, shifting stuff and some misc. hardware bling. Which I'll have to wait until next year to get red of at some show or swap meet. Plus the 140hp factory modified Rude. That one ain't going cheap. Also have some Clymer manuals to dispose of.
It's been a real trip but time to move on before I hurt myself or worse yet, someone else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142846

Well damn sorry to hear this but as Clint Eastwood would say 'A man's got to know his limitations". What year Clymers do you have Cal? I might be interested in a mid to late 60's one.

Bob

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142848

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Sorry to hear that Cal,,I have only run local lake with fishin boat myself,,had my own show the 4th again but havent been able to go others,isnt any, hope to see ya some place take care BILL

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142849

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Clint Eastwood also said when asked how he keeps going "Never let the old man in"
Which books are you looking for, I have two or three OMC and one Mercruiser I/O. Put up with greasy finger prints and dog eared pages. Pretty well have you covered with the OMC.
The books are yours if you pay shipping. They would go "media mail" which is pretty cheap. I'll get back to you on the Clymers.
I'm still on the site just to keep up with what's going on and offer opins. whatever they're worth. You know what they say about opinions....like ^*$#&^^, W=EVERYONE'S GOT ONE.
I'd like to get to Mt Dora next year, never been there. Just won't be pulling a boat.
Going to get back into cars, something I can back up and sit in without getting wet.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142851

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I say good riddance! Nobody likes you anyway, Cal. However, if you show up at the Mount Dora show next year, just to show you that I'm a nice guy, I'll let you buy me a beer, possibly several.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142852

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
You always have a seat and life jacket with me and the Mrs. whenever we can find some common water. As far as those extra parts... I may have to work up a list and send you a pm. For starters, I do need to eventually get a rotary steering housing with push pull modern cable for the Wilson. I need to do some measuring. Any chance you have another gunnel hook ladder? If we can get Bob’s restoration done and down to Mt Dora next year, I might try to go. Stay onboard Cal or I might get stuck and need more advice.

Dr.Go!

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142853

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Nautilus wrote: I say good riddance! Nobody likes you anyway, Cal. However, if you show up at the Mount Dora show next year, just to show you that I'm a nice guy, I'll let you buy me a beer, possibly several.

Got a deal, I've been known to imbibe somewhat. A few years back at a neighborhood Christmas party my neighbors wife drove me home......three houses away.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142854

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, I think I have just what you need for the steering. Let me know in a few years when you start working on the Wilson again. I could possibly run the whose setup to your place sometime.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142855

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's what I have for manuals. Thought I had the Mercruiser but must have given that one away years ago when I swore off them.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142856

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I hear ya Cal , I got a 1962 glasstron this spring and with my back issues I can not get in or out of it so I have been thinking of sending it down the road . Plus my daughter has a pontoon in the water that I can use anytime I want.

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142863

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just bought an old car to work on, goodbye boat.
Attachments:

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142867

Looks like a nice ride to take to boat shows. Almost like riding in a boat if you have the top down, but you don't have to be watching for the big waves like you did on Green Bay. Did you hang your 140 Evinrude on the back bumper for looks, or is that just my imagination?
Bill

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142868

Cal I'll take the 56 -72 Clymer, should cover me for now. Let me know how much to send for the shipping. do you have my new address?

I'll definitely see you at Mt. Dora next year but as far as having the Resorter done, weeelllll, we'll see but don't count on it boys. I had to order some more Mahogany, screwed up the bow last side planks. Finally got them to bend nicely and ended up being too narrow in the middle after trying to get the fit to the next plank just right! Thought i left enough in the width for that, damn!
Let's face it, it's July already and I STILL haven't gotten to the bottom planks sooooo... :(

Bob

Retired 3 years 9 months ago #142869

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, OK. I'll put it in the mail as soon as I get the address. Here's my junk mail address. So no one gets my unadulterated one. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I'll check it each day so there's no hurry on your end. I do not have the address. I'll use your email to contact you with my regular mail address.
The Century you're working on....well you're actually right on schedule believe it or not. I have a friend who is completely building a '56 Coronado. This was well over 11 years ago, It was a pattern boat and the intention was to get it finished within 2 years so he could go out with the family. At the time his two girls were ages 7 and 9. The older one is now married, the youngest is a senior in college, the boat is flipped and I think he's just setting the shaft angle.
There might be some margine notes in the book so pay no attention to them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)