Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Launch fails.

Launch fails. 6 years 6 months ago #134027

I had one of those days yesterday while attempting to play in the Niagara river. Launching in Chippawa at the new docks they've built in the last decade (it's been a while) I discovered two things, one - it's always good to put your transom plug in BEFORE you back into the water (I saved it though:)), and secondly, these new fangled concrete pads aren't worth a damn for traction. My prosthetic legs have no ankles so I can't really turn quickly and when my feet went out from under me I met the hitch in a most unpleasant way. I don't think I'll do either again. But it was a GREAT day on the water :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Launch fails. 6 years 6 months ago #134029

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ouch!!
That sucks. My local launch is about 25 years old and maintained by the county. The past few years the water level has been really low so they had a chance to extend the concrete and put in heavy grooves, the guys who think it's cool to drive on their trailers totally ruined the ramp ends by washing away the sand and it was easy to get the trailer tires hooked on the edge of the ramp. It was funny to watch folks burn up their tires before the improvement just spinning and smoking trying to pull their boat out of the water. 4X4's work best. We have a floating system of 3 docks that work really great. One problem is probably what you encountered, the concrete gets slimy with moss and when I have to step into the water to crank on the strap the feet start slipping around.
Here's an older picture of the floating dock(s)
Attachments:

Launch fails. 6 years 6 months ago #134035

That's a nice setup. And you are right, that concrete was glass on ice. It was more of a thud tho.... They did a nice job there but there's got to be something they can do to improve that surface. Have a great day.

Launch fails. 6 years 6 months ago #134057

oof. that looks painful. The ramp we use on the coast is heavily crosscut and textured concrete. My 2wd truck has no problem on it but my dear wife still managed to slide and fall knees first into the roughest part. Took her a few days to walk without bi...complaining...about it.

Launch fails. 6 years 6 months ago #134063

She has my sympathy. It looked good from above but once the soles hit the scum I was airborne. I'm going back this weekend and I'm sure I'll find a different place to put in. The good news is all my fuel and air issues (until the rebuild anyway) are taken care of so I should get a really good day or two out of her. Have a great weekend.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat