Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 Gulfstream Fury

1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12937

Howdy all, I used to be a member of this site back in 2000 and I am back! Back then I had just purchased a 1967 Gulfstram Fury. Members on this site were helpful in identifying the boat and helping me get it going. I lived in Denver Colorado then. I now live just south of Plattsmouth Nebraska on Beaver Lake. I have lived here since 2002. I still have the boat and enjoy it very much. I replaced the floor last year. That project involved replacing wood, floatation foam, motor mounts, new 3/4" marine grade plywood deck, fiberglass and carpet. I re-gelcoated the transom and a spot on the bottom of the hull. She turned out great and is about 250 lbs lighter due to the removal of the wet foam. This boat has a Mercruiser 160 HP stern drive with power trim. I have been told that 1967 was the first year Mercruiser offered the power trim. If anyone has any info or stories about this model of boat I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hec
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12943

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
She looks really nice Hec, welcome back. Post some more pics when you get a chance.

Mark

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12948

Mark, thanks. What is the best method for posting pictures? Can I upload them directly on the post? I tried earlier but didn't have any luck. I have a lot of pictures I can share. Restoration process etc..

Hec

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12953

• MarkS
Hec,
There are a couple ways to go about it, you can try this thread from the support column, it's got some good info on pic sizing.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/support/pic-sizing

Also, to post multiple pics in one post = put the first pic in and make the post. Then immediately "edit" the post to add another. This can be done as many times as you wish.

OR, you can post the link to photobucket or whatever by clicking the "Image link" button in the toolbar when you're posting.

Mark

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12960

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
she got a v-8? through hull exhaust? that is a bad axx looking ride. I like the lines and the way she sits in the water

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12965

G3jim,

Thanks man. I wish it had a v-8! It's got a Chevy straight 6 250 cubic inch. Mercruiser 160 Hp sterndrive. It doesn't have through the hull exhuast. The two rectangular grills in the transom are simply air vents that direct air from the bottom of the engine compartment out the transom. It sits low in the rear doesn't she. The motor, two 12 gallon tanks and batt probably are the reason. I know there isn't a drop of water below the deck anymore so it can't be saturated foam. I wish she would sit a bit higher in the rear. I guess that's how she is supposed to sit.

Hec

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12971

Hec In Beaver Lake NE wrote:

I wish she would sit a bit higher in the rear. I guess that's how she is supposed to sit.

Hec

I'll bet she sits just fine @2500-5000 rpm...

Nice boat!

Ray

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12973

• MarkS

I wish it had a v-8!

Look at it this way Hec, the V8 would be heavier and burn more gas! While I do understand the desire for more power, I'll bet that 160HP get the job done just fine. That's a beautiful boat, can't wait to see some more pics and hear more about the restoration process.

RE: Thru hull exhaust - I'm keeping up with a thread on another forum about this (I've always had a dream of owning a nice I/O with the pipes barking out the back.) and a lot of guys tell that they get kinda tired of all the noise after while. (Being an old motorhead myself, I can't imagine I'd get tired of it, but they may have a point.)

Mark

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12978

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
captains call or silent choice is a good option for thru hull
I find the throaty tones of a well tuned v-8 soothing

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12979

69Fabuglas,

I am running a Solas 14.75 x 15 four blade prop and I GPS'd the boat at 39.6 MPH on a calm day on Lake Ottertail Minnesota. She tachs out at 4,200 rpm with that prop. That's with the wife and two little kids and about 18 gallons of fuel. She planes out quickly but loves to run above 2800 rpm to keep from plowing through the water.

Hec

Re:1967 Gulfstream Fury 13 years 7 months ago #12981

Here are some pictures from 2001 of the boat being sanded down and re gelcoated. When I purchased the boat it was painted a metallic blue. Underneath the paint was the original yellow and avocado green gelcoat just like the pictures in this websites library. I changed the yellow to an offwhite and the avocado green to teal. I also changed the avocado green dash to gray. I will add pictures later on the floor project of 2008-2009. Yes it took me two summers (almost 3) to complete. Having a new baby slowed me down!

1967 Gulfstream Fury 4 years 6 months ago #141086

Restoring my '66 Gulfstream Fury hardtop. Any chances of sending me some detailed pics of your sweet looking float. Particularly the engine cover and back seats. Thank you
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)