TOPIC: HELP!

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135105

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Gentlemen:
I'm redoing a Chrysler Slant Six engine and I can't figure out the plumbing. The way I received it, there was NO WAY that it would work. There is/was no water pressure to the transmission oil cooler. The engine has a double Sherwood pump with two inlets/outlets but nothing seems to make sense to me. (OK, I admit it. I really don't know everything!) What I need is a photo of the plumbing on the starboard side of of an inboard slant six engine. I can find nothing on the internet that will solve my problem. If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135106

I did a search on all craiglist for marine Chrysler slant 6. found this add with a pic that may help "
allentown.craigslist.org/boa/d/1970-correct-craft-swinger/6402658023.html
Attachments:

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135107

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sometimes when I do a Google search, I first select “Images” and then enter my search. I can then compare many examples. I did find several pictures of existing slant 6 Marine engine pictures that looked like original installs. Maybe that could help. I also found a cool article on the entire history of Chrysler Marine when I checked out a combined twin v-8 package.

Dr.Go!

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135108

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks but I've already done the Google Images search. I just can't find a photo, article, manual that shows how the marine plumbing is done. A guy from Correctcraftfan.com has a Slant 6 engine in his boat and he's going to send me the photos I need.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135110

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Direct source is always best. Sorry I was of no help. I thought you would like those combined twin Mopar packages that combined into one output shaft. Twin v-8’s combined must be for big rigs. My friends Marine 318 in his 1977 Correct Craft sure looked industrious where you wanted to keep the motor box closed in public. I always hear it is hard to kill a slant 6.

Dr.Go!

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135116

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Jan, you're not getting too many responses because you started your query with "gentlemen".
I could only find a picture of one sherwood double on the net so I'm guessing it's what you are writing about.
I'm wondering if they are two different systems, one in/out to cool the motor/exhaust and the other in/out for the tranny. I would first test the pump itself. take it off the motor and run hoses from a bucket of water and drive the pump with your drill. If it pumps at least you know that part is good. A weak impeller(s)? If both pumps put out lotsa pressure just run one hose to the motor cooling lines and the other to the xmission.
My initial guess that one of the impellers is bad or someone the internals before you got it and maybe removed a separating diaphragm.
Upon further review of the picture it looks like the inlets are larger than the outlets. Try running the smaller outlets to the motor/tranny. Could be that the design just made it easier to route hoses on both sides of the motor. Or....tne larger nipples are for motor cooling and the smaller nipples for the tranny, Either way if I were you I'd do the bucket test just to see what and where and how the pump works.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Cal
Attachments:

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135118

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal...You're right about using the word "Gentlemen." I was trying to give you guys the benefit of the doubt. It's a wonder I received any responses at all!

Yes, the impellers were junk and I've ordered replacements but that's not the problem. The problem is hose routing. The way I received it, there was a hose BEFORE the pump that went to the transmission cooler and then dumped into the exhaust manifold exit. Obviously, there is no way that water could be sent up through that cooler...apparently the work of an engineer.

My original thinking was to do the plumbing the "right way" but after several days of asking questions, scouring the internet and still coming up with zero, I figure it's time to give up. The only thing left for me to do now is "fake it." I'm just going to plumb everything in a way that makes sense to me and then do tests to make sure water is getting to where it's needed.

If that doesn't work, so what? It's not my boat!

"Success makes...

HELP! 6 years 3 months ago #135122

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
For what it's worth. Free information is not worth much.
If both in(s) and out(s) pump good, just run one through the motor block - from the block through the manifolds and out the poop chute. Run the other to the tranny and "Y" it to the manifold exit. Of course you already thought of that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8570 guests and 2 members online