Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136339

• TheToyBox
  • TheToyBox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
As most of you guys know I am a avid collector and have acquired over 40 some boat over the years to my personal collection. Plus run a shop that restores outboards and Mopars. Well I watch craigs list constantly like the rest of you guys looking for that next fix lol. Ya its an addiction to say the least. I love the line look what followed me home used by many of you guys. When its actually a cognitive distortion to justify yet another purchase but we get it. Well about a week ago I fell onto a boat I could not live without again and its a 1960 wards boat with a 60hp scott. Being a Scott nut I was all over it. I agreed to buy the boat on the spot but then I heard the tail of how this guy got the task of selling off these boats. My heart just dropped at that point. Greg told me that he was helping a widow out thats a nabor after her husband died and he was an avid collector. Greg not having the knowledge that I do about the boats that where there asked for my help. SO I was glad to help after he told me that this sweet lady was broke and getting evicted from the property, yet another heart drop moment for me. I have seen this happen so many times in the last 10yrs it jerks at my heartstrings to know end. As I asked if he had small motors I was informed that he had about 60 but they had gone in for scrap. I said WHAT!!! I guess he had a guy from the antique motor club come in and he told him there was nothing here so he scrapped them. DAM its still parts and any of us guys would have given more than scrap price given this women money issues. So on we go and he sends me more pictures that were not posted. Many boats that are still savable to a new home and income for her is what I saw. Crestliners, a Winner, a couple of larsons one I agreed to buy because of the merc on it. I big ol wood Chris Craft that was in an arrested state of decay. Plus many other later model boats.
Then pictures of 2 boats came in described as some cat hull boats. WHAT those are OMC boats I told him. One is a Johnson Deluxe and the other is an Evinrude Sportsman or Sporster both being early 60s stuff. They look solid and today I am waiting to here on engine conditions. My hope is there not locked up but if they are that could change the value I put on them. The sportsman/sportster had a really cool motor in them I called a sideways 90hp. They are cool and I always wanted one for the man cave. People look at them and go what is that. So in this Thread I was hoping that some one was an OMC collector and would give these a good home. I hope the engines are savable and that someone steps up to own them at a fair price. I consider it to helping out the elderly as well. NO one wants to see our spouses in this predicament, no money and getting evicted. I am adding the latest pictures I have and I will get more when I go to get my boats. I am donating my time as well to help move all of them and to figure out whats, there that can be sold to help her. She has till June but not sure if its the 1st or the 30th. Then they all go to scrap. I would hate to see that happen. The cost of scrapping a boat in Minnesota is high and the goal is to make her money not cost her money.

Ok I am done lol Thoughts Boys
If you want more info email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136340

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I just gotta say you are a good man the way you are trying to help someone in a rough situation. For a busy person to take time aside from your busy life to help someone in need by using your expertise and resources like this site to reach further to others that might be able to help, says a ton about your character. Though I am not in a position to help, I hope this thread finds its way to someone looking for these cool boats. Best wishes!

Dr.Go!

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136342

Kudos to you for wanting to help her out. I'm too far away. Those old Johnsons have a really high cool factor and I hope you find good homes for them.
Rodney

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136345

I'm restoring what looks to be the same Larson you just purchased. If she has a short shaft outboard in the 60-70 HP range, I'd like to be able to purchase it from her. I'm still a bit away from actually needing a motor and was biding my time for one but If the sale of one could help her out, I'll buy now. Where is the location?
Edit: I just saw Mn. Please keep us informed.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136351

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I happen to have a 70s short shaft 60hp if your interested email me. She doesnt have any other shortys. The way is sounded they went in for scrap. boohoo

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136352

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Mark I do what I can when I here about stuff like this. Last winter we lost some friends in our sled club and his wife had no clue he had over 50k in vintage sled stuff and if it was not for a close friend it would have gone for a song. It seems there are plenty of people that would steal pennies off a dead mans eyes so to speak. I get the part about getting a deal on something BUT really. Knowing something is worth 5 grand and offering 500 is not cool with me. Then they go flip it and pocket the money. Just maybe if more people cared about each other and had a respect for life the world would be a better place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiramsaint

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136353

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Here are some more pics of the Johnson Deluxe and the Evinrude sportsman or sportster Greg sent me. Still waiting on what motors are in them and condition. I may donate a trailer to the Evinrude to get the stands cuz I could use them at the shop. I have to commend Greg for taking this on for her he is the real hero here.
Attachments:

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136356

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I couldn’t agree more with your words. Respect and decency can go a long way. Sorry to hear of the loss of one of your sled friends. I once drove an Evinrude Sweet 16 for a week for another family when Dad had to go back to work. He trusted me to pull his kids skiing while camping. I believe it had a 90hp Inboard- Outboard. It was a very smooth and fun boat to drive! Anyone willing to bring one of those back to life would surely enjoy it and make lots of friends at the landing and beaches.

Dr.Go!

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 11 months ago #136357

The Evinrude is a 1967 Sportsman with a 4 stoke I/O. In other words, its a 4 cylinder 120 or V6 155 HP. So the actual model designation will be Sportsman 120 or Sportsman 155 depending on engine size. Although that boat was available with the 90 HP 2 stoke (DU model), it doesn't have one. The 2 stoke had a small gearcase & the engine hatch would be lower/more streamlined.
The brown boat is a Deluxe, an early model due to its color. Could be a 2 stoke 90 HP, a 155 V6 or if a 1963, a Dual Deluxe (dual 2 stokes), the most rare.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136463

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
yes Jim you are spot on and I was hoping that it had the 90hp cuz they are really cool looking.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136464

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ok Here is the latest on this sad tale. I got word last week that June 30th is the drop dead date this stuff has to be gone. THere are 14 boats there and I also found out this lady has no money to put a deposit down on a new place. The owner of the property said she could abandon the boats but the fear is that she will get sued for disposal fees. I am posting craigs list ads today and try to move some for her.

THe johnson Deluxe is missing the motor and drive. Its pretty cooked too but the floor is good and the windshield is good. I think we are going to dump it on the ground and use the trailer on the sportsman. I offered to bring a trailer for the sportsman and I can if someone wants the trailer to go with the deluxe. Again time is not on our side here.

The sportsman is worthy of saving and is complete less the fuel pump floor is good too even though its covered with leaves. I love the twin carbs. I am going to buy the stands its pictured on and I do have a trailer that could handle the boat ok. IF someone has the desire to buy it and has a trailer that would be great too. I am putting some more pic of the sportsman up today. Its really a cool boat I wish I had the extra money to get it. I really have no idea what to put on it for a price either so some feedback would be great. I was thinking $800 with a trailer.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136467

In know it's a charity deal, but I think the price is too high. And, seats are original frames, but not original fabric.

FYI, both those boats have fiberglass stringers so a floor project is just that, floor, not stringers.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136468

check out this site & this link is my boat
omcboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1755

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136469

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Those boats are built like tanks. My very first rebuild was I think a '67 Johnson, Not sure on the details because it was sooooo long ago, probably early 80's. What was really neat about the boat is that the dashboard was clean, nothing but the helm and all the instruments were in a vertical line on the right side. Had the Buick V6 that was indestructible. Got the thing for $150 but the driveshaft in the LU was sheared and I had a devil of a time finding a replacement. Wound up having a machine shop welding it together. You could have built a mobile home on that trailer. Stable on the water with a smooth ride.

Evinrude johnson OMC boats a sad tale. help needed 5 years 10 months ago #136490

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I would love to help out but it's just too far away. I have owned six of the OMC Deluxes, 3 of them were Dual Deluxes. I still own one of them and am in the process of restoring another for a client.

Anyway, "the money" is in the hull-specific trailer (almost impossible to find), engine cover, windshield, windshield lifting motor/mechanism, dash panel and the port/starboard running light lenses. The cleats are also unique to these boats, I believe. If there are no takers, try to save these items. I'll buy the windshield mechanism, lenses and cleats at a fair price if they can be shipped.

The folding framework for the top (and a top for a pattern) is the holy grail...I've never found one. Look all around carefully for it. If you find it, it would be worth some semi-serious money to me.

Consider posting "For Sale" listings on this site: www.omc-boats.org/ May generate buyers for the boats and/or the parts. Worth a shot?

By the way, hitting "Insert" when you load photos makes things a lot easier for browsing.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'