• Page:

TOPIC: Green Bay show

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136962

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The initial Show in Green Bay, Wi could be termed a huge success. Hosted by South Bay Marina in cooperation with ACBS Glacier Lakes chapter there were more boats there than I ever expected. Only wish there was more glass. Lots of woodies. This event will only grow and should be put on next years calendar. I have a number of pictures that I will post later but here are some. Mostly in water displays, great people. Andreas brought a Thompson that is a work in progress, would like to follow a rebuild on this one.
Weather was perfect. Hot sun with a breeze off Green Bay.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136964

63 Sabre:

Thanks so much for your report and pictures Sir!

I grew up in Green Bay and sure would have been there with our two Glasspar Boats if I lived there now. Looks like the weather was great.

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136965

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136966

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136980

Thanks for posting the pictures Cal! With it being in town I will bring more boats next year. I can have the kids bring their Marlin again and hopefully I will have the '55 Larsen done by then - if I don't sell it first. If I get really ambitious maybe I will have the '62 Lonestar Triton or the '79 GT-150 ready to go by next year. I will have to schedule a "glass class" with you and Dr Go

It was a great facility and nice event to attend. It was good to relax and sit in the shade and talk about boats. Too bad we had to do a "touch and go" with my boat launch for the boat parade, but the Mustang is up and running again after a new 15 amp fuse.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136984

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice pictures. Looks like I missed a great “new show “. I wish it wasn’t on the same weekend as the Iola car show that has been going since 1972. I love my Glassic boating, but already have a family tradition of going to the car show. If it were any of the last 2 weekends in July, I would go. Sure looks like a great facility and I bet that cruise up river through downtown was nice. ( heading south up river... yes the Fox river is one of few rivers in America that flows north as down stream up into Green Bay ... just thought that might be fun trivia).

Dr.Go!

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136986

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It did pose a problem. Iola, boat show, class reunion.....
Was Bill there?

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136988

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Even 2 days is not enough to see everything at Iola. Maybe I can go Thursday next year and try to get the boat over there for the weekend. I will have to see how it lines up. Sure looked good at Green Bay. Those docks at the newly developed City Deck riverfront looks amazing! Just watch out for the big 600-800 foot ships. The river gets a bit narrower lol. When they go through the 3 lift bridges it’s like threading a needle.

Dr.Go!

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136989

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I had a reunion that needed me,,1st in 45 yrs,I did Iola since 70 or 71,didnt miss,quit in 2007 had enough,Been doing some stuff here,,Might try Green Bay next year,,oh well see ya someplace

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #136992

Mark - don't mention how cool the river cruise would have been!!!! That is still a bit of a sore spot for me........

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Green Bay show 5 years 9 months ago #137002

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oops - sorry about that Mark. I always keep an invisible rope so when Cal toes me, people can’t believe how quiet my vintage motor is. If I ever got stranded in the old days, you could take the aluminum wrapping off of gum stick and wrap around a blown fuse to get you back to shore.

Dr.Go!

Green Bay show 5 years 8 months ago #137334

Hey Cal,

Thanks for covering the show and posting photos. Those Glacier Lakes folks sure know how to throw a party.

Andreas' Thompson Cruiser is a gem and I am looking forward to seeing it on the water down around the bend.

A long time favorite of mine is Scott Bruesewitz's 1955 Permacraft CHOLE.

Scott showed her at Geneva Lakes a few years back where he won Best Fiberglass and provided a short write-up on the boat for the show program:
"Chloe was built by PERMA-CRAFT Corporation, North of Detroit, Michigan.
PERMA-CRAFT Corporation, "builders of fine fiberglass cruisers" was owned by Ray E. Waters, President and Joseph Bright, Vice President. Ray E. Waters, (and maybe all of his employees) previously worked for Chris-Craft Corporation and dreamed of building boats for himself. In July, 1954, PERMA-CRAFT this model was announced as the fastest fiberglass pleasure boat on the water. Originally designed to be the safest, simplest to maintain and most durable for her time. Chloe is one out of approximately 16 PERMA-CRAFT power boats. Scott Bruesewitz bought the boat in 1991 and has done all the restoration work including painting hull & topsides, installing and varnishing ceiling and deck and so much more! She is cruised on Lake Michigan and all the Milwaukee rivers."

The story I heard is they used a Chris-Craft Express Cruiser hull to form the mold which appears to be evident.

Thanks,
Terry

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)