Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139251

After living on a lake for the last six years and watching everyone out there having fun, we have finally decided to take the plunge and get a boat to see what all the hype is about! We're on a small lake with low fixed bridges so that is limiting some of our choices. We see ourselves mostly cruising our lake and the chain of lakes connected to it. My husband fell in love with the century coronado and an advantage is that is they are very low (no bridge issues), but I'm not convinced a wood boat is a great "starter" boat. My son and I have been gravitating to an express cruiser. I think we've narrowed it down to either a Dorsett San Juan or a Glasspar Club Mariner. All things being equal is one a better choice than the other? Both are 19', both of the ones we are considering are I/O. I am concerned about the height, so ideally the windshield would be removable or hinging. Would love peoples thoughts/experiences or if you think we are heading the wrong direction would like to hear more about that too. TIA!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139252

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Both are excellent choices. It all comes down to the condition, particularly the engine and outdrive since that's where the money is. I would encourage you to do a compression check and take the boat out for a "sea trial." If the owner won't accomodate you, walk away. Upholstery is another item that could rack-up some serious outlay. If you thoroughly test both boats, I think you will be able to decide between the two with no problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: urchin

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139256

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Good advice from Jan. In my opinion your first boat should not be a classic Woodie. They are nice and eye catchers but the upkeep is outlandish for a beginner. First you would have to find one without a rotten bottom or frame and then things go south from there. If the Coronado your are thinking of is glass then do Jan's homework. If you are concerned about the low bridges see if you can go with a neighbor and do some actual measuring from the water surface to the first head bumper. Don't forget that small lake levels change.
I'm surprised that Jan didn't suggest filling the boat with water to get under the bridge.:evil:

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139258

The biggest downside is that all of the boats we are looking at are on the west coast and we live in Florida. I'm going to have to pay a surveyor to go out and look over one or both of them and give me an assessment. It's not ideal, but sometimes you have no choice. We went to the Tavares vintage show and got to see a few things in person last month which is what helped us narrow down our choices, but it will be unlikely that we could "sea test" anything. The Club Mariner has engine issues and would need more work and the San Juan is in what appears to be very good-excellent condition. That being said, the San Juan is 10 times the cost of the Club Mariner.

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139260

Glad you made it to the show, I was there also. Although I'm a glass and woody guy both Cal is right, you really have to do your homework if you want to start with a woody and know what your getting into. The pocket cruisers are great. There was one for sale in the filed of dreams at the Tavares show but they wanted $14K which I thought was way too much.

There does seem to be more pocket cruisers on the west coast compared to the east coast but they are around over here it may take you some time to find one though. You can do a craigslist search and have it look in regions. I haven't tried it yet but there are folks who have and had some good luck with it. I think it's worth a try, better than trying to do a California boat from here in Florida.

I live over in Melbourne Florida now. I'll keep an eye out , if I see or hear of any I'll let you know

Bob

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139276

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have a 1968 Glasspar Seafair Sedan that I will GIVE you. I need to unload some of my collection and reduce my monthly storage charges. I'd just like to see it get back in the game. It has a good 4-cylinder engine and it's solid. You'll need your own trailer and the boat will require some elbow grease to whip it in shape but Seafair Sedans are great little pocket cruisers and the price is right. I'm in South Carolina...and that beats the west coast. Something to think about?

Attachments:

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139278

Waterwings - Thanks so much! Yes I've been trolling craigslist for a few months but nothing has come up. I had a lead on a couple of Dorsetts in Alabama, but they were both Catalinas and in pretty rough shape. One had actually sunk :-/

I saw a glasspar club mariner in Georgia for sale but again a complete wreck. I would almost rather just pay for the better one from the west coast. I work full time, have a 6 year old and am renovating our house - I want to be realistic and know that a big project is not ideal at this point.

If you hear of anything let me know!

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139279

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's a tough market out there. I can't even give boats away.

"Success makes...

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139281

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
In my area, the west coast of Lake Michigan that boat would be gone in a heartbeat. They are popular for lake salmon fishing.
Attachments:

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139282

So Nautilus's offer is probably a once in a lifetime offer on a pocket cruiser and I would jump on it if I were you!!!!! There won't be much difference height wise between the Mariner and the Seafair. Nautilus is a great guy and a straight shooter so if he's telling you it will need a little work, it will only be a little work not a major project. If I could I'd take it in a heartbeat but I already have the Wagemaker and the Century Resorter that I'm still restoring. I have absolutely no room. LOL Plus with the Seafair hull you can take her to the Gulf or Atlantic if so desire and not get into too much trouble depending on the sea state.

Bob

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139293

Nautilus - we are seriously considering your generous offer. I'm a little nervous because we have so little experience, but I will pm you and we can chat more about what needs to be done, etc. Thank you so much!

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139297

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I replied to your private message but got one of those "mailer daemon" things...twice. So, here's a public reply.

The boat could stand to have the floor replaced but failing that, stripping the carpet and simply covering the existing floor with a layer of 1/2" marine plywood and re-carpeting should suffice until you decide on a wholesale replacement, if ever.

The engine should run with a little coaxing. The woodwork will need to be sanded bare, re-stained and varnished several coats. The whole boat will need a thorough cleaning, buffing and waxing.

The engine box is some half-assed homemade affair that will need replacement. Not a big deal if you know how to build a marine plywood box. The electrical wiring may/may not need attention. That's about it. I would guess that you could do it all in about five days plus maybe $300-400 in materials.

I have a trailer that will work...you can have that for free as well. It's no prize winner and will need to have tail lights and the wiring re-done but it will do the job. I have no idea about the height of the windshield...4-1/2 feet is a good guess. The boat is in storage and I don't have time to run out there today.

Let me know what you decide. If you don't want it, I'm going to put it up on Ebay.

Jan Hadley

"Success makes...

Newbie needs opinions - Glasspar or Dorsett 5 years 1 week ago #139307

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Think the Seafair is a good choice. Just personally, I would look for an outboard configuration, since IMO it would be simpler to repower, but beware of boats that have been converted from I/O to outboard. Post-63 Seafairs should have fiberglass stringers. If you're really a newbie, know that all these boats have wood structural components that will sooner or later need to be addressed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6488 guests and no members online