Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can anyone tell me what I bought?

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140756

• bsedwebt
  • bsedwebt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a home built boat from a blue print plan circa 1950-60. It is plywood with fiberglass on the hull. 24'7" x 7'10" with a 17" transom outboard. It was never completed and has been in dry storage for 50+ years. I drove 500 miles to see it and I fell in love and bought it - now I am having a trailer built to bring it 500 miles home.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140757

• bsedwebt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
more pics
Attachments:

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140758

• bsedwebt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
more pics
Attachments:

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140760

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I seem to be the "wooden boat guy" on here and based upon my restoration experience, I think what you bought is 600-700 hours of work and probably $3,000+ in parts and material (paint, varnish, brushes, sandpaper, ss bolts and screws, steering mechanism, gauges, wiring, hardware, lights, glass, upholstery, etc.) plus the cost of the trailer, an outboard and insurance. This may actually be a conservative estimate. I do wish you luck and glad to help with any questions you may have.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140761

• bsedwebt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh I KNOW I bought a project for sure! I was hoping somebody could tell me what this thing is - Glen-L? Sears? etc... It was just the perfect size, configuration, classic look, etc... I was looking for - I drove 1000 miles this weekend to see it and come home. I have just ordered a brand new aluminum trailer with all the stainless steel hardware, stainless disc brakes, etc... and having it built so I can go get it in a few weeks. I had to save it! The property is being sold and its future was in jeopardy! It was JUST what I wanted and in untouched solid condition - no rot, no repairs, extremely well built, etc... that I can start building - not re-building. The money factor is not a real big consideration - I am going to build it my way with all new stuff and fully expect to be in to it for $30K and I know it has no real value to anyone else. If I wanted to buy a boat I would buy a boat - I want ART!

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140765

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You certainly have the right attitude. She should be a stunner when completed. I have a 1951 Chris Craft S22 sedan that I'd like to sell. I need to find someone with your know-how and passion. She's rock solid, zero rot and complete. I just don't have the time and would rather use the money for other things.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 7 months ago #140772

Sorry late to this one, unfortunately I have no idea what the kit is but it will very cool when your done. Can't wait top see the progress.

Jan, sorry buddy s tempting as it is I don't have any room for it let alone the Admiral even letting me get another one until the Resorter is done! lol Besides I like your other Chris better. ;)

I do need to post in the NBR why I haven't been able to get back at it.

Bob

Can anyone tell me what I bought? 4 years 6 months ago #141041

• bsedwebt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I got it home this weekend, cleaned it up a bit and covered. Back story is Korean Vet came home with shell shock and decided to build instead of medication and when he was better stopped. Unknown plans, kit, etc... I plan to complete and hopefully honor him and his service. VADGIF will be sending inspector in a couple weeks to complete the title process so I can start in earnest. I would love to know what this is but for now it is a mystery so the boat has been dubbed MR. E.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7775 guests and no members online