Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Putting a value to a motor?

Putting a value to a motor? 13 years 11 months ago #5367

I am trying to put a value on my 1963 johnson 40 horsepower outboard motor, because i am considering selling it. It is in perfect running condition all original no rust or corrosion at all on the motor, runs very strong and i've had it on the lake a couple of times. It also has electromagnetic shifting and operates perfectly fine. I have a 1963 arkansas traveler boat that originaly came with the motor as well, and it is currently under going a rebuild, i have redone all of the seats and about to start on refibreglassing some cracks in the hull. The boat is a 14 foot boat, and it is also in execelent shape for its age, everything is solid and no major rotting with the exception of the couple of minor cracks in the hull, the transom is perfectly fine with no rotting. I am going to repaint the boat and finish putting everything back together, and it looks about 25 years old not 45 years old. I am just interested to know if anyone can help me set a price range for this boat at all? I was considering that the motor by itself would be worth about $800 CDN and the boat would be worth $800 CDN. If anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be worth please feel free to let me hear your comments. Chris.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Putting a value to a motor? 13 years 11 months ago #5395

Hate to say it, but I highly doubt you'd get as much as $800 for your motor. A couple things work against it. Age, for one, and the electric shift unit, for two. Yes, your unit works, but a lot of people will be scared off by your motor having that. Not saying you couldn't get that much, but realistically you're looking more in the $300-$500 range...
- Scott

Re:Putting a value to a motor? 13 years 11 months ago #5399

The only vintage/classic motors I see go for good money are the really old antique row boat motors(example: Caille), vintage race motors (example: Mark 30H), and correctly done restored motors with all the fixins with lots of curb appeal (example: 1958 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35). There are exceptions to the rule.

Many people will overpay for a motor when they are new to the hobby. Here's a prime example:

Person A wants to purchase a motor to replace a motor on their existing boat or project and thinks their existing motor is too far gone to fix or will cost too much to fix since they can't work on their own outboards. They go price a new 35-40HP outboard and find they cost $4000+ depending on the model...

Same person finds your motor and sees $800 as a bargain for a good used motor without truly understanding the used motor market. Said person purchases your motor. It's all about perceived value. This is precisely why I see people pay way too much for motors on ebay all the time. They don't do their legwork and they only have themselves to blame.

Ask what you want for the motor. Give it time. If you aren't getting any responses, you are priced too high. Drop your price until you find a buyer. It may very well be at $800 or it could be $50 and a six pack of beer. With the economy like it is right now, it's a buyers market. And for those who do their research and legwork, there are screaming deals to be had.

I'd also take all the aftermarket stickers off it and clean it up. The next buyer isn't going to want that stuff on there anyway.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6207 guests and no members online