• Page:

TOPIC: Missing

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138733

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Has anyone heard from or know anything about John Gibson?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138734

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'll try and find out. I have his email address.
I think last fall he made an awesome score on a bear or trophy buck, can't remember which.

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138736

wow I spent 35 minutes writing a reply then like the idiot I am ,I hit the back button and lost it all ,but in a nutshell I told you of the mental stress I have been under for sometime now ,I was diagnosed with bi polar and ptsd because of being brought up with my dad beating my mom up almost daily ,I also hurt Todd (waterwings) he sent me a motor cowl to paint years ago ,it came out like new but I cant figure out how to put the badges and other things back on ,I screwed Todd by not sending it back . I am embarrassed by this and many other things in my life.
I have to apologize to Todd and others on here , I am pretty much a jerk ,I was supposed to fix up a fire truck pedal car for fiberglassics to sell for charity and all I have done on it is the body work .

we sold the 64 custom craft sunray named "way back when" it took a lot of wind out of my sails ,I also found out the guy that has it now is renting it out at a boat rental place and according to what I saw on Facebook is saying he restored it and named it something like Mable or marge or something like that ,if you want to see that post search face book for "1964 custom craft sunray"

i dont have any boats left ,i am trying to get back into making custom hand carved furniture and custom engraved glass ,i just started 9 days ago to keep my mind off of things.

and as far as buck cal mentioned ,yes i got a Pa record book 12 point non-typical buck in 2015 ,i hunt and love it because i can go out and just think about hunting ,i cant do it like i used to because of health problems , but i appoigize to todd and this whole group for being the person i turned out to be.

as for the buck here are pics of it ,i have alot i forgot to say as i did in the post i accidentally deleted
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138738

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey John, good to see you around. No apologies needed around here. Last week I came across the flying fish coins you sent me many years ago and thoughts of getting in contact with you ran through my head. This post form Jan (Nautilus) brought me around. You can see Jan's trophy that he bagged, he uses it as his avatar, probably mounted on the wall of his workroom. Last pictures we've seen of your beautiful work was with the carousel horse and the finishing up of your home. Would really like to see some of your custom furniture. If it's anything like your other work it's beyond perfectio. It's because of you that I"m even on this site. Started out years ago googling for info on the Herters that I was working on and your name kept popping up. Finally followed a few links and found you on this site and decided to join in on the discussions. Since then I've made many friends and have gotten to personnaly meet many of them at shows and swap meets. Not to mention all the valuable informatin that you contributed and suggested. You still hold the record for highest karma points and that says a lot about what members think of you. Without your intervention I would probably be still thinking I'm the only guy who fixes up the old scows. You certainly changed my direction for retirement.

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138744

John,
Hey buddy glad to see your still kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say that the cover is not mine and I feel bad cuz I can't remember Todd's call sign on here! I have a cheat sheet but he's not on it for some reason, so sorry I cant help on that one. As Cal said, no apologizes necessary things happen, you deal with them and move on I'm just glad we haven't lost ya!!!!!!!!!! I've been meaning to call and see how ya are since we haven't heard firm ya on here in a long time. I've been tied up changing jobs and moving to Florida. I left Maryland in December 2018 and now live in Melbourne, South of Cape Canaveral. Been busy with new house projects and I haven't even had time to get back to work on the Century Resorter!

That's one hell of a Buck buddy, awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I t was great coming by your place and meeting you in person as well as your lovely wife and that awesome wolf. I'm sorry he's since passed on and I didn't get a chance to come back over that way again before I moved.

Don't be a stranger, drop in and let us know what your up to when you like. We still do Chats, they're on Tuesday's at 8:00pm Eastern time.

Good to hear from you buddy!

Bob

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138745

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John:

That's no trophy. It's my selfie! Don't pay any attention to Cal. Nobody likes him anyway.

Great to hear from you John. You've been missed. If you ever think you might want another boat, I have eight of them...some pretty decent and collectible that I'd be only too glad to donate. Come pick out whatever you want.

I just took in a 1964 Devil Ray to be restored sometime next fall. She a rough old girl but we'll make her a debutante. I've been working on turning a 1947 American-LaFrance V12-J into a marine engine. I still don't have a clue what I'm going to put it in but what the hell. It's cool and it keeps me home so I don't go out drinking with the geriatric chicks at the old folks home. As you can see, I've tricked the engine out with a vintage McCulloch supercharger. Still waiting on my spark plug wire pipes from the re-chromers but she's almost done. It's just another one of those "look at me" things. Here's a couple photos:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: john-gibson

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138748

John,

Really awesome to hear from you! Was recently looking at the Kainer steering wheel that you restored for me and wondering how you are doing. You were very generous with your time and talents and did a beautiful job on it. Thank you for that!

Life throws us some curves, but please know you have lots of friends here that enjoy hearing from you. I hope you post more often!

Paul

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138754

Waterwings wrote: John,
Hey buddy glad to see your still kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say that the cover is not mine and I feel bad cuz I can't remember Todd's call sign on here!

Is it Todd "the Tudor"? I have his contact info.
Larry

Missing 5 years 2 months ago #138755

Hey Larry I think that's it! John will have to verify for sure or you can contact Todd and ask.

Bob

Missing 5 years 1 month ago #138951

Hey, John, glad to see you are OK. I was getting a little concerned because I know you’ve had some health issues. I have been lurking a little but haven’t been around the site much myself. The CC is running good and the 59 Glastron is still a project. If you still have the hood and the parts, let me know and we’ll figure out how to get it to CT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Split

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139076

hi guys thanks for all the kind words ,you guys got me thinking of getting back in ,im not sure what my wife will say though ,lol ,I have missed you guys dearly you were all like family and I miss that.
and todd I will get with you to get that cowl back to you ,I hope you can forgive me ,I dont think I could forgive me ,there are no excuses.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139077

you are very welcome ,it was a pleasure to do it for you.

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139078

hi jan its great to see you again ,I miss my old buddies ,and seeing the fantastic restos you do ,I get kudos for restos ,I really dont deserve ,you my friend are the king of restorations ,I look up to you.

that engine is just out of this world ,its unbelievable ,very ,very impressive ,I hope to get back on more. and see my old family.

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139079

thanks for the nice words ,I appreciate them ,how are you buddy it has been a very long time .
I thank you for the thoughts about my wolf (Yukon) ,he liked you ,and I miss that fella a lot ,now we have a yorkie ,wow what a difference lol, we went from 137 pounds to 7 pounds ,lol.
it would have been great to see you again ,if you ever come to Pa again stop by

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139080

cal you have always been a very good friend ,im glad you reached out to me ,I want to be the guy I used to be ,heck I started on FG in 2006 ,when Kelly and sandy had the site.
I wish I would have stayed ,I have forgotten so much about these boats. I have a lot of catching up to do ,what is your current project? I would love to see what you have been up to.

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139081

jan I would love to see more of you work buddy ,it really blows me away seeing the great restos you do.thanks for asking about me ,im glad I was not forgotten.

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139083

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, so glad to hear from you. My last project is a 1960 Tomahawk ski-mate. I'm hanging up the rebuild aspect. Getting too old to crawl around under a bow and stretch under a gunwale. The enthusiasm isn't there anymore. The Tomahawk is just a 14 footer and is small enough for one person to handle and haul anywhere. I hang around in the background now trying to help out anyone I can with information that I've learned over the years from lots of trial and error, mostly error. Hope you will be doing the same, especially with your painting skills and color management, air brushing etc.
Don't be a stranger.
Prayers bud.

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139096

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well John, I seem to be THE Ski Nautique man. I'm finishing my 7th one and have two more in the wings. I also have a Custom Craft Devil Ray to do which I'm really looking forward to but that won't be until about this time next year. There's also a Master Craft, a CC Martinique and a Century in the queue. All the photos of the boats I've finished can be seen on my site in the "Restoration Photo Logs" column. The big question is if I'll live long enough to finish all the boats I have waiting. I'm not taking any more work until I see how things go. I just turned 70 this past January and I'm getting worn out. I might just sell out and retire in a couple years.

"Success makes...

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139113

boy Jan thats a fantastic offer I just may take you up on ,I need to keep busy ,it keeps me out of trouble and I would love to restore one more unique classic , I have some fg restoration stuff in the garage ,if the offer still stands ,please let me know ,my wife has always wanted to see the Biltmore estate in NC ,how far are you from there?

thank you Jan ,you might have just got me back into the classic FG restoration game that I used to love so much.

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139114

wow Jan your restorations are absolutely beautiful ,you always were the master.
you will live a long time buddy ,only the good die young ,lol.just kidding ,boy if anything happened to you the classic boating community would lose a lot.
you will have a lot of fun with the custom craft ,I sure did. one thing we learned was be careful cutting out the floor its not very deep ,lol

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139116

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, John...I've definitely decided to fold my tent when I finish out the boats I have in the queue...or sooner. I have two years work in house with deposits. I'm looking to sell the business...the whole nine yards as well as the house. The 2,000' drive-out basement is my restoration shop. Needless to say, I have everything needed to restore both mahogany and fiberglass boats, seven collector-type boats that I own and hundreds of marine parts and engines. For someone younger and with more energy, this would be an instant gold mine. 30 days free restoration lessons included.

Naturally, my offer stands. When can I expect you? Bring beer.

"Success makes...

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139117

boy ,that would be a great opportunity for a classic boat guy or girl , I know you run a tight ship ,just by looking at just how clean your shop is . mine is a little abused at the time ,lol.
and as for when ,it will be when I talk my wife into letting me do another classic ,lol ,do you have any pics I can show her to help her get used to the idea ,she was pretty happy when a got rid of my boats ,lol and going to Biltmore has long been something she has wanted to do for a long time ,so that might help ,lol, thank you very much my friend. I cant wait to meet you ….if im allowed ,lol

---Mark Twain

Missing 5 years 3 weeks ago #139119

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, as a reminder you could take a chance to show her, This is the Herters Flying Fish you gave me so much advice on.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6526 guests and one member online