Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A little advice needed

A little advice needed 5 years 8 months ago #137107

I just purchased a 1968 Starcraft "Arrow" with a 1968 40hp Evinrude from the original owner. It has been in storage for at least 30 years and in his garage for another 20. It hasn't been in the water no more than 12 to 15 times with 30 to 50 hours of total running time. It is all original and in fine shape and I would like to leave it that way. My only problem is that I have the boat in Florida where it is hot and the the original upholstery is black and impossible to sit on. Would changing the upholstery to a light color that was offered by Starcraft during that time have an effect on the value (not that it is worth much) or should I just have a seat cover made and leave as is.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A little advice needed 5 years 8 months ago #137108

My opinion ? I'd try seat cover first, but put a white blocker on the seat cover between the black and new seat cover.
I'm kind of guessing, by the time you price out new upholstery ? you'll try covers first ?
By the way, after the motor sitting so long ? If you have not changed out the impeller.... do so ! I was told whether the motor is used or not, every 5 years, change the impeller. More motor savy folks can give better advice ?

A little advice needed 5 years 8 months ago #137109

Thanks for reply. I do intend on changing the impeller. The previous owner did take it out on the lake a week before I bought it and it did pump water. But I will change the impeller and rebuild the Carb it did drip a some fuel.

A little advice needed 5 years 8 months ago #137112

Or you could just sit on a towel.
Ron

A little advice needed 5 years 8 months ago #137113

tpetronecr,

Big Twins by OMC are (imo) the BEST of the classic OBs. - Nonetheless, & regardless of how new they look, I believe that you should rip out the points, plugs, condensers, both coils, plug wires & the water pump impeller & replace all of them. = ALL of those parts are (together) the sole weakness of the Big Twin. Otherwise, the Big Twins are about as TOUGH as a dollar steak & grossly over-engineered.

You can buy all the necessary parts from your local NAPA auto parts store as SIERRA parts for less than 125 bucks.

NICE rig, btw. WELCOME ABOARD, too.

yours, satx
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpetronecr@gmail.com

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5692 guests and 2 members online