• Page:

TOPIC: Thompson Boat Rally

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140049

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Saturday was a beautiful sunny albeit HOT day of the rally. Wonderful people and some of the most gorgeous restored wood boat you would ever want to see. Some original condition, some in the process of restoration and some complete that were almost too nice to touch. Thanks to Andreas for putting another successful program. Some old friends were there, too many to mention, Andreas, Terry D. with MAMA MIA, Bill (alldunn) Mark, (Dr Go) . Terry and I were the odd people out with glass boats, all others were woodies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140050

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140053

Cal,
It was good talking to you and all of the others. And thanks for posting all of the great pictures. It was a good thing that the glass I had in my hand in the pictures you took of me just had tonic in it and not gin (wink, wink). And a big thank you to Andreas for arranging everything for the Rally, including the great weather. The tours of Enstrom and Sentinel Structures were great.
Bill

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140054

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
My wife and I enjoyed meeting some new people and enjoying the amazing wooden boats and great weather. It was warm enough, I felt like I could almost smell the varnish... I think that smell is stuck in my memory from my young boat building day. It was sure worth the road trip and even bought a couple items needed for future restoration. Learned a few more tips on restorations. A great day and my wife was a trooper putting up with back pain all day just so I wouldn’t miss the show. She’s a keeper! I wasn’t going to go, but I think she told a little fib that she was ok... I later found out that she knew I wouldn’t go alone, so she decided she could make it.

Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140072

Thanks to everyone that participated and visited. You make it a success.

The photo with my "Speed Demon" class D race boat has Joe and Jeff Thompson in it. Jeff's dad Pete Thompson came by later and wanted to take the boat home with him! He spent several years racing all over USA. He won the 1960 APBA national championship racing a Sid Craft boat.

Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140104

We had a good turnout of beautiful Thompson boats and we were blessed with a sun drenched day with a cool breeze off the Bay.

Marinette, on the Menominee River at its mouth at Green Bay, offers many wonderful recreation opportunities. Had a real good time up there with the Thompson folk who are certainly a great group of people.

A favorite of mine was one of Andreas’s latest finds. A very rare 1953 Model 700 Speed Demon Class D race boat.

Our friend Brett found a Model 600 Speed Demon Class A racer under a porch a few years back and he had planned to bring it up for this event but got too busy cutting grass.

According to Andreas these are the only Speed Demons known to exist.

We had the pleasure of meeting Pete Thompson who’s the grandson of “Thompson Boats” founder Pete Thompson. Pete and his brother Christ started building boats in Pestigo WI in 1906. Pete has fond memories of racing these Speed Demons with Mercury power in the early fifties. The rules were changed in mid-fifties so that a manufacturer was not allowed to race the boat they built. Pete then competed using Speedliner and Sid Craft boats.

We also met Bob who worked for Thompson for nearly 30 years. He started unloading boxcars and was managing the fiberglass operations when they closed in 1980. According to Bob most of the work force were farmers that worked through the winter stockpiling hulls. As dealer orders came in for particular deck configurations the boats would be completed and shipped. Layoffs would begin Memorial Day and the boat builder/farmers returned to their fields for the summer.

Jane’s 59 Cruisers Inc. 300 Commander ‘BUSTER’ was another of my favorites.

This boat is 1959-time capsule with the original Merc 75AE and Quiksilver steering and Direct Reverse throttle.

More fotos to follow

Thanks,
Terry

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140106

Great pics Terry. Thanks for sharing.
Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140107

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Awesome pictures. They are even more awesome in person. I sent you a PM if you get a chance to look at it.

Dr.Go!

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140137

Thanks Guys,
Mark, I requested a connection.

This 1964 T&T Boats Inc. is a work in progress and will be an awesome boat when complete.

Seeing it stripped out demonstrates the incredible detail and intricacy of lapstrake construction.

I believe I heard this boat was owned by Andreas’s brother. Named ‘My Six Sons’ and displayed with vintage photos there must be a story. Sorry to say I did not learn the story about this boat but hopefully someone can elaborate.

Notice ‘My Five Sons’ as shown in the first photo was rebadged as ‘My Six Sons’ And the Merc 1000 has been upgraded.

Bill Dunn’s Thompson is a beautiful boat and has a nice Merc 900? or something there about. Wink! Wink!

The Merc with power trim was of special interest to me as I am in the process of retrofitting a 1961 800 to P/T.

It was great to see Bill’s Merc up close and operating so now I have a better idea of what I am doing.

Thanks
Terry

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140138

"My Six Sons" is a 1964 T & T Boats, Inc. 18 ft. Breakers. My father went to the liquidation auction of T & T in May 1965 and bought two unfinished boats for $300. His coworker also attended the auction and he bought a more completed single boat for $350. My dad used components of the two boats to finish one and he sold off the other hull to a different coworker. The boat was christened "My 5 Sons", named for the five Rhude sons. I am son number 5. Two years later mom is heavy with child and luckily it was another boy. So.... the name was changed to "My Six Sons". Her initial motor was a 1965 Merc 900 which was purchased at Midway DX in Marinette for $1,090.00. The trailer is a Balko made at Ladysmith, WI (I think she was purchased at Rasmussen Marine also in Marinette). The original motor pooped out in the 1990s and very uncharacteristically for my father, he went to Green Bay and purchased a brand new 100 HP Merc for the boat. His normal procedure would be to use duct tape and chicken wire to keep it running. Three generations of the Rhude family have enjoyed the boat and she has been used on lakes Michigan and Superior and taken on many camping trips into Canada and all over Wisconsin and Michigan.

My older brother Trygve (number 3) has been caretaker of the boat for several decades.

Andreas

Thompson Boat Rally 4 years 9 months ago #140156

Thanks for the story Andreas.

The memories and stories are all part of the fascination of these old boats.

Terry

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7593 guests and no members online