Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 61 or 62 owens

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142527

Just bought this little boat a couple of weeks ago. Am I correct in thinking it's a 61 or 62 because those were the only years that Owens made a 13ft. ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142643

I'm not sure of the year, but I had one just like it in blue. I have some good memories of that boat. My ex wouldn't let me put any money into it and I donated it to charity. Too bad I got rid of the boat before getting rid of her! Current wife doesn't mind the boatyard in the back yard keeping the grass from growing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: owens owner

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142686

Nice clean little rig. Should be a lot of fun. Do you have the windshield? If you build one, make it short. Makes the boat look faster. CYA.

Dahatman

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142687

Hi There,
Yes I do have a windshield for it but it's broken so I decided to just leave it off. Does anyone know how to solve the problem that I only have forward gear, no neutral or reverse. The motor is a 1968 55hp Evinrude with the " selelectric " push button shifter. I haven't been able to find any suggestions has to how to fix it.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Doug

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142688

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Have you posted your problem on the JEGO string under new topic? Lots of help there.
Could be wrong on this but for that shifter the "default" if it is not receiving power is to go forward, sort of a "get me home" safety feature. Could be just a simple bad connection or loose wire. Check for dirty contacts on you push button set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: owens owner

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142690

Thanks i"ll give that a try.

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142692

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have a Clymer book for that, I'll see what it says. Will post back sometime......
OK, If you take the cowl off the motor and look down the leg you should see a pair of wires, light green and a light blue. Light green is forward shift and light blue is reverse shift. The will have knife connectors hidden under a soft rubber sleeve, Pull the sleeve back and disconnect the leads. If you have a volt meter connect the black wire to a good engine ground. Push your forward shift, With your red lead and the key on touch the green wire coming in to the motor, you should not get any reading which is probably a good thing since you are already in forward as a default. Push the reverse button still with the key on, put your red probe on the blue wire and you should get a 12 volt reading Neutral is a little fuzzy to me since there are several diodes in the circuit that confuse me. Probably someone on the JEGO site could help out with this. If you are getting those readings than you might have a chaffed wire leading down the LU leg which does happen.

61 or 62 owens 3 years 9 months ago #142698

Thanks very much. I appreciate the help and advice. I'll give those suggestions a try and let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
Doug

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)