• Page:

TOPIC: Charging onboard electronics?

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133021

• ultraclyde
  • ultraclyde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
After adding a hard mount for my phone so I can run navigation, I'm leaning toward adding a 12v port to charge the phone and VHF if they get low. I'm concerned about the unregulated voltage coming off my '73 Evinrude being detrimental to something I might plug in to charge. I did the cheap Briggs & Stratton regulated rectifier mod, but I still commonly see over 16 volts when running WOT. It's not worth paying $100 for one of the C&D regulated rectifiers. I considered buying a large jump battery (the cell phone type) but that's just another battery I have to keep charged. Has anyone else addressed this issue in another way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133028

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I have not tackled that specifically. However, I do take aboard my portable 1000 amp car jump pack for several reasons... covers me or any other fellow boater if they have a dead battery and gets them back to the dock. It also covers those smart phones, and blue tooth speaker recharges because it has a built in USB charger...also can plug in my mini USB corded fan for hot camping nights. It is another thing to have on board, but it has really come in handy often. Sorry it doesn't directly address your question, but just wanted to share a simple alternative since I always have in my tow vehicle anyway.

Dr.Go!

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133036

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I've looked at those and that is an option. I actually carry a backup SLA starting battery for jump duties, and replacing it with one of those would be a much lighter option. It was new with the boat but undersize for the spec on the motor. I keep it in a forward cubby in a box but it's not connected to anything.

I was digging around Amazon and found many companies that make "marine" USB outlets that are meant to be dash mounted and wired in to power. Most of these are approved for use on 12-24v systems. I'm assuming since they drop the output to the USB-standard 5v and they can deal with 24v input that the 16v peak and fluctuating voltage wouldn't be a problem. This should cover almost anything modern that I'm charging (phone, gps, vhf,etc) because they all have USB charge cables.

I'd still like to have an old school 12v socket for anything else I run into, but I haven't seen one that's regulated. Of course maybe I'm over thinking it and I should just assume that anything that is old enough to use the 12v plug will be able to handle more voltage variation... I'm not sure what I'd use it for anyway...

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133042

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I just use my 12 volt receptical for plugging in my USB plugins on our 1965 boat with a 1965 1000 Mercury and our modern pontoon 12 volt receptical. The Corresponding USB car charger for the phone or tablet is the correct amps and volts. All of our electronics are energy eating beasts and usually need recharging by the end of the day. I've looked at a couple of dash mounted dedicated USB recepticals but have made do with the current 12 volt recepticals. They are fused just as our fancy fish and depth finder wiring is back to the battery, so the fluctuating motor voltage might not be an issue. Good Idea to have that handy dandy battery pack with just in case the main battery dies. We have a main battery shut off when the boat isn't in use also.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133047

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I may borrow a few more for myself. I have an old hand held spot light that has the 12volt cigarette lighter plug in that fits the old receptacle. I still like it chrome vintage look...it does get hot, so maybe one day I will go to the LED spot.??.

Dr.Go!

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133068

Ultraclyde wrote: " I did the cheap Briggs & Stratton regulated rectifier mod, but I still commonly see over 16 volts when running WOT."
Well that sucks.
I put one on my latest Monster Merc projects, but I haven't started it yet.
I guess I shouldn't have posted what I installed until after I confirmed it worked right.
Sorry Ultraclyde,
doc

Charging onboard electronics? 6 years 8 months ago #133070

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
hey, don't sweat! It wasn't charging my battery and now it does. The B&S was cheaper than the evinrude part. It's a win, the regulation part was just gonna be gravy!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7746 guests and one member online