Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there a trick to getting the starter out?

Is there a trick to getting the starter out? 13 years 1 week ago #30016

1966 Starflite 100. The 2 thru-bolts are out (loose, not enough clearance to pull them all the way out), the flywheel ring is off, the starter drive is off.

It wiggles side to side but will not drop free. I'm a little reluctant to start whacking the starter gear with a mallet, seems like it should just drop straight down and come out. Do the rubber grommets around the thru-bolts hold it? Did I miss something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is there a trick to getting the starter out? 13 years 1 week ago #30018

There might be a small bracket on the bottom of the starter motor that is attached to one of the 7/16" bolts on the crank case cover. Be sure that the bolt on the crank case is removed. The two long bolts just drop down a bit so the starter moror can drop out of the barcket and jack-shaft housing. There is also a 9/16 or 5/8 bolt holding the jack shaft housing to the main starter bracket. The rubber bushing is an oil seal to keep excess oil from gumming up the starter motor. Leave them on.

Re:Is there a trick to getting the starter out? 13 years 1 week ago #30020

Bruce Gerard wrote:

There might be a small bracket on the bottom of the starter motor that is attached to one of the 7/16" bolts on the crank case cover...

There is indeed, and what a difference is makes. The manual didn't say anything about it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)