Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136567

So im in San Diego and the boat has only seen the bays and open water here only a few miles away. Im going to be spending a few months in Springfield Mo. and would like to take in the lake of the Ozarks and a few others in the area. I will be taking my 7.3 F350 Ford so no problem with pulling the boat. But my buddys are saying it too big for a cross country vacation and the 23ft. Is not conducive to a lot of the water ways... im not buying that. What do you guys thank that pull your boats around for vacations? issues? Too big?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Change is Opportunity!

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136570

My opinion ? I bet the F350 can toe you house across country ?
As long as the lights, bearings and tires are good ? Go for it ! A good running boat is no good on a trailer. Ha-Ha-Ha !
Especially if all you think about is..... I should have brought the boat.... I should have brought the boat... Worst case ?
People staring at your boat as they drive along on the highway !!!
Really ? What does a 5th wheel 40 foot trailer weigh ? Same difference to me ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Metal Twister

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136572

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
If you have a boat that size and a one ton, then you are no rookie. I f you are like most people that tow, your tires are good , bearings good and greased, lights good etc. I figure if my equipment is not good enough to tow cross country, then I also shouldn’t tow it across town. I also wouldn’t think the draft on your boat would make most of your lake adventures impossible. I just check lake maps, check with locals and know the draft at idle and also how deep I dig on take off. I just ran a strange yet miles long large lake that the deepest spot was 7 feet. Certainly your big rig drafts more, but you can easily check out specs on those lakes (big and small) and likely enjoy safe boating. If I were on the ozarks and someone said join me on the 24 footer all day, I would leave my shallow 20 footer on the trailer. If you are up for it, go for it. I read a great story of a family towing their trailerable houseboat across the country for a family vacation and their story and memories were priceless! Seems you have the right equipment. Best wishes on your decision.

Dr.Go!

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136574

Yeah that was my thinking as well. I do pull a 5'er without issue and the boat is no different as far as length goes. The old Manual 6 speed 4x4 doesnt even grunt when I ask her to pull so thats not an issue. I just put E rated tires all the way around all my trailers so it should be just fine. Once out of Californa I can get out of 4th doing 55 and get up to speed the rest of the way. Think Im leaning towards dragging it along. Thanks guys.

Change is Opportunity!

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136579

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Vacation without a boat? That's not a vacation. Go For It. Shouda-cudda will haunt you if you don't.

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136602

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think you should take it. When we travel without a boat, I often see places to launch and wish I had the boat with me. One thing I will mention: If we travel with a boat far enough to need to spend the night somewhere, I try to plan that in more detail than when solo. The obvious reason is you need a motel/hotel with a parking lot big enough to maneuver the rig easily and preferably a place to park where you can leave it hitched ("Truck Parking" is best for that). An option for you might be a campground, if you can sleep in your bell boy. After a couple of days on the road, the planning ahead and picking places to stop become automatic. Good Luck.

Take the boat on vacation or not? 23ft. Bell Boy 5 years 10 months ago #136603

Good thoughts indeed. My truck is 8’ with a camper shell on the back so sleeping arrangements are not an issue. Just me doing what ever I want. Never would of thought about sleeping in the boat on the trailer... I will now. Thanks again.

Change is Opportunity!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7064 guests and one member online