Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I need some info on this 50's Crosby

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141310

I have inherited this boat; seems in very decent condition. Was kept in a basement for almost 40 years.
However, I have looked at all the articles/manuals on this site, and Googled for images, and I can't find any info on it.

It appears to be an Angler, but has 2 livewells and is tiller driven.

Any info would be helpful (I may even entertain offers).

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141311

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
What's that name on the back? Are there any hull numbers stamped on the transom? Looks like the perfect small water fishing boat. Use it to the fullest.

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141320

I zoomed in on the logo. It appears to say Crosby.

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141327

Hi,
It is a Crosby Sea Sled, which was made in several models (my family's boat dealership near Atlanta was a factory dealership). It is possible that the boat trailer is a Bote-Rider. Fun to see, a Sea Sled was possibly my first independent operation of a boat (I think with a Merc 200 - 20 horsepower outboard connected to steering wheel steering option and a MerControl, about 1963).

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141339

No name on back and no hull numbers.

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141340

Sea Sled, 1963?
You wouldn't happen to have a brochure on this boat from the family biz?
I'm assuming that steering and livewells were custom options.
I saw a pic on a boat in Georgia that looked similar, but couldn't see inside the boat to tell if same setup; definitely didn't have the hard-plastic seats.
It came with a Mercury Mark 20, BTW...

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141342

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Crosby Perhaps you saw in the library they show an Angler for 59 and a couple of sea sleds in 64. Looks like the in between year brochures have a missing gap. I got to meet Ab Crosby’s daughter and husband many years ago and visited him when I road tripped with a friend to pick up a new Hydrodyne (Dynaski) hull in 2000. His builder partner was over 70 and went back to the Crosby days. Cool stuff. I still see Crosby boats parked here and there in the weeds.

Dr.Go!

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141346

In this case, if we should have some brochures, I have not seen them in years.
In a simple Google search using: "Crosby Sea Sled", a few boats for sale are shown. I can make-out that some have the factory console, with one shown mounted forward , and three or more boats with it mounted in the rear. There is a UTube video of a much added to (painted red over the original gelcote color(s)) Sea Sled with a Force 35hp to view, and it shows the rear mounted steering console, and shows the livewell. Last, I saw an ad for an original flyer for sale of a 14', which pictures the boat underway with the steering console also: www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/1966-crosby-14-sea-sled-boat-ad-a-crosby-unsinkable-164933169.htm

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

I need some info on this 50's Crosby 4 years 4 months ago #141347

By the way, we do typically stock parts for the 1953-1954 Mercury Mark 20, as we do have calls from customers who are putting them back into service or restoring them. My mother still remembers selling Mark 20s when they were new (our business began in 1951) and boating/operating a Mark 20. Myself, I am not quite that old.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)