Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting fish-on rod holder

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137812

Here is a pic of my boat. I bought a fish-on side mount rod holder and wanted to put one on each side of the back seat. The right side, looking at the pic, won't work because no room to turn the holder. The left side works, but the problem is the rod holder. In order to get full rotation of the holder, the side mount bracket needs to be flush with the top of the boat. Then, the top holes in the rod holder are too high to thru-bolt, no room on the backside to add washer and nut. My thought was to buy fittings and railing material and mount like a roll bar behind the back seat then mount the rod holders to the railing. Would like to side mount the railing with a 90 on each side back seat but might hit head on the rail as it will be right above the back seat. I am now thinking of low-profile top mounts and go between the 2 air scoops on each side across the back. I could then mount 3 holders across the back. Looking for any other thoughts on how to mount. Also trying to minimize the number of holes i'll need to drill.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137814

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Could you make a flat aluminum mounting plate that is thick enough to drill and tap for the 4 mounting holes without letting the screws protrude out the back ... then with the plate tall enough that it would allow you to raise the mounting height on the side mount to achieve the height you need for rotational clearance. Then have 4 separately drilled mounting holes for through bolting with 4 separate bolts. You could cut that plate as wide and tall as necessary and likely still keep it rather small to keep it a clean looking install. You could even paint black to match. That was the first idea that popped into my head. There likely are many better ideas out theee floating around. Hope you get other solutions to choose from. Good luck mounting.

Dr.Go!

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137815

Thought about that but leaning towards the bar idea so i can have multiple holders. Here is pic of boat. It didn't load before.
Attachments:

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137816

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That back area you described between the scoop vents looks like a decent area for you to fashion something across there. Might even align decent enough to custom make one or two center support brackets coming out of the splash well to keep it from sagging in the middle and help with added strength when you get big fish on all 3 or more rods at once. I never looked to see how many different ways manufacturers are building these things. The motor sits deep in that well which is probably nice handling the rods out the back.

Dr.Go!

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137817

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
To avoid more holes we found some deep "C" clamp type pole holders that go under the gunnel and over the top securely and the actual pole holder fits into the top sprocket and holds fishing poles in any angle. They're nice that we take them completely off and store in the gunnel side storage. No getting in the way of the cover and they were nicely padded so no finish marring.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Mounting fish-on rod holder 5 years 5 months ago #137827

Thanks for the info. Good suggestion on the center post. As for clamp rod holders, i bought one but it would not open wide enough. Thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)