• Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude Speeditwin 28

Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #7733

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a 'new' motor yesterday, an Evinrude Speeditwin 28.

The model # is 28352A, which I believe makes it a 1963. It appears to be in great shape, and supposedly runs well, though I have not seen/heard it run yet. It's even got electric start. It was under $100, so I took a chance- It should be a good motor for my Lake N Sea unless I find a slightly older one that I like better.

Does anyone know about these motors? Good? Bad? I see that a number of the parts (carb kits, impellers, etc) are still readily available.

I found a 1964 service manual for the speeditwin- I am ASSUMING that it's the same as the '63 model, unless someone can tell me differently... I haven't bought it yet, I wanted to make sure that it would be for my motor, too!

Any input/info on the motor would be greatly appreciated!

-Andrew
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #8283

Solid motors. Based on the earlier Johnson and Evinrude 30hp models and shares many parts with them. As with any new-to-you motor, assume it needs a full top to bottom tune-up. Start with a compression check (100+ psi, no more than 5% variance). Ignition, fuel system, and cooling system follow.

- Scott

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #8285

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, Scott...

Compression check was going to be 1st priority, since I know nothing about the motor, and the previous owner didn't know anything, either... They had picked it up at an estate sale.

It looks like it has been in storage for a LONG time...

-Andrew

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #8301

Pull the flywheel and check the coils for any cracks plus while you got the flywheel off you may as well clean and set the point. Then the big one dorp the lower unit and replace the impeller. Don't have the number handy but if you ask the guy over at AOMCI. Heres the link
www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember
These guy know everything you might want to know about your motor. They can give you the parts numbers you need. You can get the parts at any Napa part store but you need the numbers.
Need any more info email me glad to help I have 6 of the big twins and love them.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #8369

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
My Gramp had a 28 Speedi on his Lyman. My first boat ride was in his boat. I have a 28 now and I am slowly going through it. Already had it running.
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 10 months ago #8434

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice... I've always had a thing for Lymans, I grew up in Sandusky, OH only a few blocks from the old factory. My Grandfather worked for them for a while, and my dad had a 16 footer when he was a kid...

When I was still living there, the old "Lyman Boat Works" sign was still on the outside of the building.

The factory was used for boat storage for a while, and I kept my Century Raven there one winter, and got to 'poke' around the place a few times. Most of the good stuff was long gone, but I still managed to find a couple of old musty brochures and other paperwork, and there was a TON of Mahogany left in there, as well as some of the hull molds from their fiberglass days....

Now the place is a marina/bar.... Still called Lyman Harbor, though.

-Andrew

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 8 months ago #12254

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Did a compression test on this motor today- At least there's SOME good news from my shop o report. Both cylinders have about 105 Lbs... Looks like this one will be worth doing a little tinkering with.

Electric start works, too... So, At least I have power for the Lake N Sea- If I ever get to restoring it :)

-Andrew

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 8 months ago #12275

Remember to drop the lower unit and replace the impeller. You said it had been sitting for a long time. The rubber the impeller may be soft but the fingers will take a set after sitting for a long time and then it won't pump. You might want at take the starter apart and lub the bushing at both ends with some light grease. Don't put any lube on the bendix. Just clean it adn make sure it works freely.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Evinrude Speeditwin 28 13 years 8 months ago #12278

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, Mike. It'll be a while before I need this motor, I've got to restore the Lake N Sea first. I'll wait 'till then to replace the impeller- So I don't have to do it again once I'm ready for the water :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7489 guests and one member online