Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: best brush for varnishing wood boat

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142782

any one want to comment on the type of brush to use for the varnish coats.

I was sent those foam things, with the varnish topboat topcoat gleam and for the first few coats i have been using the cheap brushes you get a lowes

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142787

from what I've been told. The best brushes are natural hair brushes. (badger, yak, hog hair) I never put out the money for them, but this is what I hear. I personally wouldn't use cheap Harbor Freight brushes for boat bright work, mostly because the bristles are harder and fall out of the ferrule too easy, and you have to try and pick them out of your work . But since I'm painting barn wood right now I don't care about bristles in the paint.

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142790

There is a difference in foam brushes. I have had good luck with the dense foam ones that I got at the local Ace Hardware. Just don't use them to the point of starting to fall apart. They leave a nice, thin, smooth finish. The cheap ones from Menards don't hold up.
A good natural bristle brush works very well also. It is a time consuming process get them cleaned properly, and if you don't they don't last long. The foam ones you just throw away when you are done. I have also used a good bristle brush for just the final coat and that works good too.
Bill

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142791

For years I used badger hair brushes. Great quality but the clean up took soooooo much time. I switched to Jen brand foam brushes many years ago. Jen is the best brand but I have used whatever I get my hands on. I get great results. As previously mentioned, throw them out and get a fresh one when they start to get mushy.

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142792

With Andreas being in agreement, I must be doing it right. He is the most experienced guy I have met when it comes to varnishing a Thompson!! And how many do you own at this time?
Looking forward to next years Rally already. One of the better pictures I have of my boat is on the street by the remnants of the factory where it was built 61 years ago, right across the street from where you work.
Bill

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142797

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I have never varnished a Thompson but I have varnished a lot of furniture and boats, especially masts and booms and bright work. I always use natural bristle brushes. The cheap ones just don't do a very good job and they leave lots of bristles behind in the varnish. I have never tried using the foam brushes for varnish but I have used them for epoxy and paint work. They are especially good for getting in corners and odd angles. Varnish work is an art and requires a lot of patience. Never try to rush a varnish job. There are lots of on-line how to's on varnishing boats. Just google boat varnishing. Here's West Marine's's take on it. www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Top-Tips-on-Varnishing

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142799

lol got it thanks

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142801

thanks just never been a fan of the foam

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142802

imteresting thanks

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142803

Thanks for the brush suggestions .

I am also wondering if I am not sanding enough, I read.... light sanding with 320, but what does light sanding look like??? I don't want to sand off what i just painted on. Should I make sure it is sanded down so there are no ripples, so to speak?????
Attachments:

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142804

I guess it depends on how much dust and crud got in your last coat ? If it's clean, one person told me to sand it like erasing a chalk board in school. Quick long stokes, just enough to put in scuff marks not to haze up the varnish. He sanded the entire side of his boat in 4 or 5 minutes. But I'm no expert either.

best brush for varnishing wood boat 3 years 9 months ago #142806

thanks much, thats kind of what i did but the ripples are still there .

i think i will post a new topic asking about sanding varnish

regards

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5986 guests and 4 members online