Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please help identify Wizard and Buehler ....

Please help identify Wizard and Buehler .... 7 years 11 months ago #121913

Great website! I've always been a fan of vintage boats. I have several in my modest collection and they are all awaiting restoration. Two of which I need help to identify, both the year and model.

The first is a mid- 1950's Wizard Boats Inc. 16' cutty no 01526M. Wizard Boats were based in Costa Mesa, CA and St. Joseph, MI. I can't seem to find anything even similar on the internet and I think it's a scarce and early model.

My second project is a little more common, it's a Buehler Turbo-Craft (jet boat) with a 185 HP Ford 292 Interceptor. I can't find the ID plate on this boat, nor can I find this exact model on the internet. But I believe this is the first or second year of production (1959-1960). Can anyone tell me where the hull number is located and possibly the year?

Looking forward to your responses...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #121939

Have you looked at the old brochures: www.fiberglassics.com/library/Wizard_(California)

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #121962

Yes sir, I have looked at the old brochures and it does narrow it down to a few models. But I really need to see some photos to positively identify my boat. Also, I'd like to know if the serial number will tell me anything about the year or model.

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122023

wizard.... I own a Buehler turbocraft [1960].The hull i.d. tag on mine is located under the rear seat,on the seat bottom support on the port side.The i.d. number will probably not yield any info as to the year of your boat.Info on these boats is not widely available.If you can post more info/pictures it will help.What length? What engine? A picture of the transom showing the steering and diverter/flume may help.I can tell you that the dashboard and windshield are totally different than mine.My research says the 59-60 models had Interceptor engines,two different 6 cyls and one V8.A number off the motor may help narrow it down,but keep in mind motors get replaced,some motors installed may have sat in the warehouse for a year or more before they got installed.Through the years Buehler used many brands and sizes of engines.

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122030

Marko, thanks for responding. Mine has a 292 V8 Ford Interceptor and it is 18' or 20' long, depending on if the jet is considered part of the overall length. I couldn't find a tag under the seat but the Hamilton jet pump has a tag that reads, "Hamilton Marine Jet, Turbocraft, Indiana Gearworks, Model No. 2233, Serial No. 2601-1". Is this the jet ID tag or the boat ID? I've added more photos to the first post.

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122039

Cool looking boats. Gene

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122115

Wizard,the tag on the jet pump is only for the pump itself,not hull i.d. I have never seen another turbocraft with that hull design,not even a picture of one like it.The gate and diverter assy. looks like mine.My gate is controlled electrically via push button control on the dash.The gate is raised or lowered hydraulically by a convertible top motor that was used in Ford cars at that time.I heard that some early boats had an engine driven hyd pump.Is the lever on the side panel your gate controller? If you post the engine no. I should be able to decode it and tell you what year and c.i.d. it is.Does it have one or two carbs?The engine number should be on the timing cover.I am in agreement with you about being a 59 or 60,just because of the style,with the fins splayed out like a chevy of that vintage. P.S. The other boat{Wizard] is just as unusual and cool as the Buehler.Keep posting,I will keep trying to help. Marko---OUT

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122132

The Turbocraft looks very much like an Arena Craft. Buehler was putting their drives into a few boats from different manufacturers during that late 50's early 60's era. I know that there are Borum boats with the Buehler drives in them also. There was a list of the different manufacturers that were using them from an article in Boats magazine from the early 60's.

Lee Wangstad

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122133

The engine has a label on the intake that says "185 H.P." and I believe it's a 292 since I think the 312's were 215 H.P. It has twin side draft carbs and the engine ID number is D82L03697. How do you decipher these numbers?
The cockpit has one lever on the left panel that is the throttle and a toggle switch that is labeled "forward" and "reverse". The toggle does not seem to be original but is in the original spot.

Re:Please help identify Wizard and Buehler .... 7 years 11 months ago #122178

According to the engine no. you posted,it is a 1960 292c.i. 185 hp engine.That is to say that it was not altered during its lifetime.If you would like a copy of the serial no. info,let me know.Is your info in your profile correct?

Re:Please help identify... 7 years 11 months ago #122179

BINGO! Thanks Lee! I did a search on the net and found a 1961 Arena Craft that looks just like mine. Now to narrow down the year and model. Also, I wonder how many Arena hulls did Buelher use in the early 1960's with Hamilton jets.
Dan

Please help identify Wizard and Buehler .... 6 years 5 months ago #134779

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Wizard, just wondering how your progress is going on the arena craft/turbocraft powered. Thanks, Joe
www.facebook.com/groups/264133554009196/

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Please help identify Wizard and Buehler .... 6 years 5 months ago #134781

Hi Joe;
Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the progress is negative right now. Last winter during a snow storm, a tree limb fell on the boat and broke the starboard side of the windshield. Now I'm trying to remember what car (windshield or rear glass) Arena Craft used for their windshield so I can find a replacement.
I month ago I picked up a 1958 Bell Boy 16' Express cruiser for $25. It was a flower pot and kid's playground in someones back yard. It needs tons or work but what a classy looking boat! I was happy to rescue it from the dump. I hope to get a shop built soon so the restorations can begin...
Dan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7088 guests and one member online