Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removing a motor from the boat

Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9190

I am pulling off an 1963 40 horse Johnson from an old Larson Lapline and I want to make sure that I don't mess up the controls. Any advise on methods to taking it all a part? I'm hoping to get the motor looked at but I can't even get it down from the up position. Thank you for any advise. DC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9224

i use masking tape to mark where everything goes,usually at the connection,i mark one side 1 and the other 1,then the next connection 2 and so on,i also take pictures before i take it apart example
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9252

Thank you for the advice. I will add that to the list. Most of it looks fairly easy to follow but this is the first time with all of the controls for me.

Re:Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9383

Nothing beats a factory manual.
I used masking tape with the written place where it goes.
Then after it was off for a year I couldn't remember what was what on the engine side. Luckily I can read, and I had the factory manual.
I remove the engine every year for winter, and this year I hooked up the battery connection on the wrong side of the solinoid, even though it didn't seem right. It started to turn over the second the battery conn. was touched. OOps.
I am likely going to buy a engine hoist since they are so cheap, and my 70 yr. old f-i-l always volunteers for such duties. I no longer feel it is safe removing 200 lb motors by hand anymore.

Re:Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9409

That motor should have a plug in from the control box to the motor. Then all you have to do is disconect the throttle cable and shift cable. O yes fuel line.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Removing a motor from the boat 13 years 10 months ago #9667

jim18611865 wrote:

Nothing beats a factory manual.
I used masking tape with the written place where it goes.
Then after it was off for a year I couldn't remember what was what on the engine side. Luckily I can read, and I had the factory manual.
I remove the engine every year for winter, and this year I hooked up the battery connection on the wrong side of the solinoid, even though it didn't seem right. It started to turn over the second the battery conn. was touched. OOps.
I am likely going to buy a engine hoist since they are so cheap, and my 70 yr. old f-i-l always volunteers for such duties. I no longer feel it is safe removing 200 lb motors by hand anymore.

i bought an 1100 lb hoist from harbor freight last year and it does great so far,i use it to hoist my homemade foldup 4x8 table into the rafters ,and removed my boat motor easily.the reason i hoist my table is my garage is only 14x24.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'