• Page:

TOPIC: Custom Craft Manta Ray

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138333

• BenD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi folks.

I have recently purchased what seems to be the remains of a Custom Craft Manta Ray in South Africa.

And hoping you good people, would be able to help me out with the truckload of questions I have about these fine craft?

Best regards
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138340

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
WOW, CONGRATS, , That must be a record distance from Buffalo ,New York. Nickle City Classics was a forum site that had good history. .. That trailer seems like a matching unit.... In the rear transom , I see three pads on the bottom.. Maybe that makes the hull about 1961... maybe there is lots of paint in the rear splashwell. I recall if one looks into the right corner , Upside down that may be some small letters, #'s as the ID code. www.nicklecityclassics.com/

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138343

• BenD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, yes, thank you. I am concurrently in contact with Nickle City Classics on FB.
I do think the trailer is a matching unit, although I suspect it was locally built, and the design matches other trailers I've seen locally from that era.
I have looked for a serial number on the inside of the transom, but have not been able to find it, the boat seems to have been painted numerous times.

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138352

lots of info on fiberglassics.com and nicklecity classics.comm

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138360

• BenD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, I've been through most of the info on both sites. Truly awesome that it was available for me to find halfway around the world.
Would also really like to know more about the Custom Craft that were shipped overseas, page 19 of the 1962 brochure shows the fashion in which my Manta must've been shipped. I just wonder whether it was shipped here from New York, Virginia or Italy? Or perhaps it was shipped later in it's life with an American family that came to work here for a number of years, who knows?

I am currently starting to look for a matching / period correct outboard locally, and trying to find some history of this boat, hopefully some of the missing parts will pop up.
From the discussion on FB, I deduce any outboard between 50hp and 100hp will provide suitable propulsion?
The brochures stated the transom height at 16", is that also the outboard shaft length? And did it prove to be the optimum length or has time learned that a slightly shorter or taller outboard might provide better riding characteristics?

I also still have many other questions. Of the top of my head, was all models sold with a windshield?
If it were, I would need the approximate sizes of a Manta Ray windshield, height, depth, width?

Furthermore, I suspect in order to meet local maritime safety rules, I would need to fit buoyancy devices, either in the form of foam or flotation bottles or something, from your experience of the riding and handling characteristics of a Manta Ray or similar, where along the length of the boat would the extra weight be most acceptable?

Was the inside of the Manta's deck, the areas in which you could stand, flat? Or does it follow the contours of the hull?

"Remember When" seems to have aluminium/stainless steel strips on the outside of the gunwale and accentuating the "gills", were these standard fitment? Or to improve the looks?

Were the standard steering wheel a custom "Custom Craft" part, or was it perhaps sourced from an automotive application?

I would also need a high resolution photo and dimensions of the "Custom Craft" logo on the side of the gunwale to at least copy in vinyl, as I don't think I will be able to copy the casting, or find a replacement part.

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138364

1. i have a cast of the customcfaft logo whick appears 3 places on the boat. $10.00. i have the original remote control for a 6 cylinder merc in excellent condition with key...$200.00. i have the original 6 gallon gas tank with gas hose, eccellent condition $75.00. i have the side mirrors 2...$40.00.
the aluminum side stripss were stock from the factory,as were the transom aluminum strips. mine had the stock steering wheel, only mantaray that had it. the rest were retro. the boat was built for a short shaft. long shaft motor no good. dave albertson (nicklecityclassics) has many nos windshields.
the inside of the hull follows the exterior lines of the outside. the inside has no flat surfaces. the aluminum strips were for appearance only...the steering wheel was stock for that boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenD

Custom Craft Manta Ray 5 years 4 months ago #138366

• BenD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks mr Vuyosevich. I'll definitely be taking you up on the offer for the cast logo, perhaps the mirrors as well, will contact you for details.
The outboard and components I first want to try and source locally.
I'll contact mr Albertson about the windshield, just don't know what the shipping cost will be like.

Does the attached image feature a stock steering wheel?
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6645 guests and one member online