• Page:

TOPIC: Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134632

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
The white carpet in this head is filthy. Also, the ceiling is sagging. So my plan it to remove the carpet and see what I get in to. Any ideas what I could use instead of carpet on the walls and ceiling? If you look at the pic of the door you'll notice that under the carpet there is most likely unfinished glass.

Options that come to mind are:
  1. new carpet and sound backing
  2. skim coat or smooth the surface
  3. us a thick textured paint

Any other Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134637

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Might that material they use for car headliners (with the foam backing pre-attached to fabric(in a white or light color) work. That could give you sound deadening and also a light surface to keep light reflecting in a small space...and perhaps it could be formed to fit contours. Could a 3M spray adhesive work to fasten? ...just thoughts as I was looking at a scarp from when my car headliner was done. Likely not mold resistant, but maybe a scotchguard surface spray could be used. Maybe this area would not necessarily get wet. Just trying to think of something that would be flexible to work with and easy to install and obtain. These are NOT professional thoughts, so please check with the experts.

Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134641

is that "carpet" anywhere else on the vessel . if it is they used it to cover the walls and ceiling as a fabric. just like a headliner, you might go to a fabric shop and find the old tuck and roll fake leather fabric. with a light backing on it. then spray it in and tuck it. or something like tuff coat is very forgiving on unfinished areas, i had indoor outdoor carpet on my walls and after removal the imperfections were too many to smooth out so tuff coat colored it and cleaned everything up. just a thought.

billy

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134652

Dan:

I would recommend a paint called "Zolatone" to you for your boat. We have two (2) classic "Glasspar" Boats and that paint was used exclusively by Glasspar for the interior floors of their boats. The stuff is tough and wears very well and it is fairly easy to use. It also comes in many different colors. Here is a link for you so you can look and read up about it:

www.tcpglobal.com/Brands_4/Zolatone-20-Series-Colors/

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134653

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for all the ideas. A marine vinyl with a backing would probably look nice but I like the thick textured paint options. It would be a lot easier to apply the paint.

This white carpet material was only used in the head. The only other carpet is a tan colored carpet inside all the lockers under the seats. There was a snap in carpet but previous owner didn't have that.

This is the first I've heard of Zolatone. People always recommend Kiwi-Grip or Tuff Coat. I'll give it a look.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134656

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Has anyone used the Zolatone marine vinyl restoration spray? I have a few spots that don't look the best, but overall my upholstery is in really good shape. Maybe could use something like this instead of a complete re-upholstery job.

www.tcpglobal.com/SEMM25063.html?sc=115&category=1931658#.WftlhWhSy70

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134657

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cool - found a Zolatone color that looks like what was used on my 1958 floor. Sorry for the dumb question, but is this intended for spray applications only, or can I roll it on? Upper sides of my old boat look like new, but worn on bottom where not many splatter specs are left. Will this paint seal out water as well ...where the resin might have thinned or paint faded?

Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134659

Dr.Go! wrote: Cool - found a Zolatone color that looks like what was used on my 1958 floor. Sorry for the dumb question, but is this intended for spray applications only, or can I roll it on? Upper sides of my old boat look like new, but worn on bottom where not many splatter specs are left. Will this paint seal out water as well ...where the resin might have thinned or paint faded?

Dr.Go:

I would give "TCP Global" a call and ask them about using a roller. I sprayed our Glasspar Boats with an older style spray gun, NOT a
HVLP Gun. Zolatone is a different kind of paint to work with as there are "paint particles" in it that have to be thoroughly mixed before use. In fact, in the instructions they tell you to be sure and "slowly stir the mixture for at least 30 minutes before using."
But, it is a great paint and I love the way it looks when it is all finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134663

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks 1960RedG-3! When I get a chance, I will check.

Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134665

Dr.Go! wrote: Thanks 1960RedG-3! When I get a chance, I will check.

You are very welcome Sir! Please let us know what they say about using a roller to apply the Zolatone.

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134666

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just called and talked with tech support after reading their specs on-line that said to spray 2 coats with a pressure pot. He said it cannot be rolled and must be sprayed with 2 coats per the spec sheet. The specs sheet had excellent information and instructions and gives all settings and spray distances. I will need to check to see if a friend has this type painting equipment. It also mentioned 2 types of guns that could be used. Specs said paint comes ready to use... just needs gentle mixing per instructions. I like this product and now need to compare it against my previous research that used a texture rubber granular for anti-slip on floors. My present floor is deadly slick after 50 years of use ( the natural inner texture is worn smooth). Didn’t mean to high-jack this thread...it does look like one of the better solutions for that toilet head cubby.

Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134669

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I wouldn't call it a hijack. The information is pertinent to the original question. Thanks for looking it up! Any way you could attach that spec sheet or give a link?

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134672

Dr.Go! wrote: I just called and talked with tech support after reading their specs on-line that said to spray 2 coats with a pressure pot. He said it cannot be rolled and must be sprayed with 2 coats per the spec sheet. The specs sheet had excellent information and instructions and gives all settings and spray distances. I will need to check to see if a friend has this type painting equipment. It also mentioned 2 types of guns that could be used. Specs said paint comes ready to use... just needs gentle mixing per instructions. I like this product and now need to compare it against my previous research that used a texture rubber granular for anti-slip on floors. My present floor is deadly slick after 50 years of use ( the natural inner texture is worn smooth). Didn’t mean to high-jack this thread...it does look like one of the better solutions for that toilet head cubby.

I agree with FG Member dlatshaw,......I don't think you have "hijacked" this thread at all! In fact, thanks so much for calling TCP Global to get some clarification on rolling the Zolatone. I was pretty sure it needed to be sprayed, but had never really asked them about rolling it.

Let me add a few things to what you have posted about the Zolatone. I was told by a previous member here that Zolatone could be sprayed with an HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure) Paint Gun. In my opinion, that is FALSE as I tried it and had nothing but trouble with the Zolatone CONTINUALLY clogging the jet. So, I went with one of the old style paint guns with much larger jets (2.2-2.4mm) and had much better luck. I will try to get a picture up here of the gun I used, but can tell you guys I bought mine at "Home Depot" for about $55.00.

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134673

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134674

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
www.tcpglobal.com/docs/ZOL-20Series-Spatter%20Finish-TDS.pdf Hope this link works for the technical information on what guns to use, what settings and what techniques to follow for applying the separate coats. I will check back to see if link worked.

Dr.Go!

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134680

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Just bumped into this discussion and found it interesting. In my humble opinion...you know what they say about opins......their like noses, everyone has one... Did you ever think about truck bed liner? Less expensive, easy to apply with a roller, paintable and tough. Just a thought. Dr Go and I have both seen a complete SUV done with it and turned out beautiful.

Head compartment with carpeted walls and ceiling 6 years 5 months ago #134685

63 Sabre wrote: Just bumped into this discussion and found it interesting. In my humble opinion...you know what they say about opins......their like noses, everyone has one... Did you ever think about truck bed liner? Less expensive, easy to apply with a roller, paintable and tough. Just a thought. Dr Go and I have both seen a complete SUV done with it and turned out beautiful.

While I would agree with you on the price of bedliner VS Zolatone, personally I do not think that bedliner looks near as good as Zolatone. There are so many different colors of Zolatone now and a boat owner can customize the material to the colors of their boat.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)