Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are these throughhulls for?

What are these throughhulls for? 5 years 4 months ago #138318

I'm about ready to splash a 1964 Dorsett San Juan, but I can't figure what these throughulls are for, and more importantly, are they above the waterline? Inside there is no valve attached to either of them (one on each side), and they are covered with plastic wrap. I am not kidding.

I'm attaching a photo. The upper throughhull is the bilge pump; the lower is the one in question, and there's one one the port side in the same location.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What are these throughhulls for? 5 years 4 months ago #138325

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Don't splash anything until you at least put a plug in that hole. Looks like it might have been or still is a feed or drain for a live bait bin. If you can trace the hole into the hull see if it has a hose connected to it.

What are these throughhulls for? 5 years 4 months ago #138326

It's not a line from a live bait bin, there are none on the boat. There's a plastic tube on the inside that extends about six inches upward into the under seat storage, and it's covered with plastic wrap and tied off with a rubber band around the tube. There is no sign that there was ever an actual valve in place.

I'm attaching two pictures of another San Juan that gives a good look at the throughhull in reference to the waterline, both at rest and under way. They're not under water at any time, but they're right down there. I think they're the lines from the original marine toilet (yuck) because one of them is right there in the space where it used to be, and the other is the drip line from the sink and icebox.
Attachments:

What are these throughhulls for? 5 years 4 months ago #138327

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
B,,,,,, Before I read the last line of your recent post,, I was going to say with a front cuddy cabin boat in the mid 60's that had option for Marine TOILET... The 2nd Glasspar Sedan we had came with a toilet & a real pain to remove..... Maybe early 70's when the enviromental laws got strict on inland boating.. My Brown cuddy still had the instruction manual taped to top of cover.... In the photo one can see the INLET circle way under the bow almost touching the trailer..... I am sure the Output / flush line is on the port side above the waterline.
Attachments:

What are these throughhulls for? 5 years 4 months ago #138382

Port was Galley sink drain and starboard was head pump out, looks the same on my 1960 Farallon

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7337 guests and no members online