• Page:

TOPIC: What do I have here?

What do I have here? 5 years 6 months ago #137753

• commando
  • commando's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I got this engine for so cheap ($150)and everything on it is still original and never been use yet everything still move and all nuts and screw is never touch even th spark plug is original. But I don’t know anything about it , it’s does have a control box so is it possible I can start it with the rope pull .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What do I have here? 5 years 6 months ago #137767

Yes, you can pull start it. I would not do so right away, though. Any motor that has been sitting for a length of time as yours has needs some basic TLC before running. A compression check and spark check are good starting points. Depending on how long it's been dormant, it may still have it's original 1961 coils (yes, I believe it is a 1961 Big Twin, going by the cowling). The original coils are likely cracked - nearly all of them are, and will need to be replaced, even if they throw a spark.

If spark and compression are dealt with, the motor can be made to run, so "seeing if it will run" is not necessary. Move on to a water pump impeller, carb kit and fresh hoses. Your original hoses WILL be brittle, will crack, and will leak fuel. Not good in an enclosed space.

What do I have here? 5 years 6 months ago #137768

• commando
  • commando's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yep check hose and there is smalll crack and about coil, compression,spark plug and impellers I have no idea . So I think I better get someone to service it and they can fire it up for me.

What do I have here? 5 years 6 months ago #137774

If you're at all handy, willing to learn, and have a basic manual, you should be able to do most of the work yourself. These aren't complex machines. About the only "special" tool you'd need is a harmonic balancer puller to assist in removing the flywheel to get to the ignition components. All else is basic screwdrivers and wrenches stuff. And, post here or in the J.E.G.O. forum with any questions you may have along the way!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)