• Page:

TOPIC: Question about 1961 big twin

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137770

• commando
  • commando's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just got this motor yesterday for $150 don’t know much about motor but I know I like it when I saw it . Anyway the things that confess me is that why does this motor don’t have a starter and no wires at the plug in area? How does it supposed to start anyway? As you can see on left side and right I don’t see a starter at all.also at the plug area there is nothing
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137775

I see now - your motor is a manual start model. It's possible to add electric start if you have a donor motor to get the wiring, starter motor and flywheel from. I have a couple of starter motors available (with mounting bracket) if you want to go that route. At minimum, you could add a ring gear to your existing flywheel - I may have one of those somewhere, too. I can't see if your motor has the cut-out on the starboard side for the old side mount plug or if would take a newer harness that connects to the motor with a plastic plug and some hardwired connections. Once you figure out which you need, they turn up from time to time - place an ad here and at the AOMCI.org site. Watch e-Bay, too. You'd need the solenoid box, too, that mounts to the transom, although I've added solenoids under the cowling to simplify things on some conversions.

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137776

As for controls, any of the Evinrude "Simplex" style 2-handle controls, Johnson "Shipmaster" 2-handle controls, or Gale "Bosun" 2-handle controls will work from a functionality standpoint. I'd have to dig to see what the "correct" controls would be for your motor, as Evinrude changed the decal and color every year to match their motors.

These would be in the ballpark...
Attachments:

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137779

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Great thanks, I think I just keep it the way it is and just keep my eyes out for the control box only.

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137785

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sale me yours , hihihi

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137790

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have those parts available from a -60 Gale 40hp. Pretty sure they would fit your rig. I have the starter motor already mounted on the bracket, Also have a flywheel to match the starter and also have a ring that matches the starter. You would have to check the part number on the flywheel to make sure it would fit your application. The two lever control is also available but it's an older model that would work perfect. What length is your boat because control cables come in different lengths. I believe I also have the electrical box you need.
This is similar to the two lever control I have.

I have done this conversion once. You will also need a schematic of the wiring diagram but it's simple color coded pictures. Just need the right wires available at local stores and a key switch that is made for magnetos. A regular automobile key will not work. If you get tired o pulling the rope to start you know parts are here and available.
Good luck.
Attachments:

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137794

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I’m not much of a mechanic hihi . I think I just leave it the way it is but I love to buy the control and cable of you. My email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. please get in touch with me there. Thanks

Question about 1961 big twin 5 years 6 months ago #137795

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Don't be too quick yet. check out this link on ebay for these controls. You might get a pretty good deal. Since this site does not let us paste a link on ebay copy this one and take out the spaces after s: and l?
https: //www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? _from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xevinrude+simplex.TRS0&_nkw=evinrude+simplex&_sacat=0
Or just go on ebay and search "evinrude simplex.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6804 guests and 2 members online