Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stopping a crack!!

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133779

I had my own ideas on how to deal with this, but thought I'd ask first before I do anything..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133782

my understanding is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the progression

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133787

i have heard that also...ron

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133788

Hole was my first thought,.. just didn't know if there might be something else I should do in conjunction with..

Attachments:

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133797

It is called a "stop drill". In order for it to be effective, you will need 1/4" hole. Problem is the plastic will want splinter out on the back side. I'd use a 3/16 bit followed by a stepped reamer to the final 1/4 size.

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133799

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentI would go with the smaller hole. You can then fill the hole with this UV glue. I bought this stuff online, cheap. It's plastic and can be sanded, buffed, and painted or just let clear.

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133801

Cal,

The idea of a stop drill is to provide a place where the stress at end of the crack is dissipated into the surrounding material. A smaller hole will not provide a large enough area to be effective long term.

In my 25 years of aircraft maintenance, stop drills were always 1/4"

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133806

I knew I was going to be drilling a hole.. Wanted to hear from some experience doing so,.. Lately I seem to rush into things without thinking it through.. I also ordered some Weldon3 to address the crack.. Its on the corner in a location that won't be too much of a problem aesthetically.. I'll just have to keep an eye on it,.. Its hard to believe that the windshield is as old as the boat.. Is there anyone making them??

Stan

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133811

i imagine if you can get an old classic re- manufactured, you can surely get a windshield. i think the company that makes the boats is in Canada. i had inquired a few years ago about making a twin of mine. they required all the spec's, and the hull is all they do. if i remember mine was $6,000 and you had to arrange shipping at your cost.

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133849

I chamfered the hole a bit,just to get rid of the sharp edge..
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr.Go!

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133856

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice looking work. I assume best to use the sharpest (new if possible) bit. Do you use somewhat slow rpm and little pressure? I am picturing a small continuous spiral of plastic rotating around that bit. Did you do a tiny pilot first and then also drill from both sides to prevent chipping before you chamfered? I just want to get this procedure correct should I need to do it. Thanks for thread and picture!

Dr.Go!

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133863

Looks good

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133876

I used the smallest bit I had as a starter.. 1/16th I believe.. then up from there.. I used my Dewalt cordless, not too slow, don't want it to catch the edge of the crack and tear out material , but not too fast.. no pressure!! The bit will try to pull itself if you aren't careful.. used a step bit, by hand, to chamfer the hole on both sides.. My Weldon3 came today, so I used that in the crack itself.. Hopefully it will stay put..

Stopping a crack!! 6 years 7 months ago #133877

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks for that detailed explanation. Just what I needed. Good luck with the rest!

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8293 guests and no members online