Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4hp Gnat Thrust Hub

4hp Gnat Thrust Hub 6 years 5 months ago #134709

hi, my nephew recently bought a 4hp gnat ser #9189197 and he needs a thrust hub part # 70588 which is no longer available. Anyone know where to find one?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4hp Gnat Thrust Hub 6 years 5 months ago #134713

Sometimes the thrust washer gets lodged in the front end of the propeller.
If not,...Armed with the propeller shaft & the propeller, the thrust washer could be fabricated.
One of the thrust washer's jobs is to stop its forward edge & the propeller from being able to go forward too much and consequently rub on the gear case housing and retaining ring.
Its other job is to keep the front edge of the propeller's hub centered.
I have attached a picture of this item #49 from www.marineengine.com
Since you are only dealing with a 4 HP Merc that isn't supported much by Mercury Marine,...Rather than concerning yourself with the related taper on the propshaft,...IMHO,...Your machinist could fabricate a simple washer with its I.D. at a clearance measurement to the general prop shaft, and the O.D. at the measurement that would fit snug into the forward end of the prop's hub. The washer's thickness would create the separation between the front of the prop & the gear-case & retaining ring.
Of course, if your machinist looks at the taper, and can duplicate it for a reasonable fee,...You could spend that money.
doc

Attachments:

4hp Gnat Thrust Hub 6 years 5 months ago #134714

thanks doc, i will pass it along, i think he said the previous owner said it was made of rubber. have you ever seen a rubber thrust hub? He lives in Alaska so i haven't actually seen the motor.

4hp Gnat Thrust Hub 6 years 5 months ago #134715

It "looks" like metal, which all the larger HP Mercs would have, but I'll bet a Teflon or very stiff rubber one would work on the little Gnat.
Just IMHO,
doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6450 guests and one member online