Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Who makes this boat?

Who makes this boat? 6 years 8 months ago #133065

Good morning, I am new to this forum. I own a 1965 MFG Edinboro and decided to take on a new project. I need help from some more experienced folks like yourself. I picked up a 14' fiberglass boat in Rhode Island, which appears to be of 1971(date on title and registration sticker still on the boat). There is a curious emblem on the boat, "Hawkline" with the address of a marine dealership in Providence, RI. (no longer in business).

Much of the boat is intact, upgrades include teleflex steering. There's no power for it yet. Looking for same era engine. It is a little wet in the through hull, still draining 16 oz a day (8 days.) It's not too far gone, not crazy heavy at all.

Looking for some ID on the manufacturer, perhaps New England made?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Warwick, RI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who makes this boat? 6 years 8 months ago #133071

did a little digging, and found this on I-boats:
This may be a lead to your search ?

Re: What boat is this?

I have a 1959 Hawkline
It was sold to my grandfather new by the Hawkins (no relation to the Hawkline name) brothers (George and Nelson) who had a dealership in Providence, RI I believe
Nelson actually lives around the corner from me. I asked him recently about where the boats came from and said they were built in Maine.
He couldn't remember the name of the yard or the town but he mentioned visiting Shaw and Tenney (Orano, ME) during the trips.
I'm trying to get more information on the boats myself, bu definitely built in Maine.

The attached ia 13' Hawkline built in '59

I then searched fiberglass boat builders in Maine, and found this:
maineboats.com/print/issue-146/classic-maine-plastic

Hopefully this gets you closer to your goal ?
Attachments:

Who makes this boat? 6 years 8 months ago #133072

Hi Chuck, Thanks. I think I saw this information online as well. The Maine boat yard is a paddle and oar maker. I've seen, "Hawkline" type of boats, but they are newer models, different types. I'm still on the search.

Thanks,

Mark

Who makes this boat? 6 years 8 months ago #133073

what caught my eye was that rendering of the early brochure. It has the same looking pocket between the windshield and steering wheel

Who makes this boat? 6 years 8 months ago #133075

Thanks Chuck,
I must have hit the wrong link from boats previously. You're right! Thanks. My old timer outboard guy confirmed the Corson Company too. A fascinating family story too.

I appreciate your help.

Mark

Who makes this boat? 6 years 7 months ago #133113

Hi Mark,
I did find a connection between Hawkline and Corson, saying that "During the 1960s, the family team, including father Freeman, and sons Anson, Linwood, Clayton, and Gregory, turned out as many as 350 boats a year under the Corson and Hawkline labels." This catalog shot is from an early sixties Corson brochure. Each of their boats had a rather distinctive deck design, so are easy to tell apart.

Lee Wangstad
Attachments:

Who makes this boat? 6 years 7 months ago #133117

Thanks Lee, The 14 footer is identical to mine. I believe it is a Corson. I appreciate your help and research.

Cheers!
Mark

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)