Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New & Need Some Help! Cutter?

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131916

New here and new to the boat scene i picked up a free boat the other day. Let me just say i like odd stuff and i'm a big car guy and love old cars. So when i seen this and seen the fins i had to have it. It's rough didn't expect it to be good as it was Free lol.
I think i got a 1958 Cutter 15' Jet Deville??

Does anyone have any information on these or part availability and main thing were the id tag would be?!! If it's missing id plate i guess i won't bother fixing it for the lake but got other ideas if not. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131920

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome to the site! You came to the right place for all the info on you new boat. Can't go wrong on anything with fins these days. If you are the car guy there are lots of fellas around that fix up the old fins to tow behind a matching late 50's mopar or Chevy. Makes for great show appeal.
Also like that Jeep XJ in the background. I sure miss mine.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131924

Welcome aboard, glad your here. Well I'm not a cutter expert but scour the whole boat. Check back around the transom and up around and under the dash. There are a few folks on here who have or had Cutters and they can chime in. The finned boats are always great to restore.

Bob

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131925

Thanks and i had a 56 Plymouth 2dr belvedere it would of looked great behind but got rid of it (smh dumb me) but i do have a 96 gmc seirra 2wd step side i'm about 90% done with the factory Indigo Blue Metallic which i think this boat painted that blue and a white would look great pulled behind my truck.
But if it has no id plate then i would never be able to register it.
Thanks the jeep is my daily 230k tough as nails and love hate relationship lol

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131929

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My XJ had 439k original motor, and then rolled it. ya....love hate. What state are you in. There is always a way to register your boat or get new paperwork for it, Don't give up.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131933

o wow lol this jeep won't see that much millage rust/rot is taking over. I'm in Upstate NY 15 min south of canada and west of Vermont. Ny has a simple policy for cars 1972 and older a pencil over of the vin and some paper work and your done. Not sure about boats. But if this is missing a vin plate idk what to do i'll have to check it over close and look under dash/around transom closer. only thing that told me it was a Cutter was google images and the little cap near dash that says Cutter.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131934

You probably will not find a Vin number or plate on your boat. Boats were not required to have them until 1972 so you may not find one. I would check with your DMV and tell him your boat never had a Vin number what is their policy

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131936

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Is there any old registration numbers on the hull? Maybe some darker shadows that you might decipher. Any bill of sale or a receipt from the PO that might help. Maybe your DMV could assign a number to it that you can either stamp into the transom or attach with a metal plate. Well worth taking a few extra steps. Ask more than one person at the DMV, some of the counter people don't know all the answers.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131938

Just checked it over no visible numbers no reg or bill of sale. I'll call dmv this week and ask them about it.
IF i forgot to mention this is the first boat i ever owned and only been out on a lake 3 times haha.
I've worked mechanically on some a little but that's about it. I know i should of obviously got something way better and running shape but wth it was free non the less. I see it must have been hit or something right at the pass side right under the corner of windshield its got a nasty crack and looks as a once poor repair.
Attachments:

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131981

Well called local DMV she said a bill of sale from the owner and if i got it over a year ago i could go to the local Sheriff station and have a letter head wrote up that it doesn't have a vin. So i guess ill go ahead and start working on it.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131983

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That's good news. Don't give up

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 11 months ago #131993

Well hit another snag i was out looking at boat and the damaged area and i must of over looked it but i spotted where the id plate was but is missing and see where someone put a grab bar partially over where it should of been kinda tells me someone else needed a tag more.
Attachments:

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 10 months ago #132106

Definitely a Jet Deville. I think its newer than '59. It doesn't have the rear deck like my '59.
Larry

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 10 months ago #132111

Probably more like a 61-62? i couldn't find much information on them i seen one that was claimed to be a 58-59 so i just based it off that. I love the size and looks but the ID plate is missing so idk what to do with it now.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 10 months ago #132153

I have a '59 Jet DeVille and the serial number was on an ID plate but also stamped on the underside of the port stern handle. There's a chance it's there if you have the original handles. Good luck.

New & Need Some Help! Cutter? 6 years 8 months ago #133571

Just wanted to jump in and help if I could. I believe you have a 1959 Cutter Como, it has the open rear area, like my Como. The Jet DeVille has a rear deck: www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=File:Cutterb59003.jpg

Mine was in a similar state when I got it, with some damage and miles of house paint over the gelcoat. After cleaning it out, I found a Cutter number molded on to the inside of transom fiberglass work. It was an oval shaped showed:
CUTTER
I believe that is sequential hull number because I've seen ones with 4 digits. But, I'm also doubtful that they actually built over 17,000 of these in a 2-3 year period. Either way, that is the number I used for a hull number to register it.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6061 guests and one member online