Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139958

My first question is there any way to tell if the paint on an old boat is single stage or double? I would like to spray double stage, but that's a no-no over single. If at all possible I would rather not sand all the old paint off, just smooth out the brush strokes.

Second question - is there such a thing as a trailer jack for a round frame? I believe this is as classic a trailer as the boat, and it has a round frame. You can see how the P.O. jury-rigged one that does not work well and makes the whole rig dangerous when using it. The winch post is adapted to a round frame, why not a trailer jack?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139978

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Two stage over a single stage a no no???? Never heard that one before. I guess I better get back my last dozen boats I sold and correct the problem. What do you call a two stage? I always use an enamel with a catalyst hardner and never had a problem. What's supposed to happen?
The round trailer tongue can be a real pain when it comes to a tongue wheel. After several mishaps with the clamp twisting on my Balko tongue I tried to through bolt it but found out the swivel would hit the bolt head, even a carriage bolt wouldn't fit. Finally wound up just tacking a few welds on it. Scary when your standing in the boat while it's on the trailer and all of a sudden the thing decides to take a tumble :woohoo:

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139980

Two stage is what you used, a paint with a hardener. Most folks (like me) use roll and tip single stage, like Brightsides or a number of other paints like that. I need to figure out what is on this boat, as I'm leaning towards Imron...

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139985

For the trailer ? Maybe try (2) pieces of C channel with the flanges toward the pipe, welded to each side of the Outside diameter of the pipe to give you two flats ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetDeville700

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139989

PC1000. You can seal between paints with PPG DP series primer/sealer. Actually two stage refers to base-coat/clear-coat and single stage is what it sounds like, color with no clear. Single stage can utilize catalyst and is still considered a single stage as it cures with a gloss whereas two stage requires a clear coat to obtain a gloss and protect the base coat.
I hope this helps you with your project. Respectfully, Bingo.

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139990

Thanks for clearing that up Bingo. Makes perfect sense.

This time around I really want a boat I can wax!

Frank

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 10 months ago #139991

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

PC1000 wrote: Thanks for clearing that up Bingo. Makes perfect sense.

This time around I really want a boat I can wax!

Frank

Here's what I usually use and it works pretty well with high gloss. Roll and tip is easy and less messy than a spray, no masking, cleaning etc. Rustoleum enamel paints work well with an off the shelf hardner that you can get at any store that has a dedicated paint dept. A quart of Rustoleum can be mixed with any other rusotleum enamel color to make your own custom color. Does not have to be "marine" enamel. Best to use a small mixing pot and a 4" foam roller and a fine 2" varnish brush. Do not mix any more hardner/paint than you can use in about 20 minutes. A splash of lacquer thinner to thin. After that the chemical activation starts setting up and you're sitting with a tray of jelly. There are lots of instruction videos on youtube for the roll and tip. If you get any runs or drips let them alone! They can be sanded out easily the next day. The hardner makes the paint dry quickly and glossy. Dry to touch in about an hour and sandable the next day when you can use 2000 grit wet/dry to finish it off before using a polish if you want.
Attachments:

Couple questions re: paint and trailer jacks 4 years 9 months ago #140011

Looks like you have the paint thing sorted, as far as the trailer jack, I would go with a pipe mount swivel jack. That would require a coped tee joint, but I think it would look the best. Alternatively, a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" plate, cut and drilled to match existing jack and welded to the tongue with a couple angle iron supports.
Hope this helps
Cheers Bill
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)