Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Floor coating?

Floor coating? 6 years 8 months ago #132958

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 57' fiberglass boat. The floor is really dark. Can anyone tell if this is normal or has it been Rhino lined or some other coating been applied?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Floor coating? 6 years 8 months ago #132961

Lakeplay

That looks like a 1957 Herters Deluxe and that is not how the floors came from the factory. Herters boats have a problem with the screws leaking that attach the inner aluminum structure to the keel as the boats get older. Looks like someone's fix was to add layers of fiberglass cloth and matt and then a heavy coat of black resin. It looks pretty thick. Either they removed the transom skids or covered over the hardware holding them on.
If it's going to be a user boat it's probably OK, but if you want to bring it back to original it looks like a lot of work to remove it.
I've attached a pic of original floor.
It shows the original gelcoat that was a dark gray with off white spots. It also shows the smooth cloth where the gelcoat has been worn off and a repair the owner did to stop leaking around the transom skids. The 2X4 and steel rods were also owner mods to support a bent and broken transom.

Don
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lakeplay

Floor coating? 6 years 8 months ago #132963

Don,

Thank you for the detailed reply. My intentions are to restore a boat to original. The "fix" that was done sounds like it may hurt the resale value. I'm not really trying to make money on these classics, but I don't want to throw good money and time into something that may not keep its value.

Steve

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)