Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat?

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137464

• Nemo
  • Nemo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Picked up this solid Glass Magic and have it in the garage and not in the field. Somebody painted the entire thing camo (some peoples kids). Making good progress. Cheers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137466

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Any reloadables in the bilge?
What did you use to remove the paint?

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137489

• Nemo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried a lot of things. acetone, oven cleaner, mineral spirits, heat, etc.. The only thing that works is sanding. Wet sand on the upper turned out ok.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137491

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sounds crazy but get a small can of brake fluid. Brush it on and let it sit awhile. There is a warning on those cans/bottles to not get it on the paint. Looks like you've done good so far.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137495

citristrip works great I use it at the shop all the time to strip off boats that someone has painted without hurting the gelcoat. Brake fluid is a very bad idea sabre if you ever want paint to stick to it again. It will fisheye paint forever because it soaks into the gelcoat. $8.99 a can at any home depot. My son is doing a Maxum now that some idiot painted the center stripe. I will try to get pics from him to post it. They never even sanded the gelcoat just shot apoxy primer on it and left it. Now its a buffable boat and will look beautiful when he is done.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137496

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mia Culpa on the brake fluid. all I know is that it will flake off old paint in a heartbeat.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137502

• Nemo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I will try the citristrip, Thanks. I know sanding is not gel-coat friendly. Or elbow friendly.

1960 Glass Magic Vixen..........duck boat? 5 years 7 months ago #137554

SO this is the boat that I was talking about, You can see the mid stripe was painted with red oxide epoxy primer. My son got to picking at it and found there was no sanding prep done. However on some spots there was as he got into it which made stripping it a challenge. Those spots were color sanded before buffing.

Here you can see it half stripped off with citristrip and its some work and you have to let it sit because its not all that aggressive compared to aviation stripper we use at the shop. It does not stain or hurt the gelcoat is the reason for using it.

Now that its stripped comes the Buffing and this one to start with was done with 3M super duty because it was not all that bad but it did leave some spots that will have to be color sanded and buffed with our new product line from Vengeance products. That stuff rocks and blows ppg and 3m in the weeds.

SO now we have the finished project ready to get final buffing and sealer coats. We will run new stripe lines when the polishing is completed. SO there ya have it guys Citristrip rocks. I have taken duck paint off a bunch of mercs and omcs to save the original paint and it works great. It will take off most paints that do not used catalysts, and even some that do depending on the quality of the paint. High end paint like PPG or DUpont are hard to strip, hardware store paint and brightsides fall right off.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6635 guests and one member online