• Page:

TOPIC: 1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help

1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5572

• retro54
  • retro54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day. I am going to be traveling 1 hour each way to see what a gentleman describes as a 30 HP 1956 Evinrude Lark this weekend, and as I am not particularly familiar with this exact motor, I was wondering if someone could help me out with some information.

I said that i woudl be able to go between $100 and $150 on it, once i see it, he said come on out.

he said he used the serial number to date the motor as a 1956. It is a Lark model, with lark script and Evinrude emblem on each side, but missing the Evinrude Script on each side.

Has no tank, but has all lines from motor to go to controls, does not come with original controls.

the motor does have compression and does turn over by hand.

What do you think about my offered price? I have left myself a window that the higher number may be offered by inspection only...

Is is a 1956? What should I look for with this particular 30 HP model? Anything major that would go wrong with these things? The boat does have controls on it, what do the correct controls for this motor look like? IF I see them, maybe they are correct and I can get them. Seems to me that Evinrude and Johnsons from this vintage are pretty darn reliable.

Here are some pictures, interested to see what you guys think!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5577

Well, it is a 1956, but some of the really good Lark bits are missing. The Lark had a small "door" that covered the choke and carb adjustment knobs. The door was somewhat flimsy, so it is often missing. Also, as you noted, it is missing the Evinrude script logos.

No tank and no original controls makes it a $75-$100 motor to me. If you go $150 it had better have even compression and no water in the lower unit. Also, take a look through the window in the top of the flywheel (under the recoil) and see if it has updated coils (originals WILL be cracked). If so, they're about $20-$25 apiece.

It's a good start. Someday someone will make a run of those face plate doors and make a mint...

Re:1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5583

Depends on what you want the motor for: parts, a user motor, a candidate for restoration to match with a boat. Figure into the costs for each use: parts (the value of the parts to you), user motor (tune-up costs / gas tank / controls / remote start wiring), restoration candidate (condition and missing parts).

Don't be afraid to walk away or make a lower offer based on what's missing and what the motor needs. There are lots more motors out there if you're not too particular about a certain year/model. I followed a whim, and now have 3 1957 Evinrude 35s and parts when I really would like 2 1960 Evinrude Larks in order to complete my boat restoration.

Here are a couple scans of the owner's manual for the 1956 Evinrude Lark
Attachments:

Re:1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5639

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks guys! both good advice...

If I follow it correctly... basically this Lark is an Evinrude Big Twin 30hp with extra trim and electric start?

I think I may make a run out and see what is up with the motor.. I am also going to send him those excellent scans and see if he does have the correct controls...

thanks guys!

Re:1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5661

I have a lark and johnson 1957 35hp and the big twins are easy motors to work on and part are easy to get. The 30hp you going to look at is baicly the same motor. IF it doesn't come with the electric control box don't worry it is easy to hook up a start button and start kill switch. I have most of mine setup that way. Even with good compression I would not pay over a $100 for it. I got mine for free and a little work.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
Ps
I have 5 of these big twins

Re:1956 Evinrude Lark Identification and Help 13 years 11 months ago #5667

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you everyone for all your help. I am ending up passing on this one, i don't think the owner would take $100, he originally was asking $350, then $250, and I don't want to spend a two hour round trip to try and coax him down.

I don't really need the motor, so I'll just keep looking :)

the advertisement can be found on the Altoona, PA Craigslist if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6726 guests and one member online