Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sunray Transom Method & Material?

Sunray Transom Method & Material? 4 years 6 months ago #141054

• Eric Z
  • Eric Z's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello,

I recently acquired a '64 Sunray. The pictures look better that the condition of the boat. Outer gel coat in decent shape with some mild crazing and cracks around the bow area and lights. Floor stringers and transom are shot and have now been gutted. The rotten transom ply was removed from the inside in its entirety, I was able to reach up into the fins and remove a birds nest as well!

I used seacast on the '62 lake n sea, thinking of coosa board for this one... 1 sheet of 3/4" 24 blue is approx $230. marine ply is half the price but could require more glass and resin or epoxy.

I saw that Nautilus did a '62 Sunray transom on his web site from the rear by cutting out the transom skin and sliding new Meranti in from the bottom up behind the "rocket jets". Just hate to cut out the skin if not necessary. I was thinking the new material could possibly be pushed in from the inside. Top edge in first and then pushed up behind the splash well if the bottom can then make it all the way back to the skin. bed it in thickened epoxy or 5200 and tab it?

Design flaw looks to be that the rear transom top edge was never sealed, just a metal trim piece over the splash well to vertical outer skin which allowed water to run around the fins and down into the transom ply.

I think I removed a couple hundred pounds plus of wet foam, ply and compost that was once wood.

Looking for your thoughts on material and method for install. I think there are a few of these out there or other similar "rays", does anyone have pics or procedure to share?

Thank you,
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sunray Transom Method & Material? 4 years 6 months ago #141055

Great find Eric! If it were me I'd use the marine ply coated in CPES, then sandwich together with epoxy peanut butter, then put it in. DO NOT use treated plywood.

Bob

Sunray Transom Method & Material? 4 years 6 months ago #141057

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks

Sunray Transom Method & Material? 4 years 6 months ago #141067

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I don't evenuse marine plywood,,just sandwich 2_ 3/4 1- 1/2 reg plywood with cloth in each layer,resin and cabosil,,peanut butter,,I do all my tw ins and all like that I do put some knees in transom to floor,everybody is diff.but they lasted 60 yrs like that with poor care,,so ???? My thoughts Bill
Attachments:

Sunray Transom Method & Material? 4 years 6 months ago #141068

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)