Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137605

Hello everyone! I joined Fiberglassics earlier this year while in the midst of restoring my wifes 15' Wards Seaking runabout that her Father gave her. I'm almost finished with that project and had to find another to start on. (I think I have the disease!) So I purchased a Glasspar Seafair Sedan with a Chrysler 85 outboard last week. The boat was advertised as a 1967 but having done my best due diligence with research here as well as reading other blogs online concerning this marque I'm not sure if it is indeed a 1967 vintage. The reason I have my doubts is I read the early years had wood stringers but were changed to fiberglass stringers in the early 60's. My boat has wood stringers that most definitely will need to be replaced but my question is were some of the later hulls produced with wood stringers? The number plate is missing behind the Glasspar badge over the cabin door and the registration doesn't list the year so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137609

Hello Bingo and welcome to FiberGlassics.

I believe 1963 was the year Glasspar had changed over to fiberglass stringers.

The wrap-around helm panels on your boat is typically only seen on 59 and 60 models. Although the type of motor well on your boat was first used in 1960.

This is a documented 1962 Sedan with the box type helm panels.

59 with wrap-around panels

Good chance your boat is actually a 1960 model.

1967 was the last year for this Seafair type before Larson acquired Glasspar and made drastic changes to Bill Tritt's original design.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137619

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Terry, Oh Mama Mia, She's still a trophy winner.

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137627

Thanks Cal,

Yeah that's it. Notice the exclamation point in Mama Mia!
So it's along the lines of "Mama Mia! thatsa nicea boat"

At Bar Harbor on Gull Lake MN

Terry
Attachments:

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137644

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Terry, on the 62 type box type helm pictured, what is usually under/inside the passenger one on original installations? They have a little bronze hook on top to drop it down on the hinge. Mine is currently on my garage shelf and a little wooden 2cup and cell phone cubby holder is installed.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137667

Well hello out there. I to also just purchased a seafair sedan. I've had it a week last Saturday. but due to life and other circumstances
I have not been able to look at her. so while I was traveling I surfed the net with what little knowledge I had, and am excited and worried at the same time! It was listed as a 71 But from pictures I've seen I think it's older. So I'm ready for tomorrow to get here as it will be my first real look with some Idea of what I'm looking at and for! I know it has a springy deck did not look at transom. ( informed buyer ) All the bits and pieces seem to be there except for starboard rub rail end cap and broken bow light. I don't even know if the motor is seized I know the transom seal is shot. The 155 omc out drive is there but who knows ? It has a 4 cylinder I think chevy ? but does have dual carbs . I figure at best I put a few bucks in her and have a nice boat, at worst I disassemble her and sell the parts

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137691

Congrats Wharfrat on your recent purchase. I could not get a good look at the pictures of your boat as they came over very small. Keep us informed on your progress. I'm starting a lengthy project/process of a "hull up" resto on my boat. The stringers and transom are rotted, which I pretty much assumed they would be from years of abuse and neglect to properly store the boat from the elements. I think I'll try to document my resto on this forum for others as well as to receive help from members that have experienced the same project.
Anyway glad to see a new fellow Glasspar owner as myself.
Cheers!
Bingo

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137694

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CONGRATS, to both of the new members.. Sedans are great design and handle rough water.. i had a few here in Chattanooga, tenn.. Avatar profile pic is a 67 Brown outboard model.. Sold off about 3 years ago..

Recent purchase of Seafair Sedan 5 years 7 months ago #137701

Morning Split and thank you. I'm always glad to hear from other Glasspar owners with their experiences. Having had no previous experience with this hull it's reassuring to hear you say they are good in rough water. I plan to use mine upon completion of resto to cruise the Erie Canal and the Trent Severn Waterway.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7750 guests and no members online