Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 55hp evinrude+14' boat ?

55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1103

55hp Too much motor for a 14' er?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1106

sounds ok to me....but then again I run an 85hp on a 13'7", an 18 on a 8'er
and a 125 on a 14'er......so I think your safe....
Attachments:

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1125

I don't think so. Have 228# Homelite plus fuel and battery on two 14-ft. Tomahawks.

Greg Anderson
Attachments:

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1130

Roy Roger ran twins Mark 55 (40 Hp) on a 14 ft wood hull (yellow Jacket) In 1957 when the first fiberglass Yellow Jacket cam out he ran twin Mark 75 on it for a few days, Story was after 3 days of trials he went and had them put the Mark 55 on it. I bought a 1957 14 ft Yellow Jacket with a 55 Hp on it. When it is all said and done I hope to have twin Johnson Gold Javelin 35 hp on it

CAVU

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1220

Your boat looks like its extremely light. I would suggest that you look for the lightest motor that'll do the job to your liking. A decent 55 would make that boat scream, but a lot of old boats get difficult to steer and control above 35-40 mph.. Most old boats do very nicely around 30-35 mph. I think a little OMC 28 would be great on there, you' be surprised how fast they are.

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1223

The motor turned out not to be a 55 but a 50hp short shaft evinrude, early 70s with push button shift. Its a pretty clean motor, he said it ran good but blew a fuse when u put it in reverse, im thinkin that should be an easy fix prob a bad wire or somethin?

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1224

Yeah sounds easy. Probably just some wire coating coming off and the wire is grounding out or a wire is just loose.

“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1228

Only one bad thing to say about the electric shift. If the coils go bad in the lower end they can be a bitch to change and find.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1237

thats a cool boat and that motor looks like soming out of a scifi movie and on you can never have to much power

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1238

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 50hp evinrude on my 14' sea swirl.
Attachments:

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 2 months ago #1239

That motor fails in forward gear, three wires run down to the coils, The reverse coil is the lower coil and may be shorted out,

I have a 1970 115 Hp that I have replaced the coils on before. I am now looking for a new (replacement) shaft. If I do not find one I mau be going to the machine shop, for I love the elect shift

I do have a mid 60 55 Hp Johnson that is up for sale that has elect shift..... can pull the Model # and find the year later. Ran last July, just have no use for it

Allam

CAVU

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 1 month ago #1747

Allam

I would like to talk to you about the 55hp Johnson.
I have a 1961 Texas Maid that I want an older motor for.
Thanks Matthew

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:55hp evinrude+14' boat ? 14 years 1 month ago #1781

Most of those older 14-footers were originally rated for 35-45 horsepower. Your boat looks to be a short shaft, but I could be wrong on that. Short shaft motors above 40hp aren't as easy to find. Many of the boats that get squirrelly with bigger motors are the old round chine boats. Yours has sharp chines, so that should help with stability a bit.

If you do put a 55 on it, be very sure the transom is rock solid.

Also, if you do find that the boat was originally rated for less, insurance companies have habit of not insuring you if your boat is overpowered.

- Scott

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7955 guests and one member online