Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137811

I'm currently restoring... well, scraping, sanding, and repainting... a 1964 Dorsett San Juan. When I got the paperwork for her there was a hull ID number assigned to her, probably by Pennsylvania, where she was last registered. I now have her in Maryland.

This weekend I was scraping and sanding the cabin way up in the point of the bow and uncovered an embossed plate that said Hull Number SV21C901. I know this isn't the format of HINs, but do you suppose it has any use at all in getting history on the boat?

Thanks!

James Schrumpf
Monrovia, MD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137819

The plate you found IS more than likely the HIN placed at the factory. Some prior owner probably did not find it when wanting to register and the state assigned one for him. Your dilemma is which number to use when you want to register in your state. May have to get your local DNR involved to decide which one to use going forward. Good Luck.

Dahatman

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137820

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My experience would advise you to not try and change that hull number now. It has an assigned number from a legit gov entity. If you try to change it now you will be opening up a can of worms. I'd put that tag you found in your circular archive and as you say just use it for reference if you are looking for history.

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137860

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The number you found is not a Hull Identification Number. It is most likely a serial number assigned by the manufacturer, but HINs were not required until 1972. For registration use the Pennsylvania HIN. However knowing that it has a separate serial number and knowing it's location is a good thing. Make sure you keep a record of it. It could prove valuable. I don't know if anyone has a history of Dorsett (other than here on Fiberglassics) but if you are trying to trace the history of the boat it could come in handy. It may be on old registrations if you can trace them back to the 60's.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137864

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If you are looking for the history try your local DNR or whoever registers your boats. Using the registration number on the boat, the one pasted to the bow, they usually have a trail of preveous owners. I've gone back over 30 years on a few of the boats I've purchased. It helps if you do it in person.

Hull number in 1964 Dorsett San Juan 5 years 5 months ago #137938

Does your San Juan have a outboard or I/O? Is the flybridge windshield glass or plexiglass? Just curious as I have 2 San Juans and both have I/O's, which I prefer. One is a four cylinder and one a six.
The glass windshields are very special. I will definitely have to look for that ID tag in the bow.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)