Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer bearing replacement question

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139329

Hello there, I have an older trailer with a single axle and 4 bolt hubs that needed new bearings. I swapped them out and replaced with exact same part number bearings and seals, but one wheel got SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than the other when towing about 15 minutes (with boat on it).

I'm assuming I didn't get the torque quite close enough. Is there a good age old number since I have no information on the trailer? I have a torque wrench, just no idea what to set it at.

Any help is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139330

There's no need to use a torque wrench, you are probably over-tightening them.
First I'll assume you packed the bearings? Packing means forcing grease with your hands into the grooves, front and back until you can't get anymore in, not just smearing it around the outside. With the trailer jacked up and the wheel on, I like to spin the wheel and tighten the nut with a pair of channel locks until you feel the wheel start to slow down, then back off until the cotter pin will fit in the hole, all the while spinning the wheel. Grab the wheel on the outer edges and wiggle to see if there is any play. You want the wheel to spin freely, but not feel any slop in the bearing. Some guys will just tighten the nut by hand as much as they can and call it a day. Regardless of the method, it needs to be done with the wheel off the ground. Obviously, you want to make sure the cotter pin is reinstalled.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Bill

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139359

Yep, I packed them with marine grease and a cone with zerk fitting. Grease enters the center, and pump until it oozes out of the outside.

Should I just back the spindle nut off a little and give it another go? How much free spin should I expect when wheel is spun?

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139361

It sounds like you need to re-adjust. Follow procedure in the last post. if you give it a good spin, you should get tired of watching it before it stops
Cheers
Bill

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139371

Curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to the shop, jacked up the trailer and spun the wheel. Did it three times and each time it spun for just over a minute. So there is the answer to your question! LOL
Cheers
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: GIJordan07

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139372

Yep - I'm quite a bit over tightened then.... thanks!!

Trailer bearing replacement question 4 years 11 months ago #139373

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
And also as previously stated, once adjusted and tire still in the air, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o’clock and try to wiggle pushing in on one while pulling out on the other quickly back and forth. If it clunks each time, then too loose. You will know when you have it just right. This thread was a good reminder it’s time to check trailer bearings and tire condition along with air pressure. I also examine my springs each year since Dad had a leaf break hitting a pothole that blew a tire back in the day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GIJordan07

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat