Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS??

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137300

I have recently acquired a '59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan that has headlights in the hull. I have search the web for weeks and can't find any information about the Seafair having headlights. Was it an option, a proto-type? It looks to perfect to be home-made. The cutouts in the hull have a trim ring that holds an aluminum tube about 5in in diameter that insets in the hull. the light in mounted in the end of the tube. HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE WITH HEADLIGHTS?? The boat is in poor condition but I'm thinking it might be worth restoring?
I have the boat stored and it will be a few weeks until I can get photos to post. Thanks, Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137304

Several years ago a ‘64 Sedan followed me home. Since then, I have done exhaustive research in preparation for it’s restoration, which starts in ernest next month 🤗 That being said, I have never seen headlights on a Sedan. You can buy them aftermarket so I assume that is what someone has done. Once I get started I intend on start some sort of blog.

Good luck with your Sedan

DR

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137305

Hello Randy & DandyDan,

Welcome to Fiberglassics.

I don't believe docking lights was a Glasspar factory option.

This 67 Seafair Sunliner has had after-market lighting added.

Originally restored 59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Mama Mia!

Please post pics of your Sedans.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137309

Thank you all for your help and input. When I can go back to where I have it stored I'll get some pictures and post them. I do have a couple of pictures the seller gave me of the boat several years ago. When I have time I'll try to scan and post them. Both of these pictured are beautiful. I can only hope mine will look this nice someday. Thanks again, Randy

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137313

Hi Terry, I've seen pics of your Sedan many times during my research, nicely done!! Hopefully my pics made the trip? Here's the short story; I wasn't looking for a boat when she found me and I made a "site unseen" offer on her. I knew she wasn't seaworthy and trusted the guy when he said she ran. BUT, up close and personal she was a little rougher than imagined, but a deal is a deal, besides I figured I could have parted her out to recover my 600 bucks if need be. What I now know. She's a 64 built in CA who someone "converted" to an I/O, 99% sure it's a 140 horse Mercruiser. Not a "bad" conversion BUT, I will be cutting the top off that transom and stepping it back to make it look more original. I've spent the last coupla years making plans and gathering parts and can't wait to get started this Fall. I live in PHX so if anyone recognizes her please let me know, I'd love to know more about her.

Looking forward to seeing your Sedan, Randy.

Dan
Attachments:

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137351

Thanks Dan,

I have seen pictures of other Sedans that have I/O conversions and have always been curious if Glasspar made factory retrofit parts available. Best I can tell is that 1964 was the first year the I/O option was listed on Glasspar price pages and I have seen where it was mentioned to be a dealer option in 63.

This is a California built 1959 with the Volvo Penta 80 which was first available 59.

This is a 60 Phaeton with a Volvo Penta 140 which was not on the market before 1963 so
Pluggin' it could have been an outboard Sedan with the I/O plugged in?

Tennessee built 59 Volvo Penta 65 and obviously retrofitted.

Ad shown in FG library in 1961 Glasspar info.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: DandyDan

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 7 months ago #137361

Thanks for the pics Terry,
Of the handful of I/O’s I’ve seen, no two have been the same :-) I’ve attached a pic of Father Goose’s Sedan that will be the model for my
transom “re-fit”
The serendipity that surrounds my boat is a little spooky; A coupla months after aquiring my Sedan, I met a fella in Cholla Bay Mexico, four hours south of PHX, on the Sea of Cortez, who had just had a pair of 250’s stolen from his Angler....WTF. Turned out, he also has a Sedan and loves it. Not only that, he had another one for sale. Sadly, it was in rough shape but provided me with all the missing parts I needed and then some, eventually I should have extra parts to offer. Happening upon two Sedans within a coupla months of each other, in Arizona of all places was quite fortuitous, I must say! I will post progress pics, in the coming months. I am totally jazzed to finally start tearing into her.

Dan
Attachments:

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 6 months ago #137583

Here is a look
Attachments:

'59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan HEADLIGHTS?? 5 years 6 months ago #137787

Those are definitely some serious lights. Good luck with your project!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)