Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected

1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9438

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Don't overlook modern engines for your Glassic.
Here's a shot or two of my new to me 58 Skagit 20 Express sporting said outboard.
I'll be using a laptop to tune her up soon.
You can't see any smoke, not even at startup.
I'm running the recommended XD50 oil in her injection system so she doesn't get Snarky on me.
The special spark plugs are expensive, boy what a difference going from NGK to Champion to NGK again. Both are listed by BRP, and the Champion part number is called out right on the motor data decal. She barely runs with the Champions. Put the NGK's back in with no other changes and she runs great. Twice I did that just to confirm.

I've run Mercs, OMC's, Homelite/Bearcats and had a ball with them all. To me, any engine that is safe n reliable is a good powerplant.
This one came with the boat/trailer, works sweet, so right now she's a good one. The summer is lookin' good so far!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9442

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for reminding me, I need to order a back-up set of BUHXW-1 for my 73 Johnson 115! I know y'all are probably tired of hearing me say this, but I won't run anything but NGK's. Screw 'em in and forget 'em until next year. (Routine maintenance, that's it.) That 99 is a sweet one Bill, glad to see you're putting her back in service. It's refreshing to hear from someone with an open mind.

Mark

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9482

You have to index the spark plugs in each cylinder on that engine. Am wondering if you are aware of that fact? Probably the reason for the NGK running better was that they just happened to be indexed better than the Champions. If not aware of how to do it let me know and I will go through it with you.

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9494

• billr
Hi Pappy,

Yes, I'm aware of the indexing procedure. No matter how the NGK or Champions were indexed in this particular V4 they run differently. So we'll be running the NGK's. Empirical testing!
I found it interesting that the NGK has a different reach/shape than the Champion 7712, both of which are called out as applicable for this model number at BRP. Calling around to shops/surfing www I encountered all kinds of controversy about which plug for which year, pinned heads vs non-pinned. As you probably know, there's a lot of strong feelings both ways about the entire OMC Ficht line. This boat was owned from day one in 1958 by an Evinrude/Homelite/Bearcat dealer and nephew, guess they knew which plugs worked. I learned something.

Another interesting point, the NGK's that came with the engine were really sooted up black upon first inspection. After running them under load pushing the Skaj, then running at idle for 15 minutes to flush her from the saltwater adventure they're now a beautiful tan color, don't even look like they came from a two stroke. They look like new plugs with an hour on them.
Which tells me something about the engine.

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9550

You've done your homework!

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9648

I was wondering as you said you ran bearcats and now this boat with a new engine what would be your recomendation for a repower? I am debating on what route to go with. I have the old super-seahorse that I am going to try to repair the fuel pump and impeller. But my boat came with twin 35's according to my grandpa and I think that the twin units look awsome on the back of a vintage boat. I was debating on finding a pair of bearcats or a pair of newer 40-50 hp units. What would your recomendation be?

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9650

• billr
Nick,
Depends on budget, if you want the look period-correct, desired speed, transom condition etc.
A pair of Homelite or Bearcat outboards would be plenty of power for your Uniflite, no smoke, fuel efficient etc. They'd weigh more than your twin OMC big twins of course. And be less expensive than a pair of newer engines. If you have wife/kids/dogs aboard the smoke issue can be the difference between enjoyment and despair.
I initially thought I'd run twins Bearcats on the Skagit but every time I get one running someone buys it! I didn't expect this engine to run since I paid a paltry $1500.00 for the entire package (yeah I'm a thief, but this package was on an FG spinoff site board and everyone passed her by for all the total resto required boats, freakin amazing but not exactly surprising), and since she runs fine (geez am I lucky or what, check the pics of the Furuno radar/chartplotter that came with her....!) & I'm pragmatic, the Ficht just stays put for service.

Nice looking Uniflite! 17 or 19? I've met Art Nordvedt a few times, the founder of Uniflite and general manager at Bell Boy prior to that.
You're welcome to ring me direct 360-914-0256 to discuss options, then you can make an informed choice, whether Homelite/Bearcat or not. I'll share advice with you based on direct experience, not guesswork or speculation.
My websites have lots of info too: www.bearcat55.com

Here's pics of my Power Cat with twin 55's, nice ride and maneuvering around docks a breeze with the twins.
www.powercatboat.com/Group/BR_18dc/18c/18c.html
Nice cruise in the twenties and 34mph on gps at wot. But she was nicest at 20-23 as the engines were nice n quiet and sipping fuel, and of course the Power Cat ride is something you have to try to believe. Probably the nicest thing with the Bearcats (or any 4 stroke or direct injected two stroke) is while cruising at displacement speeds there is the distinct absence of visible smoke in your cockpit, no trail behind the boat, and no smell! Just the quiet hum of the good ol' Homelite putting around at a quart an hour.
You don't need to carry as much fuel running the fuel-efficient engines, an oft-overlooked benefit too.

Attachments:

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9707

She's a 19' Express. I havent found much info on this particular size other than the brochure. In fact I have only seen one other one in North Idaho. I did find out that it is a 1961, my grandpa bought it back in '64. He kept every piece of paper on this thing. I even found the origional Uniflite ashtray. Ill post that pic tonight. I must say I am very impressed with the Uniflite design, it rides pretty well and has massive room for a boat this size.
I will try to give you a call this week sometime, I would like to pick your brain about the powerplants.

You're skagit is pretty well equipped for a 20 footer, radar and all you're pretty well set. But i Gotta ask if you still have that Dolphin Salty. That is bar none the coolest little boat I've ever seen.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp, direct injected 13 years 10 months ago #9712

• billr
Yes, still have the Dolphin Salty.
She's sitting in a Costco shelter alongside the Skaj.
Have had her out twice this year now, once I got the Skaj she kinda sat for a spell.
She needs a Bearcat on her.
Boy, she IS a unique boat. Really beamy similar to a Dorsett San Juan or POwer Cat.
Here's some pics of her in April.

Your Uniflite is a rare boat too. I have only seen one other Uniflite 19' Express cruiser.
How about some interior and cockpit pics?!

I too like 19-20' cabin cruisers. It's like your own private island on the weekend, yet still fits in a Costco shelter.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)