Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on Buying a Fiberglass Boat

Advice on Buying a Fiberglass Boat 5 years 1 month ago #138952

We sold our classic wood 1936 yacht last May. (See avatar.) MBYC in Bellevue has summer temporary moorage for members. I want to get a classic to moor on the lake this summer. I would prefer something that has comfortable room for about six to go for a day cruise, hang out on Andrews Bay, water ski with, etc. I don't want any varnish to deal with or a project boat. I think an outboard might be easier. I love the look of the 1950s and 1960s fiberglassics. I would appreciate any advice from the forum. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice on Buying a Fiberglass Boat 5 years 1 month ago #138953

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome.
I totally understand your not wanting to deal with varnish and wood upkeep. Been there, done that.
Classic glass would be the way to go and I'm sure there are plenty of boats out there that would fit your requirements. Probably a day cruiser. Less maintenance, lighter, a little wax and polish and you're good to go. My opin, for what it's worth would be to start a search on the net and not worry about motors. If you want a worry free, turn key boat I would suggest you put a more efficient newer outboard or two on it. Older outboards need maintenance, repair and lots of fuel. Nice avatar, looks comfy. If you could find something in the 20/21 foot length it should satisfy you downsizing needs.
Good Luck.
Attachments:

Advice on Buying a Fiberglass Boat 5 years 1 month ago #138954

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
In my opinion, if you want classical glass with room for 6, you can't do much better than a vintage, twin-engine, Bertram 25... Fantastic lines, time-proven hull design, small cuddy for storage, hard top, flying bridge, plenty of seating...and trailerable!

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'