Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another notable jet boat added to the collection.

Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129352

• Shake
  • Shake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Now, not only do I have a dorsett sea hawk, I have a pretty decent all original 59 or 60 beuhler turbocraft. Plucked from Duluth MN
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re: Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129359

NICE! Congrats.

Re: Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129361

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Priceless,,,nice haul

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129362

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks guys, was looking at another considerably closer and cheaper boat to pluck but decided to hold off before I call on it, then a bit later found this one, needless to say, I didn't hold off on calling on this one lol. I think, if I ever get this one going (which it is one of my most if not the most complete and solid boats) it would be great on the wisconsin river below castle rock damn down to the upper dells, as well as the lower dells too...

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129375

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
some pics I snapped today of the interior... the material is not brittle or dried out at all.. very pliable. Hoping it cleans up well...

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129376

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
and the nice and fresh canvas navy top.. I am however missing the frame...
Attachments:

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129385

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Shake, just about any canvas or auto upholstery shop can make up a frame four you.
I could use some info on that type of steering wheel you have. The one that is on my rocket has the silver inside the plastic center fading and disappearing. Do you know of any way to strip that silver paint off without harming the plastic? I can then splash paint inside the plastic to match my boat.

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129395

Shake...I also have a 60 turbocraft.I have a frame for the top but not the canvas.If you want to sell it,let me know.I can have one made,but I wouldn't mind having an original one.What motor does it have?Does it have the push button hydraulic gate control?

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129396

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Cal, I dunno what would remove the paint without fogging the plastic,,,, I wonder if possibly testors paint thinner might work... Let me know if you need more pictures...

Marko, it has a ford y block in it, It does have the hydraulic gate valve on it. as for selling the canvas, I will keep you in mind, but as it stands, it will stay with the boat as this is a pretty well preserved one owner boat..

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129401

Caution: do not use testors paint thinner to remove paint from a clear plastic piece, it will haze. Example: I have an old line control Cox airplane, AT6 Texan, and I wanted to paint the frame detail on the planes canopy. Well, I painted it but didn't like the results and thought I'd remove the paint and start over. I used some Testors Model Master thinner and was shocked when I saw that the thinner was clouding up my nice smokey clear canopy. I was able to lightly sand the canopy and restore the clarity a little but it's not the same as it was. I would be careful with thinners.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129404

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Did the steel wool thing this morning with 00. When I was finished there were brown stains on the inside of the plastic from age so I did a quick rinse with lacquer thinner and immediately washed it with hot soapy water (within seconds). Cleaned out the stains. I coated the inside with color match from the boat and now waiting a few days for that to dry. I have found over the years that if you want to bring back the shine on those small plastic pieces after cleaning a coat of high gloss clear lacquer does the trick. There was one crack in the plastic so that will probably show but I think it will be satisfactory. Pictures in a day or so.

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129413

Good to hear that you had success and that crack will only add character!!!!

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129427

That is an awesome looking boat!! It looks to be well preserved, a real 'survivor'. I love the upholstery in that era...and the dash too. Very cool and space age.

What does the jet look like?

20.5' 1966 ClipperCraft, 18' 1978 Olympic, and a 12' 1959 Elgin Car Top.

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129448

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Jet looks pretty decent, I'll have to have a closer look at it now that it's supposed to be a bit warmer this week.. the engine has surface rust on it, but beings this boat is in such great shape, I'm wondering if it might just run with some coaxing..... I think I will spend some time with it tomorrow....

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 4 months ago #129456

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That jet will be great for river running. Mostly calm protected waters, yet always surprises under the surface us outboard guys hate to hit...I learn a river, and then re-learn a river every time out. Now I run my fishing boat on the rivers and glassic goes on only the lakes I know (or I follow in an experienced boaters path since I do not have a jet.

Cool boat! Congrats on the find!!

Dr.Go!

Re:Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 7 years 2 months ago #130002

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just logged on to my go wild dnr page, looks like my title and registration are on their way for this boat, finally!!!! Boat never had a title in minnesota, and the registration was too old and was no longer in their records in MN, so's I had to prove to wisconsin that minnesota does not title boats 1978 and older or 16 feet and under, as well as send wisconsin the letter from minnesota that they no longer have record of the boat... I'll be more happy once the title shows up here in my hand though...

Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 6 years 9 months ago #133010

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
you can check out my progress on my facebook turbocraft fan page here.. Buehler Turbocraft & Dowty Turbocraft boats www.facebook.com/groups/264133554009196/
Attachments:

Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 6 years 9 months ago #133012

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Attachments:

Another notable jet boat added to the collection. 6 years 9 months ago #133020

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like you have a great start Joe. Would like to see more progress pictures here, facebook has too much garbage between posts.
Did the registration finally come through?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)